1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 600, which I use occasionally with the supplied earpiece. I've found that I no longer get audio out of the handset under normal use (i.e. calls). If I plug in the earpiece, audio is restored (through earpiece). Similarly, if I switch to speakerphone, I can hear just fine (through back speakerphone speaker). In all cases, the other party on the call can always hear my voice fine. I've soft-resetted - no change. Have also searched these forums for a similar situation, but nothing sounds the same.

Any ideas? Are there diagnostic programs that I can install to give more info on what's happening? I would be thrilled for someone to point out something obvious to me -- all I want is for it to work.

Fire away! Thanks,

--DAN.
    Do a search. It sounds like you are having a failure of your audiojack (it constantly thinks your headset is still plugged in.) This has been happening with more frequency it seems.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    I tried doing a hard reset on the device, in case the problem was software-related. No luck.

So now, I'm faced with repairing this phone, which is likely out of warranty. Any advice from anyone in this situation? What is the least expensive way to get a working phone? The Palm site lists an out-of-warranty repair at $180. Eeesh...
    Do you know your warranty date (##786)? I will try to search (it takes a little digging) but I thought I read about someone who took it apart and did something to fix it themselves.

I cant seem to find anything about how to fix it. I did read something about using a paperclip (but I wouldnt recommend just jamming a paperclip into the mic jack.)

However, if the problem your having is getting audio to come out the handset only after you have plugged in a wired headset, maybe freedom will work?

The new version has a manual audio output setting, a default to speaker on reset option, switch to speaker mode after ___ seconds, among other things.

Try out the demo (click here for it) and mess with the settings in the options before giving up and sending it in (assuming its out of warranty).
    Last edited by t2gungho; 07/27/2005 at 07:06 PM.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by daharrin
    I have a Treo 600, which I use occasionally with the supplied earpiece. I've found that I no longer get audio out of the handset under normal use (i.e. calls). If I plug in the earpiece, audio is restored (through earpiece). Similarly, if I switch to speakerphone, I can hear just fine (through back speakerphone speaker). In all cases, the other party on the call can always hear my voice fine. I've soft-resetted - no change. Have also searched these forums for a similar situation, but nothing sounds the same.
    --DAN.
    I'm having exactly the opposite problem (speaker works but headphone doesn't) but I also had your exact problem in the past. I brought the phone back to Sprint and it was fixed under warranty. ...

I tried doing a hard reset on the device, in case the problem was software-related. No luck.
    same here

The Palm site lists an out-of-warranty repair at $180. Eeesh...
    OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    ... However, if the problem your having is getting audio to come out the handset only after you have plugged in a wired headset, maybe freedom will work?
    In your case (and first headphone problem case), it looks like it thinks the headphone is always present. In my current case, it looks like it thinks the headphone is always absent. Freedom is allowing me to circumvent my current problem. (I never tried Freedom the first time as I don't think it existed then.)

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  6.    #6  
    T2: thanks for the suggestion. I did try Freedom under the trial version, and it didn't help in getting the audio switched back. Upon first trying it, I got a momentary crackle in the handset, but then nothing more. Earpiece and speakerphone both continue to work as before.

If you don't mind, can you tell me how to find out the warranty date? I don't know what "(##786)" in your previous message meant. Thanks...

--DAN.
    If you type ##786 and then dial, it will bring up all your phone's stats.

I just recently started having trouble with my beloved sprint t600 when the audiojack problem surfaced. I took it apart before when I replaced the battery (which still works great)

Well I tinkered around with the headset jack (Im no engineer) and found out that if you push apart the to contacts with a very tiny screwdriver (or knife blade), then the speakerphone button appears again (I don't want to keep doing this so I probably won't be using the audiojack very often).

I took two pics. The first one is the entire treo with the back removed (that black thing in the middle is the battery ). The 'top' of the treo is facing to the left. In the second photo, I zoomed in on the headset jack and circled where I made a gap with the two contacts (again using a blade or tiny screwdriver).

For those of us out of warranty

Pic 1

Pic 2
    Last edited by t2gungho; 12/22/2005 at 11:46 AM.

T2: thanks for the suggestion. I did try Freedom under the trial version, and it didn't help in getting the audio switched back. Upon first trying it, I got a momentary crackle in the handset, but then nothing more. Earpiece and speakerphone both continue to work as before.
    This brings up something else to check: As wierd as it sounds, move the "balance" slider (in PocketTunes deluxe) back and forth to see if this helps. I got garbled output when receiving a ShoutCast stream. I moved this all the way to the right and got no audio, then I moved it all the way to the left and got audio. Maybe PTunes messed things up on the T600 when they did the DRM fixes in 3.1.1. (The ShoutCast stream I was listening to at the time was "mono".)

If you don't mind, can you tell me how to find out the warranty date? I don't know what "(##786)" in your previous message meant. Thanks...

--DAN.
    Using the "built-in" phone application (and not a replacement such as TakephONE), press the #,#,7,8,and 6 keys in sequence and then press the "Dial" onscreen button. This lists a "warranty date" along with other lifetime statistics regarding your phone/data usage,and whether the phone is new or refurbished.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!