1.    #1  
    I just got the new 650. I put my SD card in and did a back-up restore on it so I would have all the data I stored on my 600 transfered to the 650.

Now the Treo is going through a reset loop that I can't stop! Here's what I see:

that bright PalmOne logo
    <reset>
    the gray "Palm Powered" logo
    message saying I don't have enough space
    <reset>
    <repeat, repeat, repeat!>

If I try to reset, the loop starts all over. If I try a hard reset, the loop starts all over.

Any ideas?!
  2.    #2  
    Never mind. I left it alone for a few minutes while I looked up answers online. When I got back it hard reset itself.
    Coincidentally, I also have my treo going through a reset loop tonight exactly the same as you described except that I am not getting the message about not having enough space. Unfortunately, it has not come out of it all by itself, yet.

In any rate I have been unable to get a hard-reset to work. Perpaps someone can walk me through the finer details of the hard reset:

I press and hold the red power button and then depress the reset hole my stylus. When I do this the PalmOne loading bar slows down considerably. I wait until the palm powered logo comes up and then release the power button (leaving the stylus depressed-- if i release the stylus, I go back to the loading bar.) I then get the 'press the up key to hard reset your treo' in several languages. I depress the up key and when i release it, the screen goes blank. Nothing further happens until I remove the stylus from the reset hole. But when i do, I'm back to my perpetual reset loop.

What am I doing wrong? I'm pulling my hair out here.
  4.    #4  
    This is what I was reading as it fixed itself. Check it out:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(887),ts=Palm_External2001#top
    yup, that's what i was using as my reference. so far no luck. Any help from the treo experts is appreciated.
  6.    #6  
    Spoke too soon. My stupid loop is back!
    SEARCH!!!!!!!!! RTFM!!!!! Come on guys...help yourselves out sometime.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyo
    I press and hold the red power button and then depress the reset hole my stylus. When I do this the PalmOne loading bar slows down considerably. I wait until the palm powered logo comes up and then release the power button (leaving the stylus depressed-- if i release the stylus, I go back to the loading bar.) I then get the 'press the up key to hard reset your treo' in several languages. I depress the up key and when i release it, the screen goes blank. Nothing further happens until I remove the stylus from the reset hole. But when i do, I'm back to my perpetual reset loop.

What am I doing wrong? I'm pulling my hair out here.
    Hold the power button down. Press (and release) the reset button in the back while holding the power button. Keep holding the power button until you get the palm logo. Then release the power button and push the up arrow.

Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    Hold the power button down. Press (and release) the reset button in the back while holding the power button. Keep holding the power button until you get the palm logo. Then release the power button and push the up arrow.

Brett
    Why would you do that?

Brett
    Thank you for the reply, BrettS, but I find that if I release the reset button, the screen goes blank for a moment and then it goes back to the loading screen.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Thank you for the reply, BrettS, but I find that if I release the reset button, the screen goes blank for a moment and then it goes back to the loading screen.
    um... yes... it's supposed to. Hold down the power button and press and release the reset button. It goes to the loading screen and you need to keep holding down the power button until you get to the palm powered screen. Then release the power button and you get the "press up to erase all data". Press up and you've done a hard reset.

Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    SEARCH!!!!!!!!! RTFM!!!!! Come on guys...help yourselves out sometime.
    That is somewhat LESS than helpful!

I don't know if it will work, but you might try the "zero out" reset. See Palm support site for how to do this.
    Last edited by westronic; 07/27/2005 at 10:42 PM.
    um... yes... it's supposed to. Hold down the power button and press and release the reset button. It goes to the loading screen and you need to keep holding down the power button until you get to the palm powered screen. Then release the power button and you get the "press up to erase all data". Press up and you've done a hard reset.

Brett
    I'm probably not being clear: I can get to the "press up to erase all data" screen and when I press up, the screen immediately goes blank. Nothing happens until i release the up button, at which time it reboots but 1) I see no evidence that it's actually undergone a hard reset and 2) more to the point, it does not break out of the reset loop!
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    That is somewhat LESS than helpful!

I don't know if it will work, but you might try the "zero out" reset. See Palm support site for how to do this.
    I provided them with two sufficient answers to their problem!! How is that less than helpful??
    I'm probably not being clear: I can get to the "press up to erase all data" screen and when I press up, the screen immediately goes blank. Nothing happens until i release the up button, at which time it reboots but 1) I see no evidence that it's actually undergone a hard reset and 2) more to the point, it does not break out of the reset loop!
    OK....if you get the press up screen and it's still in a reset loop....do it a few more times.

If that still doesn't work....try the zero reset. Do the same thing as the hard reset, just replace the red phone button with the up button...remember to hold!

That should give you limited access to the phone, but if the hard reset ain't workin'....I don't see why the zero out would.

If THAT doesn't work...then you're gonna have to send it back to Palm or your carrier, whichever one is quicker/easier.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    OK....if you get the press up screen and it's still in a reset loop....do it a few more times.

If that still doesn't work....try the zero reset. Do the same thing as the hard reset, just replace the red phone button with the up button...remember to hold!

That should give you limited access to the phone, but if the hard reset ain't workin'....I don't see why the zero out would.

If THAT doesn't work...then you're gonna have to send it back to Palm or your carrier, whichever one is quicker/easier.

Good luck.
    Thank you for your reply, gmdslm. For some reason on my initial reading of the "Reseting Your Device" document I thought that the Zero Out reset was exclusively for the Tungsten T5. I tried it, using your instructions with clarification from the documentation here.

For those of you following along at home, a Zero Out Reset (see "Method Two" at the above link) consists of:

* Power (red) + Up + HotSync (on hotsync cable or cradle)
    * Press and release reset button
    * Release all buttons
    * Device appears to go "dead"
    * Rejoyce that you have broken out of an infinite reset loop!

Long story short, it did the trick!
    This started yesterday . I even tried Zero Out reset. It goes "dead" for a minute. That tells me that I did the procedure right. Then it starts the reset loop again . Does this mean there is a hardware problem? Thanks.