Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I use #*SIGNAL on my Cingular GSM 650 I get a RSSI reading of 63452. From what I read I thought RSSI readings only went from 0-250.

I am trying to calibrate by signal booster at the office. Can anybody offer any insight/advice on how to use this hash code/or another utility to fine tune our booster.

TIA
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    search on shadowmites name. he posted a signal strength tool the other day in another thread.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks I found it. Signal meter. It is just what i need. Thanks
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    You can use ##DEBUG on Sprint Treos, #*#DEBUG on Verizon, not sure about GSM phones.
    DO NOT USE Signal Meter on a GSM Treo.
    I used it on my unbranded GSM Treo and it caused a crash.
    (my device was not crashing for months)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    DO NOT USE Signal Meter on a GSM Treo.
    I used it on my unbranded GSM Treo and it caused a crash.
    (my device was not crashing for months)
    I can assure you it works perfectly on GSM phones. Your crash might have been related to another app causing instability, but not my application. All it does is read from the phone library interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I can assure you it works perfectly on GSM phones. Your crash might have been related to another app causing instability, but not my application. All it does is read from the phone library interface.
    I have try it on my GSM Treo and it is fine. I have reading of 17 when in the basement (poor reception) and around 22 when outside the house (good reception) and threshold of 6. What does all these means
    Shadowmite,

you may be right. but my device resetted twice when I read the rssi with your app.
    Besides it does not give the same RSSI value with #*SIGNAL on my phone.
    If you are getting an RSSI of -17 something is wrong. if you are next to a tower, you may get -55 or so. If you get -103 to -104, you are in a weak signal area with lot's of dropped calls.
    I get RSSI 19 (not negative)
    but my #*SIGNAL command gives different RSSI
    What do you get with the #*SIGNAL command? Technically it should be a negative number since the unit is in Db. Shadowmite may have not included the negative sign to make it less confusing for the general public.
    Ok folks, let me give some clarity here:

My program never shows a negative sign, that doesn't mean it doesn't apply.

CDMA users will see negative numbers, as such, the lower the number the better. CDMA users will not get a threshold as this doesn't apply to cdma. Normal range is -70 to -120

GSM users will see positive numbers and range from the threshold to like 30 or so. Your best signal is with the greatest distance between the rssi and the threshold.

Furthermore, the signal command on GSM phones give completely WACKY results... I can not tell you what it means, I think it's gibberish and a goof in the programming of the application.
    DITTO. No issues
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
  14.    #14  
    So let me get this right. RSSI 19/ threshold 6 is better than RSSI 9/threshold 6?

That is odd becasue the lower number was plugged directly into my Yaggi arial mounted on the roof!

Help
    ... GSM users will see positive numbers and range from the threshold to like 30 or so. Your best signal is with the greatest distance between the rssi and the threshold...
    That explains the number I saw and thanks for the explaination.
    shadowmite first off thank you ever so much!

but a small favour/question. Would it be possible to augment the program to show dBms instead? and maybe also the wattage being used?

I'm sure this is a lot to ask for, but I was just wondering

again thanks again, works great on my unlocked 650
    me again

okay so i looked further into the app's description..i understand that you are having a problem with the GSM RSSI value...so im sorry for the request..

In terms of number grades it works (at least this is what i researched a while back) the same way as the CDMA

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=317148

The numbers are meant to be in the -ve, and the closer you are to 0 the better the signal is...and the further you are i think -150 is the mininum, the worst off it is....but i mean this is probably all redundant information for you and again im sorry
    oh hey shadwomite does this help

http://www.wildpackets.com/elements/...l_Strength.pdf

hmm apparently it isnt a standard conversion...grrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd
    search on shadowmites name. he posted a signal strength tool the other day in another thread.
    I did a search but could not find any link to the tool. Would someone kindly guide me to it please ? Thanks.

KeNg
    Quote Originally Posted by kittiyut
    I did a search but could not find any link to the tool. Would someone kindly guide me to it please ? Thanks.

KeNg
    here you go

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...8&postcount=48
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast