Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    Thank you very much hofo_mofo. Much appreciated
    There's a freeware application called Treo Helper I use that gives you signal strength (on a scale of about 1 to 25, I think), plus phone call status and also lets you set many options. Available at http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by kittiyut
    Thank you very much hofo_mofo. Much appreciated
    are you being sarcastic why you rolling your eyes at me
    I'm using signalmeter.prc on Treo 650 Cingular.

At my house I get RSSI: 16 Threshold: 6
    50 ft directly in front of antenna:
    RSSI: 32 and Threshold: 6

The application itself say that lower number is better, but I don't think so.

In my case, the higher the RSSI, the stronger the signal.

FYI

Anyone know if there's a palm os app that shows dBm ?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    50 feet in front of antenna? Does that mean you are standing at the BASE of the tower?

Cell antenna's are dairly directional- if you are standing at the base of the tower the antenna's MIGHT be shooting right over your head and so you see a higher number (and therefor a worse signal)

RSSI values I beleive are measured in NEGATIVE decibels. so the Higher the number, the more negative you are, so in fact lower RSSI's are better.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    50 feet in front of antenna? Does that mean you are standing at the BASE of the tower?

Cell antenna's are dairly directional- if you are standing at the base of the tower the antenna's MIGHT be shooting right over your head and so you see a higher number (and therefor a worse signal)

RSSI values I beleive are measured in NEGATIVE decibels. so the Higher the number, the more negative you are, so in fact lower RSSI's are better.
    using signalmeter.prc on Treo 650 with Cingular/AT&T:
    I get reading of 12/6 in poor reception areas and 26/6 - 30/6 in areas with full perfect reception.
    There are no negative values.
    I have no idea that threshold or interval means.

I wish I could find an app that accurately displays dbm.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I guess it's not showing an RSSI.

RSSI's have a bigger range and not sure what a threshold or interval is

sorry cant be of more help
    Yeah, whatever signalmeter shows on GSM 650 is not RSSI. The HIGHER numbers are better. Anyone try it on a CDMA 650? Does it also show positive numbers, and higher numbers for better signal?

I believe that "Threshold" is the lower limit that indicates that there is sufficient signal to make a call, but not sure.

Now if someone could just write a similar utility to grab the tower info and display it, that'd be exceptionally sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite View Post
    Ok folks, let me give some clarity here:

My program never shows a negative sign, that doesn't mean it doesn't apply.

CDMA users will see negative numbers, as such, the lower the number the better. CDMA users will not get a threshold as this doesn't apply to cdma. Normal range is -70 to -120

GSM users will see positive numbers and range from the threshold to like 30 or so. Your best signal is with the greatest distance between the rssi and the threshold.

Furthermore, the signal command on GSM phones give completely WACKY results... I can not tell you what it means, I think it's gibberish and a goof in the programming of the application.
    Did you read post #12 (quoted above)? Program works as indicated for my CDMA phone. Lower RSSI is better signal (- is not shown). From what the program developer says, the larger difference between RSSI and Threshold value indicates the better GSM signal. That seems consistent with your observations.
    Thanks jrfarris, I did not see post 12.
  11. VD
    Hello I got the distance from RSSI from Inverse square law.
    I got really good distance in free space but in distortion like wall I can not get actual distance.
    anybody has any idea how to remove distortion from RSSI and get actual distance?
    anybody knows any algorithm or any C code?
    Please reply me.
    Thanks in advance.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12