1.    #1  
    My phone just sits there with the PalmOne logo on the screen... but that little black progress bar at the bottom that uses to move no longer shows up. I've re-set it many times but nothing happens. I can't hard-reset because the PalmOne screen never changes.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I'm afraid that doesn't sound hopeful. You might check shadowmite's site (www.shadowmite.com) too. Did the update seem sucessful? Did you get all the way through it? Did you get any wierd error messages?

Brett
  3.    #3  
    The update was going great. The update was uploaded to the treo, and then it installed. It unpacked itself (screen showed from 0% to 100%) and that took a few minutes. Then I saw a bunch of text start scrolling up the screen. It re-set, then the palm logo showed... and showed... and showed.
    Try it again. Worst that can happen is you demand a new phone from Cingular and your old one will go back to the repair center to be reflashed.
  5.    #5  
    I can't... the phone won't pass the "PalmOne" screen, which means I can't sync with anything... therefor I can't upload the install files back to the treo... or enter the OS... or anything. It's just dead.

I called Cingular and their department that replaces phones is closed right now... so I'll call them in the morning and see if they'll replace it. I bought it through TreoCentral.com but I think Cingular still covers all the warranty work.
    Not a good scenario - it will be covered under the 1 year warranty for a failure like that assuming you had a legit ROM on it to begin with.
  7.    #7  
    Yep... I always stayed with Cingular ROM's. Phone came with the original ROM, I updated the last ROM (1.05 I think) without a problem... I'm guessing my buggy 650 may have had a hiccup and re-set during the flash (it would re-set even without having any third party apps on it or being synced to a computer lately). Oh well... hopefully the new one will have a few less bugs and it lets me start installing apps from scratch again.
    Try a "zero out" reset. Instructions can be found on Palm's support site - a search here will probably find you a link.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  9.    #9  
    Can't... I lost my sync cable on a business trip a while back. I have a cradle but it doesn't have a hotsync button on it so I can not perform a zero-out-reset.

I don't think that would solve this problem though. A zero out reset clears out the 3rd part apps and re-sets the ROM to it's default settings... but my system won't even startup. I think my flash just went wrong and my ROM is now destroyed. Doing a zero-out-reset would do nothing if it can't even read the default settings from a good ROM.