Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    when i run Goodlink, my DBCache goes from 9118k to 599k. This means that as soon as I run a few apps, my dbcache gets full and my phone crashes! Generally, the web browser works for a buit then tells me I have to free up memory (even though I have 6mb fee on the phone).

HELP. Anyway to do something about this?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Complain to Goodlink?

Don't run it?

Posting here probably isn't going to get much, if anything done.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    i never had this issue with my goodlink
    my goodlink takes 2megs

hard reset the phone and reinstall the good apps
    Our company canceled our 30-day Goodlink evaluation because of this. Every single one of our Treo 650s became useless. We tried everything they recommended... moving ALL apps that are not RAM-essential to SD card, PowerRUN, UMDH, DBCacheTool... everything! For anyone who uses their Treo 650 to do more than just Goodlink, the Treo because deathly hard to use. We had to soft reset to do ANYTHING other than Goodlink, then when we were done, we had to soft reset again just to load Good again.

While I know this is mostly Palm's fault for giving the Treo such crippled memory, I just wish it would work!

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
  5.    #5  
    thank you for finally letting me know that I am not alone! as soon as another similar device, non-palm comes out, I will change up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    thank you for finally letting me know that I am not alone! as soon as another similar device, non-palm comes out, I will change up.
    We have been using Greatlink (since 3.8) with our Treo 650s (Sprint, since 1.03) and Treo 600s (Verizon, unsure on firmware) without issue. Greatlink 4.0 only got better for us.

I do get the occasional "15s freeze-up", maybe once a day depending on signal strength and what I'm doing, but it's certainly not enough to seriously annoy us.

Viva la Greatlink,
    -jd
    I have the same issue. My DBCache goes from 10MB to 3.5MB when I run GoodLink. It crashes at least once a day for me depending on how often I use the other apps. I also have to reset once in a while to run some of the bigger apps like games.
    Same here - have 1.5MB dbCache remaining after GL init. It's mostly P1's fault, but I've asked/suggested that Good allow us to configure the amount of dbCache it takes up. Since the hardware won't change, I'll gladly give up more of my oldest email/contacts/etc to make enough room to run other apps.

Best partial workaround is to auto soft-reset once/day. With normal use, that delays a "required reset to clear cache" until later in the afternoon. Definitely not a complete workaround, but better than nothing.
    Can you provide more details? I and several others at my work are using the 30 day Good trial and are having no problems at all. Several have extensive number of applications installed.

We all have the new Cingular 1.15CNB updates on our phones and we do use SD cards to hold applications that fit on them. This may be what makes the difference?

Could you list the number of apps and what they are? Also what version of the update you currently are at?

We should be able to help you figure it out with all the 650 users around here.
    Electro-Tether - not sure who you wanted details from, but it doesn't have anything to do with the total number of apps that have been installed. Rather, it has more to do with the way the nvfs cache gets used by the OS and the apps themselves. If you haven't seen it already, check out this article for a good overview.

The fundamental problem is that 10MB of nvfs cache is simply not big enough when you have big apps like GL installed. For instance, here is what happens to the amount of free nvfs db cache on my Sprint 650:

Immediately after reset: 7642KB
    After GL init : 1119KB
    After VersaMail launch : 487KB

At this point, I can't run Blazer without getting the "There is not enough memory available..." message because the free nvfs cache is too low. The only thing I can do at this point is a soft reset which gets me back to 1119KB free after GL init. From there, it's rinse, lather, repeat after a few hours. Although your specific numbers might be slightly different than mine, you should be able to reproduce my symptoms.

This happens despite the fact my free ram is still 4.3MB. On the Treo600, free ram was the only limitation. On the Treo650 (with nvfs), we have to contend with both the free ram limit and the (often more constraining) free nvfs cache limit.

Don't get me wrong, I think the GL functionality and Treo650 are great things. It's the combination that's become a big disappointment.
    As you said: "I'll gladly give up more of my oldest email/contacts/etc to make enough room to run other apps." !!

I've also stated several times that giving an option to simply store less info
    in goodlink would be a fast, easy solution for many of us. Goodlink takes up so much memory because they reserve so much space in advance.
    Their customer service is absolutely horrible, they've known about the memory issue for quite a while now, and have done absolutely nothing to resolve it.
    I've switched to using a combination Xpressmail personal edition w/Cingular with Nexmail as a backup.
  12.    #12  
    I'm just so glad I'm not alone with these issues. I've tried every memory 'solution' out there and it took me a while to figure out its Goodlink that's the problem. supposedly Good 4.5 is out shortly. maybe they will fix it there.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I thought you guys were just a bunch of whiners. I was using Goodlink on my 600. I had to buy zlauncher to move stuff to my card, but after that it worked great.

I managed a free upgrade to a 650, and now nothing but trouble. I was a big fan of Good. Now I'm going to ask my IT dept to look for another solution. It just doesn't work reliably on the 650.

I'm very dissapointed that 4.5 didn't address this problem. It seems like the big "feature" of 4.5 was support for windows smartphones. That sure doesn't help us much.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I will alert the GoodGuy.
    FWIW, I've found a solution which, so far, seems to be working for me. Details are here.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    FWIW, I've found a solution which, so far, seems to be working for me. Details are here.
    I'm going to try this out. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
    Let us know how it goes. Hopefully it'll work as well as it is for me.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    In my opinion, and I now run Goodlink software myself, I think it's the biggest joke of a professional product ever produced. Instead of take advantage of the Treo's built in applications and API's to integrate them, they have re-created EVERY major application on the device at a cost of about 90% of the system resources. In a memory tight enviroment this is a un-acceptable level of incompetence by the programmers.

I think they have a killer gateway and idea for thier application suite, but they need to re-write it to use versamail/contacts/calendar built into the phone as it updates from the server.

In addition, they really need to make a option for polling delays so that it's possible to get some battery life back.

The dbcachetool fix mentioned above is a means of keeping the phone barely working. The fact is, you can't really run ANY software besides Goodlink.

I know several programmers are working on beating Goodlink to re-creating this app suite in a more professional manor. It's just a matter of time.
    I agree that GoodLink is not the "lightest" application, but in our environment it has been extremeley successful. For one, the users that we have deployed it to are only interested in a wireless/mobile PIM solution that syncs in real time with Exchange. Except for me as the IT Manager, folks like the VP are not trying to run anything else on it. Don't read this wrong, I'm not excusing the application as a resource hog, but simply putting out there that for our userbase, this is a non-issue.

We looked carefully at GoodLink and BlackBerry for possible solutions and GoodLink won out for many reasons. I'd be interested to see what other solutions come along, but there are several things that would be critical. Encryption from end to end (Email server, through DataCenter to device) is one. The other thing that has been impressive is how products like GoodLink actually work between the server and the device. We have never really had any issues with downtime at Good's data center, and that model is actually pretty good. When a device can't be connected, the traffic is held at the Datacenter....if the email server is offline for some reason, samet thing.

All in all, yes GoodLink is hog, but that being said, I still think it is a great application and has extremely successful in our organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    In my opinion, and I now run Goodlink software myself, I think it's the biggest joke of a professional product ever produced. Instead of take advantage of the Treo's built in applications and API's to integrate them, they have re-created EVERY major application on the device at a cost of about 90% of the system resources. In a memory tight enviroment this is a un-acceptable level of incompetence by the programmers.

I think they have a killer gateway and idea for thier application suite, but they need to re-write it to use versamail/contacts/calendar built into the phone as it updates from the server.

In addition, they really need to make a option for polling delays so that it's possible to get some battery life back.

The dbcachetool fix mentioned above is a means of keeping the phone barely working. The fact is, you can't really run ANY software besides Goodlink.

I know several programmers are working on beating Goodlink to re-creating this app suite in a more professional manor. It's just a matter of time.

While you are absolutely entitled to your opinion of the product, I think the term "incompetence" is a bit overkill. The fact that Palm decided to only put 32MB of RAM into the 650 and the way they address those memory blocks is a major issue as it relates to running GoodLink on the Treo. The reason for not using the Palm native apps such as calendar and contacts was more along the lines of the GUI as opposed functionality. GoodLink is designed to mirror Outlook (and next year, Notes) as closely as possible.

As for others that are working on beating GoodLink, obviously that could very well happen. However, in my somewhat biased opinion, the security model, the cross platform support (Palm, PPC, WM and soon Symbian) will hinder development of the "GoodLink Killer". Could someone come up with a solution for the Treo that is as good, if not better, than GoodLink? Sure they could. I would be foolish to think otherwise. But can they develop a solution that provides end-to-end security, full real time sync of all data and have it run on mutliple OS'? Possibly, but not anytime soon. Microsoft hasn't, RIMM hasn't, nobody has, not even Good...not yet anyway

As it relates to battery life, that is also a function of the power management capabilities of the device and the OS. We are working with hardware manufacturers and the OS folks to help improve this. The work-offline changes in 4.5 create a work around for the polling feature you are looking for. However, bear in mind that GoodLink was, and is, designed for real-time, push email. There are other scheduled-pull solutions out there that might meet your needs.

Thanks for your feedback and I have forwarded your concerns and comments, along with others as it relates to the memory issues, to our Product Management team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast