Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    The dbcachetool fix mentioned above is a means of keeping the phone barely working. The fact is, you can't really run ANY software besides Goodlink.
    shadow - I think that's an overstatement, at least for me. The purpose of my post was to say that I've finally been able to run any of the 105 apps (including Java in ram) I have had since my 600.

    No argument that the GL memory footprint, especially combined with the 650 NVFS subsystem, spells trouble. However, with tools like dbCacheTool and Resco Locker, I've found a workaround which works well for me. Given I love my Treo and didn't have a choice to use anything but GL, I've been willing to work through all the issues.

    For the average consumer though, I agree, they probably wouldn't try to use anything but GL at least in part because the NFVS subsystem is so poor in managing the cache. For them, their Treos are then basically a BlackBerry with a different form factor.
  2. #22  
    I have to say that I'm glad I just decided to check the message boards because I literally today just did a hard reset and restored Versamail (as pathetic as it is) so that I could use the other apps on my Treo. I do like GoodLink a lot especially the push capability, but the memory isssue really just does render my Treo to be nothing more than a better-looking blackberry. All of the additional apps that I use are for both work and a few for personal business and pleasure. I have not "removed" the Good Install because I'm hoping that some fix will come soon and since my company's paying for the license, I'm going to wait to go so far as a permanent removal.

    In the past two weeks, i've spent so much time resetting my treo and bought zlauncher and then tried power run and just still had a world of problems. Vindigo for which I pay for a subscription and even Avantgo still became unusable, much less programs like smartlist. I have tried every use of the SD and still couldn't work. I might be so bold as to try Resco and DBCachetool, but seeing as I'd have to do another hard reset to move all of the items off...I'm not so sure I have the patience to try.

    I think GoodGuy has done a good job and I think Goodlink has a good product, but obviously the memory issue is just a problem.
    Waynew73

    (m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
  3. #23  
    Why doesn't anyone talk about Seven Inc.'s product? Sprint Business Connect, Cingular Xpress Mail.

    The client for this does not take up lots of RAM. And it is push e-mail to sync with Exchange server... The Corporate Edition must be a competitor for GoolLink?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Electro-Tether - not sure who you wanted details from, but it doesn't have anything to do with the total number of apps that have been installed. Rather, it has more to do with the way the nvfs cache gets used by the OS and the apps themselves. If you haven't seen it already, check out this article for a good overview.

    The fundamental problem is that 10MB of nvfs cache is simply not big enough when you have big apps like GL installed. For instance, here is what happens to the amount of free nvfs db cache on my Sprint 650:

    Immediately after reset: 7642KB
    After GL init : 1119KB
    After VersaMail launch : 487KB

    At this point, I can't run Blazer without getting the "There is not enough memory available..." message because the free nvfs cache is too low. The only thing I can do at this point is a soft reset which gets me back to 1119KB free after GL init. From there, it's rinse, lather, repeat after a few hours. Although your specific numbers might be slightly different than mine, you should be able to reproduce my symptoms.

    This happens despite the fact my free ram is still 4.3MB. On the Treo600, free ram was the only limitation. On the Treo650 (with nvfs), we have to contend with both the free ram limit and the (often more constraining) free nvfs cache limit.

    Don't get me wrong, I think the GL functionality and Treo650 are great things. It's the combination that's become a big disappointment.

    Ok can you explain what settings and how you lock GOOD or lock other programs to maximize memory and performance?
    I saw your BMP file but cannot seem to find the same screen on my Treo.

    Thanks
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Why doesn't anyone talk about Seven Inc.'s product? Sprint Business Connect, Cingular Xpress Mail.

    The client for this does not take up lots of RAM. And it is push e-mail to sync with Exchange server... The Corporate Edition must be a competitor for GoolLink?
    Acutally, BCE can't view attachments other than in plain text, is scheduled pull (not push), doesn't support OTA, is less secure, and doesn't sync all aspects of Outlook wirelessly. Now, with that being said, Seven recently announced a new version that will address some of those things, but I haven't seen it yet. The fact that Sprint signed on to resell GoodLink and Sprint reps are replacing BCE their devices with GoodLink is pretty telling.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters
    Ok can you explain what settings and how you lock GOOD or lock other programs to maximize memory and performance?
    I saw your BMP file but cannot seem to find the same screen on my Treo.

    Thanks
    You don't need to lock GoodLink with Resco Locker as GoodLink locks itself automatically. The BMP was the configuration for the dbCacheTool tool which you can download here
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Acutally, BCE can't view attachments other than in plain text, is scheduled pull (not push), doesn't support OTA, is less secure, and doesn't sync all aspects of Outlook wirelessly. Now, with that being said, Seven recently announced a new version that will address some of those things, but I haven't seen it yet. The fact that Sprint signed on to resell GoodLink and Sprint reps are replacing BCE their devices with GoodLink is pretty telling.
    I don't want to hijack the thread on Goodlink's memory load, but Xpress Mail does push e-mail through the use of hidden SMS to the Treo.

    Enough said (from me).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I don't want to hijack the thread on Goodlink's memory load, but Xpress Mail does push e-mail through the use of hidden SMS to the Treo.

    Enough said (from me).
    To be a bit more precise, it's a triggered pull (i.e. the SMS is received by the Treo, and then the Treo logs in and gets the mail when it's next possible to do so). This isn't quite as good as real push because 1) there is some lag between when mail arrives on the originating server and when it's available to the intermediate server, and 2) there can be a delay in receiving the SMS; sometimes SMS messages don't ever arrive, though this is unusual. Nit-picky, perhaps, but it's best to be precise.

    Marc
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I don't want to hijack the thread on Goodlink's memory load, but Xpress Mail does push e-mail through the use of hidden SMS to the Treo.

    Enough said (from me).
    Actually, that is a triggered pull, not push. The SMS activates the device that goes and gets the data.
  10. #30  
    First off: I am not a Goodlink or Chatter user. I do use Xpress Mail.

    Will the true push of Goodlink or IMAP push (is that pulled?) of Chatter work if the Phone (radio) is turned off?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  11. #31  
    aprasad - No, Chatter is real, 100% pure push (if you want to be picky, it's the truest push of them all, since the Treo talks directly to ther receiving server). Does XpressMail work with the radio off then?

    Marc
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    While you are absolutely entitled to your opinion of the product, I think the term "incompetence" is a bit overkill. The fact that Palm decided to only put 32MB of RAM into the 650 and the way they address those memory blocks is a major issue as it relates to running GoodLink on the Treo. The reason for not using the Palm native apps such as calendar and contacts was more along the lines of the GUI as opposed functionality. GoodLink is designed to mirror Outlook (and next year, Notes) as closely as possible.

    As for others that are working on beating GoodLink, obviously that could very well happen. However, in my somewhat biased opinion, the security model, the cross platform support (Palm, PPC, WM and soon Symbian) will hinder development of the "GoodLink Killer". Could someone come up with a solution for the Treo that is as good, if not better, than GoodLink? Sure they could. I would be foolish to think otherwise. But can they develop a solution that provides end-to-end security, full real time sync of all data and have it run on mutliple OS'? Possibly, but not anytime soon. Microsoft hasn't, RIMM hasn't, nobody has, not even Good...not yet anyway

    As it relates to battery life, that is also a function of the power management capabilities of the device and the OS. We are working with hardware manufacturers and the OS folks to help improve this. The work-offline changes in 4.5 create a work around for the polling feature you are looking for. However, bear in mind that GoodLink was, and is, designed for real-time, push email. There are other scheduled-pull solutions out there that might meet your needs.

    Thanks for your feedback and I have forwarded your concerns and comments, along with others as it relates to the memory issues, to our Product Management team.
    Hell, not only mirrored Outlook but GoodLink is getting real close to mirroring the Microsoft's Blue Screen of Death... I think that is planned for the next release...
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    aprasad - No, Chatter is real, 100% pure push (if you want to be picky, it's the truest push of them all, since the Treo talks directly to ther receiving server). Does XpressMail work with the radio off then?

    Marc
    No it doesn't. I will work when disconnected from the GPRS network, though. The incoming SMS makes the Treo initiate network connection to pull the e-mail from my desktop at work (I'm using the Personal Edition of Xpress Mail).

    Most of the time my Treo gets the e-mail 10-15 seconds before my Outlook on the desktop gets the e-mail in it's inbox.

    My problem is that I have to come up with some solution for myself at the desktop level, and at my cost. The IT folks will not entertain my suggestion for anything running extra on the Exchange server just to give me push mail...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  14. #34  
    I have about 5 mb left after installing and setting up goodlink. From what people have said here..I seem to be lucky!
  15. santas's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    I'm going to try this out. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
    The good news: I got throught 24hrs without having to soft reset (or having the Treo do the reset for me)

    The bad news: Although I can run all the apps I'd like to, I'm still limited by available cache. If I run AreoPlayer in the background it works fine with GoodLink (because it's already in cache). I can't however use it to listen to music in the background while using other apps (VersaMail, Blazer, Bonsai). I get the "not enough memory" message.

    We still need a fix for this. Although I'm willing to play with this stuff to see if I can get a solution I can live with, I can't see the executives of my company playing this game.
  16. #36  
    Chatter is not true push, but it's darn close. It uses the idle function of modern IMAP servers to keep the connection open constantly, thus technically it's battery life is just as bad as with Goodlink. Don't get my original post wrong GoodGuy, I love your products idea as I stated. I really would like to use it, but for a user who wants to use the Treo for other things it's just not a acceptable solution.

    Can I ask you have you all tried to release a "light" version that implements your sync functionality with the built in applications? This would be a tremendous boost in your usage of the memory available, and I believe would sell the product to the "power" users here. Attachments can still be opened by saving them as using Docs 2 go. The only compromise would be the look and feel as you said. But giving up a nice GUI for usability is a tradeoff I would make. Palm implemented thoose applications already, there is no reason to re-invent the wheel...

    Thanks for listening, and please don't take my original message the wrong way.
    Last edited by shadowmite; 08/24/2005 at 10:35 AM.
  17. santas's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters
    I have about 5 mb left after installing and setting up goodlink. From what people have said here..I seem to be lucky!
    Not to be a doomsayer, but what you're probably looking at is available memory, not available cache. I've got 5mb free in memory too. The problem is that I've got less than 2mb free in cache.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Chatter is not true push, but it's darn close. It uses the idle function of modern IMAP servers to keep the connection open constantly, thus technically it's battery life is just as bad as with Goodlink. Don't get my original post wrong GoodGuy, I love your products idea as I stated. I really would like to use it, but for a user who wants to use the Treo for other things it's just not a acceptable solution.

    Can I ask you have you all tried to release a "light" version that implements your sync functionality with the built in applications? This would be a tremendous boost in your usage of the memory available, and I believe would sell the product to the "power" users here.

    Thanks for listening, and please don't take my original message the wrong way.
    No worries, I didn't take your post the wrong way. I highly respect what you have provided to the Treo community and your opinions are very valuable. I see your point regarding a "light" version and the effect it would have on users here. However, GoodLink has been designed as enterprise solution and has not been targetted at the consumer/prosumer market. Now, before my clothes burn off in the flames that that last statement makes, I can also understand how may would think that we are not targetting the SMB space either. The typical enterprise user is not a power user. Are there some users that are power users within our enterprise customer base? Absolutely, however, as an enterprise tool, the acceptance of GoodLink has been stellar to say the least, warts and all. That being said, the memory issue is being looked into and we are trying to find a solution that will maintain the integrity of the product. Unfortunately, I have no idea as to how/when or what that solution, if there is one, will be.
  19. santas's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    No worries, I didn't take your post the wrong way. I highly respect what you have provided to the Treo community and your opinions are very valuable. I see your point regarding a "light" version and the effect it would have on users here. However, GoodLink has been designed as enterprise solution and has not been targetted at the consumer/prosumer market. Now, before my clothes burn off in the flames that that last statement makes, I can also understand how may would think that we are not targetting the SMB space either. The typical enterprise user is not a power user. Are there some users that are power users within our enterprise customer base? Absolutely, however, as an enterprise tool, the acceptance of GoodLink has been stellar to say the least, warts and all. That being said, the memory issue is being looked into and we are trying to find a solution that will maintain the integrity of the product. Unfortunately, I have no idea as to how/when or what that solution, if there is one, will be.
    Just be careful...

    The reason my company is using goodlink instead of blackberry is because of a couple of power users like me. If we hadn't pushed back, we'd be a blackberry shop right now. If you turn off the power users, you might not be as successsful with further acceptance.

    I've got no problem with it being an enterprise solution. I don't care if you don't use the native apps. But it is a big deal that you can't easily use the Treo for other stuff as well as Goodlink.
  20. #40  
    Here are my 5 cents, for what they're worth (about a nickel, I reckon).

    Goodlink's a hit in the enterprise. Most executives running down the street to their next meeting with Treo keyboard buttons etched on their cheeks wouldn't even own a Treo if it weren't for GoodLink. As an IT Manager, I know my users wouldn't. They'd either have a Blackberry, or simply the sexiest and tinyest cameraphone they can get. GoodLink turns a bulky (though sexy) geekphone/PDA into a fantastic lifechanger for the busy executive. My company's people love it. If I get a big fat bonus in 4 months or so It'll be because of Good (and It'll feel Good too . .

    I am also a geek, and geeks are going to be running into memory/space problems no matter what they use. Check out your hard disk space and tell me you actually use everything you've installed on it. Or bring up your list of running processes and tell me with a straight face your 8 Konfabulator widgets or whatnot are essential. So Geeks shouldn't fear creating custom ROMs, using dbCache and using ZLauncher or similar to put what can run off a card on a card - if anything it's fun and rewarding to try to squeeze an extra meg out of the device by fine tuning it every few weeks.

    If that sort of behavior were being asked of regular users we'd have a problem, but how many of them really need to ever exit onto the Palm Desktop? If so it may be to access DA, FlightStatus, Blazer and their VersaMail POP account, and those coexist with GoodLink without hacking.

    The limitations are all Palm's fault, in rolling out the 650 as the Next Coming of Jesus when it wasn't, and was arguably a step back memorywise. Good is a killer app for the platform that was around well before the 650, and Palm should have charged us all an extra $20 bucks and built a device with better memory handling and bigger memory.

    If Goodlink sucked, I wouldn't be saying this. But at least from when I was researching options and looking at demos a year ago, it is by far the best and especially the easiest to administer (even for a lazy bum such as I) enterprise email/calendar/contacts app. And the replacement UI is part and parcel of this: 15-20 minutes training, and about 2 questions a month from users on how to get something done in GoodLink. That's astounding, and it's due to its intuitive similarity to Outlook.

    As an aside, I am skeptical that anything running a few APIs to hook to VersaMail would be stable. Maybe Snapper could be used as the base, but Versamail is an unstable nightmare. That said, I'm not a programmer, and that's for another thread anyway.

    So I have my complaints about GoodLink (memory issues, can't se others' calendars, the attachments issue, PDFs, lack of foreign character <Japanese> support even though the OS can support it), but I think they've done a great job on a limited platform, I know they're working on a lot of these issues, and I know I'd be crucified if I even thought of taking Treo/Good away form my people. At the same time, I've managed to make my treo into an essential sys admin powertool (movian vpn, Mobile TS, Palm VNC, verichat, splashID, xiino, TCPMP and pocketTunes, PalmaSutra etc. ). It's also (finally) quite stable. I mostly owe this to Shadowmite (who I worship as a saint for what he's contributed to Treo users everywhere) and a little perseverance.

    So, thank GOODness for Good (though I'm getting tired of the "Good" puns).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions