Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I realize that I have a ton of questions and I appreciate your patience with me. I am trying out a number of these applications but having been a Palm user for just 1 week I dont really feel qualified to pick out the best apps on my own because I just dont have the BIG picture in my grasp yet.

Anyway, I have been searching Handango for all these apps etc and reading up on them etc. I am trying to find the best apps for what I want to do and only purchase what I need.

I have read alot of good things about Ringo here and see it is listed in quite a few peoples MUST HAVE apps lists. I just saw MP3Ringer 1.6 today at Handango and its almost half the price and seems to do much of the same things.

My biggest feature for an MP3 ring software is that 1, i obviously want to be able to use mp3's for ringtones. 2, I want to be able to specify certian mp3's for certian people in my contacts and certian events (voicemail, sms, etc). Having the ability to create groups for contacts and that group having a specific mp3 ringer would be ok, but i dont know that I would use it much.

Does anyone have experience with both of these applications that could shed some additional light on this matter for me?

Thanks.
    I use mp3ringer, and it works well for me. I haven't tried Ringo mostly because mp3ringer was cheap and does what I need it too. It allows you to assign different mp3's for all of the events you specify. You should note that it requires that you already have a separate mp3 player like pocket tunes or aeroplayer. I'm not sure if ringo has its own player built in or not. You should consider that if cost is a factor. Also, it works better if you move the mp3s into ram that you want to use and not play them off the SD card. This way if you card is ejected for some reason you won't miss a call.
  3.    #3  
    Hmmm... thats something I had not considered. Do you know if Ringo is the same way about having the mp3's for ringtones in RAM instead of the SD? I have a dedicated SD card for my phone which will always be available which is 1GB (until I grab the 2gb from Newegg). And with 18mb free on my treo atm, I would rather dump all the mp3's etc out to the card...
  4.    #4  
    Actually, after reading a bit more looks like Ringo requires mp3 to be stored on SD
    mp3Ringer can have them either place I think.. but it just recommends keeping the ones you want to use in RAM. I swap out cards a lot with different movies and stuff.. so I just used an editor to shrink the parts of a few mp3's that I like and keep those in RAM. I cut the down to like 20 seconds or so (they repeat if I don't answer in time) so they aren't too big to store in RAM.
    Lightwav!!!
  7.    #7  
    Granted I am still extremely new, but Lightwav seems to be much less popular then Ringo or Phone Tech. Phone Tech wont work for me because I want to be able to have specific tones for specific people.

To clarify about Lightwav.. in the features it lists Assign individual/group sound files to Contact and Favorite list

Does this mean that you can assign specific ringers to individuals in your contacts? Or that you can only assign a specific ringer which encompases ALL your contacts.

It looks like its the former, but i've been screwed by "creative" software descriptions before, and with as many new software titles as I am trying to weed through, I would rather not even bother with the trial if it doesnt do what i want in the first place.

There are just toooo many choices for all these things. Jeeze
    Just try it, homie! Always free to try.

P.S. - Lightwav!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrax
    Granted I am still extremely new, but Lightwav seems to be much less popular then Ringo or Phone Tech. Phone Tech wont work for me because I want to be able to have specific tones for specific people.

To clarify about Lightwav.. in the features it lists Assign individual/group sound files to Contact and Favorite list

Does this mean that you can assign specific ringers to individuals in your contacts? Or that you can only assign a specific ringer which encompases ALL your contacts.

It looks like its the former, but i've been screwed by "creative" software descriptions before, and with as many new software titles as I am trying to weed through, I would rather not even bother with the trial if it doesnt do what i want in the first place.

There are just toooo many choices for all these things. Jeeze
    "but Lightwav seems to be much less popular then Ringo or Phone Tech." really? both apps doesnt even have half of the features of lighwav combined.
    Phone Tech. doesnt even do group or individual ringtones. it is the simples app.

just try them out before you decide on buying.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley88
    both apps doesnt even have half of the features of lighwav combined.
    There is something that Ringo does that Lightwav doesn't though...it works. Every time. It doesn't reset my phone on an incoming call like Lightwav does.

I don't care how many more features Lightwav has when it can't do the one thing right I want it to, ring with a ringtone and actually allow me to answer the call, not get it off voicemail.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    There is something that Ringo does that Lightwav doesn't though...it works. Every time. It doesn't reset my phone on an incoming call like Lightwav does.

I don't care how many more features Lightwav has when it can't do the one thing right I want it to, ring with a ringtone and actually allow me to answer the call, not get it off voicemail.
    You prolly had a different version than I have...'cause LightWav is flawless for me...it has more features...AND it's cheaper than Ringo. It's all about the value...and LightWav has it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x

Here Here!!
  13.    #13  
    Well, I cant decide if Ringo was part of the cause of my problems, but SOMETHING funky got installed today which caused my phone to crap out left and right with a ton of resets and reboots for no apparent reason. After a bunch of resets and removing most of the software I have been re-installing.

I am trying lightwav now and so far so good, after I finally got the damn thing to play a ringtone. Part of the problem I think was that it got installed before PTunes in the re-install process which looks to have made it unhappy. However after removing it, installing ptunes and then lightwav it seems to be happier.

What do you guys use to edit your mp3's to get them down to about 20-30 seconds though??
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrax
    What do you guys use to edit your mp3's to get them down to about 20-30 seconds though??
    There could be a simpler solution...but for Windows, I use CDex to convert it to wav, then use the standard Sound Recorder app in Accessories/Entertainment to chop it up, then use CDex to convert it back to MP3.

I'm sure there's got to be an easier solution, though...but that one works.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    You prolly had a different version than I have...'cause LightWav is flawless for me...it has more features...AND it's cheaper than Ringo. It's all about the value...and LightWav has it all.
    Lightwav can be cheaper...and it can have more features...but if it resets my phone every time a call comes in, it's not exactly doing it's job, is it? Value isn't about how much something costs, it's about how much it means to you.

And not resetting my phone means more to me than $10.
    I'm back!
    Pretty much have to agree with jmill72x. I tried installing Ringo Pro again a couple of days ago and haven't had a reset yet. Lightwav has some very cool features, but it's really not worth the reboot cost, and the customer support has been sorely lacking.
    I think you guys have got to be doing something wrong.
    well, considering Toysoft can't tell me what to do to make their program even remotely stable, I doubt I am doing something wrong. Latest version of ptunes, latest version of lightwav, latest version of the SPSC updater. Funny how ringo pro has been running fine for the past three days now and I have yet to see a reboot.
    I used LightWav on my Treo 600 for around a year no problems, moved to my 650 nothing but unexpected resets. I doubt I was doing anything wrong as I setup everything the same. I don't have anything against LightWav it was great when it worked. But it has issues on the 650.

YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I think you guys have got to be doing something wrong.
    Yeah, you're probably right. It can be difficult to master the concept of installing .prc files to the Treo.

I'm not the one who wrote the program, so I've got a pretty good idea of who's doing something wrong.
    I'm back!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast