1. afr
    Update on on a 2002 thread from the Treo 300 forum re: Sprint billing...

My wife and I share a Sprint plan. We pay extra so we can roam where we like when we travel. We have a lot of minutes on our plan. We both have pda phones (mine is a Treo 600, hers the Samsung i-500) so we also pay for unlimited Vision services.

Lately, we have moved to a rent house in the Texas Hill Country while building our permanent house. After we moved, we started getting very high bills (the last one was $300+ higher than our plan's monthly cost) showing "roaming web browsing". These roaming charges are billed in one minute increments, sometimes (a lot of times) in the middle of the night when no one is up or using the phone. Sprint has credited me several hundreds of dollars for the past two months, but each time I talk to them it is a several hours ordeal to convince them 1. I'm not using the phone as a modem, or 2. that neither phone can browse the web while roaming. BTW, we use our phones mainly in Sprint digital network coverage areas, and spend probably less than 20% of all minutes roaming.

One technician told me that it appears that we are browsing the web from "the other side of the world" (his words). All of the roaming charges are linked to phone number 000-000-0777 that Sprint places in Kerrville, Texas.

Is anyone else having such problems with "mystery" calls from their pda phones on Sprint?
    Not so far, but thanks for the heads up . . . . .

I assume the number they say is linked to the roaming charges is not yours? If so, it seems that Sprint should pursue that angle.

I know this would be a pain, but if it continues, I would demand new cell phone numbers. Seems like your number has been hijacked for fraudulent use.

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Wow, Sprint is crazy!

I received a letter a few day ago telling me that I am using to much data and that they suspected me of using my phone as a modem...(like they accused you). Anyways I called sprints retention line (direct to people who know what the hell is going on) and they said they cannot charge me for things that are not on my plan. So I feel your pain, also your pain for having be on the phone with customer service for hours. So here are some numbers to help you feel free to call them I have received great results from calling these:

Retention - Negotiate a better plan / price to stay with Sprint PCS
    866-207-7913

Customer Service - Straight to Rep. No automated operator.
    800-658-7564
    877-822-7505

Executive Services - For when things get really messed up
    866-519-5698
    888-347-8988
    817-215-3070
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
  4. afr
    Thanks for the numbers. The last technical person I talked to suggested I call their anti-fraud number. I did. They opened a "case" and said they would be back to me in 48 hours. We'll see.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Good Luck! I used these numbers again yesterday when Treo went wacky and the overnighted a new phone to me, so I know it works. Keep us updated!
    BTW,

I used Sprint for the last 1.5 years and Verizon before that. Now I am on Cingular. With Cingular it is much worse. My first bill was $900 (they credited most of it back because I was on the right plan and NOT ROAMING).

My second bill was for $256 and included the credit. I don't have the time to keep calling them. And since you can't roam on Cingular, there's no excuse.

Work it out with Sprint -- Cingular is much worse. And don't even get me started about network problems and dropped calls!!!!!!

Glenn
  7. afr
    Sprint finally got back to me with an explanation of what was happening...sort of. I still am not entirely clear how it works...but they took the excess charges off.

They told me that in the area I am temporarily renting a house, the roaming carrier is Alltel. Evidently, at certain times during my commuting back and forth through their territory my phone gloms on to their tower and appears to be web browsing to them. They back bill to Sprint, where the billing items show up as web browsing while roaming. I got into several (almost) shouting matches with the Sprint reps telling them that the Treo and my wife's Samsung i500 got error messages when we tried to browse outside of the Sprint digital service area. For the longest time they would say, "But nevertheless..." Finally, one rep told me that some of the phones were actually capable of browsing while roaming. I asked if mine was (knowing it isn't). She finally said, "Probably not" and we went from there.

The last rep transferred me to some department I had never spoken to (Problem resolution?) where they actually CALLED ME BACK!!! and had evidently solved the problem -- at least to the point where they credited all of the excesss charges.

So the $580 bill has been erased (until next month?)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Wow!

Maybe from here on out asked to be transfered to problem resolution department.

Good Luck
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
  9. afr
    I forgot to add that the technical person who solved the problem says that the key sequence that Alltel was responding to was #77. I have no idea what #77 does. The number on the Sprint bill that I was reportedly connecting to was 000-000-0777, which apparently translates (to or from) #77.