Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    It looks to me as if the 650 produces much better pictures with only a slightly larger size.

Pssstt -- Why is it that the 1.2MP phone produces a smaller file size?? Shouldn't it be 4 times larger than the 650's size?
    The 1.2MP camera would take photos at 1280X960 pixels but the quality was not any better than the 640X480 that I posted. I don't have any of the larger photos or I would post one. I always left the phone in the 640X480 mode because I couldn't see the need for having a large bad photo
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halffast
    The 1.2MP camera would take photos at 1280X960 pixels but the quality was not any better than the 640X480 that I posted. I don't have any of the larger photos or I would post one. I always left the phone in the 640X480 mode because I couldn't see the need for having a large bad photo
    I agree to that to some extent. All camera phones (even 1.3MP) that have CMOS sensor will take about the same "quality" photos. But when you are printing a 4x6 or something, it's better to have a higher megapixel for a sharper print. Now, the 2 MP Samsung a800 that Sprint has, takes great pictures (had one for about a week). This is because it has a CCD lense/sensor that is that of what a real digital camera would have. I've included two pictures below. One (Berry) from the 2 MP Samsung a800, and the other (Glasses) from the 1.3 MP LG 535. As you can see, there is no comparison between the two. The Berry shot was taken in "macro" mode.

By the way, the reason the a800 was returned is because it is $500; more than I paid for my Treo. And after the wow factor wore off, we came to realize our $150 4 MP Fuji digital camera took even better pictures- and that's really all the Samsung had going for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    You wanzie panzies is that all you can say to a dare like "what are needed improvements to the 650?"...mgauss took my lolly pop away?

Does the 650 need improvements? Oh yeahhh. Then what are they? Stop whining. Soon Samsung or Microsoft will get in this game and give us a little competition.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    You wanzie panzies is that all you can say to a dare like "what are needed improvements to the 650?"...mgauss took my lolly pop away?

Does the 650 need improvements? Oh yeahhh. Then what are they? Stop whining. Soon Samsung or Microsoft will get in this game and give us a little competition.
    Huh????
    Mgauss I don't understand why you need a 1.2 megapixel or better image on a "PHONE" to begin with. Sending a larger image would take too long over the Cellular network. MMS Messages are suppose to be short, no receipient wants to wait for a 1.2 megapixel image to load and then not be able enjoy the benifits of that wait. That's what the Treo camera is intended to do, and it does it well.

If I wanted a camera with phone I would have bought one. Sounds to me like you need to go find a "CAMERA" with phone somewhere... try Microsoft or Samsung.

As for me, Hell yea the Treo is not perfect. So what.. no device is, but it does everything I want it to do good enough for me. And if I want to take a Good Photo.. OMG I might have to pick up a 3.2 megapixel or even worse.. get my FILM camera out.

We need to have a "I bought a Treo and Hate it" forum were people that do not make informed purchases can go and whine about how much you hate this and that.
    Palm V -> Pocket PC -> Treo 650 GSM
    ----------------- ^
    Slipped to the "Dark Side" for a while, But I'm back
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    We need to have a "I bought a Treo and Hate it" forum were people that do not make informed purchases can go and whine about how much you hate this and that.
    Here here. ChrisJ is right. It's past time to start a permanent "I Hate My Treo" forum to relegate all whiners to. Yes, we all know it's far from perfect; and yes, it is good to spotlight problems for imtprovement or repair; and yes, it's fine to beat up ont eh carriers (especially Cingular - where is my PATCH). Maybe the collective wisdom (?) on this site could help fix all these problems. But this constant whining that "It just doesn't do what I want/need." is grating on the nerves. If it doesn't, get something else that does (ha ha - there is no such thing).

Whiners be gone!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Feedth not the troll...
    Mgauss I don't understand why you need a 1.2 megapixel or better image on a "PHONE" to begin with. Sending a larger image would take too long over the Cellular network.
    I don't send a lot of pictures via MMS or email...I usually pull them off when I hotsync. Regardless, if and when EVDO rolls out with a treo, sending larger files shouldnt be a problem.

MMS Messages are suppose to be short, no receipient wants to wait for a 1.2 megapixel image to load and then not be able enjoy the benifits of that wait. That's what the Treo camera is intended to do, and it does it well.
    The treo takes decent pictures but there is nothing wrong in wanting more out of what we have. If we took the philosophy of being happy with what we have, we wouldnt have programs like pickem, profiles, shadowmites custom roms, etc...(the list goes on forever).

If I wanted a camera with phone I would have bought one. Sounds to me like you need to go find a "CAMERA" with phone somewhere... try Microsoft or Samsung.
    That is your opinion and your entitled to it. For others who want more, there is nothing wrong with 'wanting'

As for me, Hell yea the Treo is not perfect. So what.. no device is, but it does everything I want it to do good enough for me. And if I want to take a Good Photo.. OMG I might have to pick up a 3.2 megapixel or even worse.. get my FILM camera out.
    Thats fine. The problem I have is when I want to take the unique photo (you know...the one you never planned on taking), I never have my 3mp camera with me.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

First cries about the Treo, then cries that he's called out about it.

This is priceless .

http://www.beavton.k12.or.us/jacob_w...ms/kettle1.jpg
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Tehehe...Insertion's funny!
    I think overall it is a pretty solid phone. I would not consider myself a power user who is pushing the thing to the point where smoke somes out of the expansion port; but I use it every day for e-mail, Internet, calendar....etc. I have the occasional reset but I think that has to do with Activesync. Until I enabled that I had no reset issues at all. However, the benefit of syncing my corp. e-mail and calendar out weight the rare distraction of a reset. I am hoping that Cingular's update to Versamail resolves some of the Activesync quirks.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    For the most part it's a solid phone. A camera is an bonus from the way I see it as it is a pda/phone first. Camera can be a minus since many companies don't allow access (and gyms now in NYC.) My biggest gripe, and it is a big one, is the meager 32MB RAM which is inane and insane. The other stupidity I can live with. Not having WiFi really hurts if you are on Verizon Wirele$$ because then basic Internet acce$$ will cost you more than many people's monthly phone bills. Disabling it is also a major gripe with me now that the WiFi cat has been let out of the bag.

Medium gripe: horrible web browsing.

Minor gripes but still infuriating at times: reset button in back underneath battery cover, defaults that have been stupidly rewired so that items like phone log take several clicks, shortcuts no longer one press...
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I don't send a lot of pictures via MMS or email...I usually pull them off when I hotsync. Regardless, if and when EVDO rolls out with a treo, sending larger files shouldnt be a problem.

I understand with a faster network things will not be as painful but ATM we don't have that option. Also most MMS (not Email) messages are sent to people that do not have a Treo, so sending them a 1.2 or better image is a waste. Not to mention data charges if you are not one of the lucky Unliminated Data Plan guys.

The treo takes decent pictures but there is nothing wrong in wanting more out of what we have. If we took the philosophy of being happy with what we have, we wouldnt have programs like pickem, profiles, shadowmites custom roms, etc...(the list goes on forever).

That is your opinion and your entitled to it. For others who want more, there is nothing wrong with 'wanting'

Thats fine. The problem I have is when I want to take the unique photo (you know...the one you never planned on taking), I never have my 3mp camera with me.
    T2 I never said I didn't want more out of my Treo.. but I don't believe this is the forum to complain about it.

1. MORE Memory
    2. Better Volume
    3. BlueTooth 1.2

The list goes on.. but if people are unhappy with the device then maybe they need to have an alternative "Vent Hall" so to speak so the rest of us who come here for answers to "how do I.." don't need to filter out what we don't want to listen. Send it to Palm's CEO and R&D Department and let them feel your frustration.

I guess I keep seeing more and more people buy Treo's and expect them to please EVERYONE and be Perfect... They are not. But I purchased one with the understanding that the device had faults and accecpted that when I bought it.
    Palm V -> Pocket PC -> Treo 650 GSM
    ----------------- ^
    Slipped to the "Dark Side" for a while, But I'm back
    T2 I never said I didn't want more out of my Treo...
    My appologies. When you said:
    As for me, Hell yea the Treo is not perfect. So what.. no device is, but it does everything I want it to do good enough for me.
    I interpreted that to be you were happy with what it did and that it was good enough (hence it didnt need to do more.) I see from your suggestions that you do want more (I also want to see them all in the next upgrade.)
    .. but I don't believe this is the forum to complain about it.
    Which forum should they go with complaints? (unless you mean that they should go to a different thread other than the 650 hardware thread? It does seem hardware related.)
    The list goes on.. but if people are unhappy with the device then maybe they need to have an alternative "Vent Hall" so to speak so the rest of us who come here for answers to "how do I.." don't need to filter out what we don't want to listen. Send it to Palm's CEO and R&D Department and let them feel your frustration.
    Well when I saw the thread...the title made it pretty obvious that it was going to be a rant on the 650...its not like there was some kind of bait and switch going on.
    I guess I keep seeing more and more people buy Treo's and expect them to please EVERYONE and be Perfect... They are not. But I purchased one with the understanding that the device had faults and accecpted that when I bought it.
    That is probably the best approach that anyone can have when upgrading.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

the treo sure needs improvements. and it's frustrating that we are under the mercy of palm because there is nothing similar to the treo.

palmsource got it right once, but then they could never improve. somebody please tell me why doesn't the palmos have better support for installing apps on removable memory? why do we need so many third party apps for better functionality? and if it was palm's intention to minimize the built-in functionalities for some reason, why isn't there a user friendly tool to remove built-in apps like versamail or realplayer to utilize more memory? the answer is: because palmsource are lazy.

i own a treo because it's the best out there, but it isnít perfect, so we criticize all it's flaws. the treo needs to be critcized to improve. so let everybody criticize all they want, and either support or get out of the way.
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
    Doesn't the Moto Franklin Razzberry or 'Q' already beat the Treo 650?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=88709
    or for mobile users:
    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=88709
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 07/25/2005 at 09:18 PM. Reason: KR deleted original thread
  18. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halffast
    Cool avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Doesn't the Moto Franklin Razzberry or 'Q' already beat the Treo 650?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=88709
    or for mobile users:
    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=88709
    IHMO...if its going to 'beat' the treo, its gotta have the same form factor. Otherwise, I think there are other mobile devices that beat the treo (by beat I mean do things better)...i.e. PPC 6600

I don't know why people get so upset that there's a camera in their cell phone. I personally like taking pictures. And it's nice to have the option to capture a moment. Pretty soon phones will have camera attachments that don't protrude. So you can attach and disattach as you like. And always have it with you or not. I would love to always have my 7 megapixel camera with me at all times. So why don't I carry it? I try to but sometimes I forget or it's just too much to carry. IPOD, CELL PHONE, CAMERA...

You can't stop advancement.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast