Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    When I bought my last phone a camera was something I didn't even want but to get the features I wanted such as blue tooth and desktop connectivity a camera is just an added extra.

My last phone had a 1.2 megapixel camera and a flash but unless you were outside in perfect lighting conditions the pictures were terrible!

I have an 8 megpixel digital camera that I use to take pictures with, I paid 3 times as much for it as I did for my 650 but I don't complain that I can't make a phone call with it.

The 650 camera is great for taking a quick picture to email someone but it was never intended to be a high end digital camera.

grndslm,
    I have attached a couple of photos, one taken with the 1.2 megapixel phone and the other with the 650...
    I'll let you guys be the judge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by halffast
    I have an 8 megpixel digital camera that I use to take pictures with, I paid 3 times as much for it as I did for my 650 but I don't complain that I can't make a phone call with it.

The 650 camera is great for taking a quick picture to email someone but it was never intended to be a high end digital camera.
    Exactly!

When I go on vacation I take the 10X Zoom Digital Camera. I don't expect my Treo to be my "best" camera.

I'm surprised anyone making complaints about the camera does not also complain that there are camcorders that do video recording better .
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Yea and the chair I'm sitting in could use some improvements too .

My word, with the progress in cameras if chair makers were on par we would not even need chairs . We would float like Yoda!
    Cannot resist plugging my product here the Levitator (float like Yoda):

www.amazinglevitator.com
    ^ PUKE!!!

First complaints that are petty at best and now a shameless plug!

OK, now this lame thread just got worse!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    OK let's change the thread:

what are the needed improvements to the 650 as it becomes the 700?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    OK let's change the thread:

what are the needed improvements to the 650 as it becomes the 700?
    Get rid all the "fancy" stuff and just make it a phone that actually you can use to make phone calls.
    I love my 650, I actually consider it a "hobby" of mine when I add software then try and "hunt down" the incompatible programs, but I will say this...

After MONTHS of tweeking this thing, whoever said it first was right- most crashes are caused by 3rd party software. It took RINGO 6 months to get their program right too, but no one complains about that!

My 2 biggest complaints about the phone are the design/placement of the mic and call volume. I have DLed VOLUMECARE to fix the backspeaker, so that problem was solved, but it doesn't totally "fix " the mic because no matter what you do, it picks up too much background noise. If I am in my car I have to roll up all windows, turn down A/C, shut off radio and STILL hope road noise isn't too loud. And everyone STILL complains.

(But then I usually buy a program that amazes me like TomTom and forget all my complaints)

Palm hasn't even perfected this phone's OS and you guys are already demanding the 700...Imagine the problems that phone is gonna have!
    I have few expectations of much from the camera in the Treos. In fact, I had the 600 for about 9 months before I shot more than 25 pictures with it - the limitations to "only in bright light" combined with the low-res screen just made it a bummer experience.

On my 5th replacement, I was blessed to receive one of the "improved camera" models that actually could take a picture indoors. It was then I found a few uses for the picturetaking mode, and even though I couldn't see much on the 160x160 resolution, it was a neat add-on.

The 650 camera is slightly better, with the additional feature of basic video support shipped with the camera. The ability to actually SEE what's on the pictures is a nice feature the 320x320 furnishes.

As for 5.2 megapixels cameras on a smartphone, I HOPE that Palm is focusing on fixing some of the more crucial problems with this device on the next model. But after spending $30+ million to buy 3 less letters in their name, their second priority may well be to make the Treo compete with some of the better consumer-level cameras. The company has made so many whack decisions lately that I wouldn't rule out a Pez dispenser in the next model. Really.

My only gripe about the camera is that it keeps defaulting back to saving to RAM, of which they should know by now we have next to none already. If there's an option to continue saving pictures to card by DEFAULT, I haven't found it yet.

The Zen of Palm is long dead, but at least Splashphoto has a groovy feature to "move all to card," (something Palm implemented with the "copy to card" and then "delete" process which has to be done for every individual file...). Just one more indication that the users are the beta testers for Palm, because nobody who actually used the camera with 1MB of free RAM would be saving all their photos and video to RAM...
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Well, I've not been around here for a while, but I return to see mgauss still causing trouble and making exactly the same sort of comments about the 650 as he made about the 600.

If you didn't like the 600, why were you so stupid as to buy a 650?

If there is to be a serious debate about improvements to be incorporated in the next generation Palm phone, lets do it without putting inflammatory words like 'pathetic' in the threads title!
    Oh OK the 650 does not crash all the time. Its solid as a rock. Then why is it that I have to take Valium every time I try a new program? And why is it that people can't hear me?

Come on! Is anybody gonna support me here?
    Have you tried
    - updating to the newest firmware? (no more crashes - increased memory)
    - getting Volumecare? (halleluja, BIG sound at last)
    - getting Chatteremail? (BB eat your heart out)

These three and the nifty (but not perfect) cam make the Treo a gem. I love it I love it I love it and smother it with kisses everyday.
    - Wouter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    The Zen of Palm is long dead, but at least Splashphoto has a groovy feature to "move all to card," (something Palm implemented with the "copy to card" and then "delete" process which has to be done for every individual file...). Just one more indication that the users are the beta testers for Palm, because nobody who actually used the camera with 1MB of free RAM would be saving all their photos and video to RAM...
    Here's a tip when using the Palm media app. Press the space bar. This will get you out of the window, if you know what I mean (i.e. no pic will be selected). THEN choose the copy command. You will then be offered to select which pics to copy - you can also select ALL. Same procedure for DELETE. So you don't have to do this for every individual file (altho, yes, the move all feature is nicer) (and Splashfoto is FASTER!).
    - Wouter
    grndslm,
    I have attached a couple of photos, one taken with the 1.2 megapixel phone and the other with the 650...
    It looks to me as if the 650 produces much better pictures with only a slightly larger size.

Pssstt -- Why is it that the 1.2MP phone produces a smaller file size?? Shouldn't it be 4 times larger than the 650's size?
    How many whiners do we need saying the Treo 650 sucks and their number one issue is the*camera*. ARGH! WHO CARES!? Wait, the idiots who start these threads do I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    There are so many issues with this latest of rants I am having trouble deciding where I will begin....
    WHAT HE SAID!

I think mgauss has just gotten bored again - so time for him to fan the flames...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I follow the progress of cameras. Samsung now has a phone with a 5.2 meg camera with a extendible lens system. Sprint has 1.3 and 2.0 meg camera phones. And we are still here panting over a phone with .3 megs?

Let's see...the 650 crashes all the time...the camera is 10 times less competent than what else is out there...its reception is poor, its microphone horrible, its speaker cheap, (good screen!).

For crying outloud...why is it that in the world of cameras progress is measured in months but in the world of phones it is measured in every two year increments?
    [ignore] mgauss [/ignore]
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    No. I like my 650 and use it every day. But there are many things that could improve, and the speed and effectiveness of improvement is slloowwwww.

Conference call, audio quality, crashes, memory, built in programs, camera, there are so many improvements needed and instead of demanding them you guys are just defending the 650. My Treo 300 never booted. My Treo 600 never booted. This one does it regularly.
    judging by the 1.12 upgrade, I think Palm/Sprint have listened, intently, to our requests

granted - I wish it came with 1.12 - but overall, I'm a happy camper
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    When I bought my last phone a camera was something I didn't even want but to get the features I wanted such as blue tooth and desktop connectivity a camera is just an added extra.

My last phone had a 1.2 megapixel camera and a flash but unless you were outside in perfect lighting conditions the pictures were terrible!

grndslm,
    thanks for the comparison!

I have a new appreciation for my TREO camera

btw - nice cowboy boots!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    I know this is hard to understand, but the number of pixels has little to do with image quality. The number of pixels determines how big an enlargement of the image you can make before pixelization sets in. (Pixelization is when individual pixels start to become visible). That's ALL it does.

And there's a trade-off. Given the same size image sensor (the little chip with all the CCDs on it that actually capture the image), more pixels can easily mean poorer quality. The more pixels you cram into the same space, the smaller each CCD becomes. And the smaller the CCDs are, the worse the signal to noise ratio gets. So a 1.2 MP sensor the same size as a the Treo's .3 MP sensor will almost certainly have more noise in the image, and a lower dynamic range (which translates into lower contrast, 'muddier' images, just like the one halffast posted).

As halffast demonstrated, a high(er) res image can be awful at any magnification, while a low res image can be quite good, as long as you don't blow it up too much.

My 4 MP digicam produces better images than a lot of 6 and 8 MP cameras for just this reason. My 8 MP DSLR, with a much, much larger sensor, produces far better images.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    well, if your 300 and 600 never booted, they would not have any problems right?

If they just sat there with the power off... can't crash, now can it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    Well, I've not been around here for a while, but I return to see mgauss still causing trouble and making exactly the same sort of comments about the 650 as he made about the 600.
    You noticed too. Glad I'm not the only one...

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    mgauss has just gotten bored again - so time for him to fan the flames...
    Yea he seems to have these spurts now and then...

Anyway I'm glad he's moved to looking for suggestions to improve the next Treo.

And I still want a floating chair . Why should Yoda have all the fun ? (Use the force!)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast