Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I know some of you out there use SlimServer. I've looked at some old posts and saw that there was some comment on using it with a treo friendly web interface. Which interface are you using? The default skin is hard to navigate on the Treo.

Another question. even though I set maximun stream to 96, when I connect it is trying to buffer a 320 stream. Any thoughts.

Thanks.
    Use the "Handheld" skin. Works just fine....

Also, in my experience, I've passed the bitrate in the url to PTunes, that seems to work, the other way doesn't: http://myserver:9000/stream.mp3?bitrate=64

BTW, SlimServer is my favorite solution so far for streaming music from my house. Not sure about GlooNet, but Slimserver meets all my current requirements!
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. I did stumble across the HANDHELD skin. However using the different link indicating bitrate didn't work. Did you change anything in your convert.conf file?
  4.    #4  
    Ok, do I feel stupid. It was under Player Settings-Audio there you adjust the outgoing bitrate and encodeing quality. This is a terrific product, it's free and works bueatifully. It allows me access to my entire home music library from anywhere I can make an internet connection. And unlike some other services like Gloonet I am totally self sufficient.
    I stumbled on Slimserver trying to find a way to organize mp3s with my Prismiq, which is a cool device (concept) with crappy support and an even worse interface. Many Prismiq users raved about Slimserver, I checked it out, and it works as well as advertised. I may even buy one of their mp3 players for my network.
    Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks
    Also, in my experience, I've passed the bitrate in the url to PTunes, that seems to work, the other way doesn't: http://myserver:9000/stream.mp3?bitrate=64
    This doesn't seem to work - ptunes still shows the stream at 192kbs - have you gotten this to work and does ptunes reflect the new bitrate on the display?
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by CySurflex
    This doesn't seem to work - ptunes still shows the stream at 192kbs - have you gotten this to work and does ptunes reflect the new bitrate on the display?
    I'll have to test it tonight, I've password-protected my Slimserver and PTunes doesn't seem to cope well with this. WinAmp just prompts me for a userid/password, but PTunes doesn't. So right now, I can't access my Slimserver through Pocket Tunes. But it DID work at some point....because it streamed perfectly for several hours, several times, before I set the password.

BTW, I also use Slimserver to stream at work, and I just checked and WinAmp is telling me it's a 64k stream.....

-TR1
    Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks
    I'll have to test it tonight, I've password-protected my Slimserver and PTunes doesn't seem to cope well with this. WinAmp just prompts me for a userid/password, but PTunes doesn't. So right now, I can't access my Slimserver through Pocket Tunes. But it DID work at some point....because it streamed perfectly for several hours, several times, before I set the password.

BTW, I also use Slimserver to stream at work, and I just checked and WinAmp is telling me it's a 64k stream.....

-TR1
    Actually after reading in the slimserver messages boards I realized I have to install LAME, after doing that I was able to bring it down to 64kbs.

Playing it through pTunes on Sprint is still not great - it still stops to buffer every few minutes. OH well - I guess this generation of the sprint network is not "there yet".

About the user name and password, I think you can include that in the URL for ptunes, I think I saw that on the ptunes web site, so something like

Code:
    http://username:password@www.yourserver.com:9000/stream.mp3
    actually here it is, I dug it out from the ptunes docs:
    http://www.pocket-tunes.com/pockettu...html#ShoutCast
    Darn it.....I remembered on the way to work this morning that LAME was required to get lower bitrates to work....you beat me to it!!!

BTW, I have NO issues with 64k bitrate streams on Sprint. Even with one bar (which I get when at work or at home) it works just fine. Interesting that it doesn't work for you.

Thanks for the username/password link. I hadn't gotten around to going back to the Slimserver site and looking for the answer.

-TR1
  10.    #10  
    Regarding the buffering even though it's at 64kbps, in SlimServer under player settings, in the same area where you can adjust the bit rate, there is also a value for encoding quality or something like that and it uses a range of 1 (best encoding) to 9(worst encoding)(I think it goes to 9). Anyway I was having similar problems even though I got it to encode to 64kbps ok. The problem I was having was that the processor on my Server (700mhz) wasn't keeping up with the encoding and everything else I have it doing. I was able to change the quality control to something like 4 or 5 and then it fixed the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by sci72
    Regarding the buffering even though it's at 64kbps, in SlimServer under player settings, in the same area where you can adjust the bit rate, there is also a value for encoding quality or something like that and it uses a range of 1 (best encoding) to 9(worst encoding)(I think it goes to 9). Anyway I was having similar problems even though I got it to encode to 64kbps ok. The problem I was having was that the processor on my Server (700mhz) wasn't keeping up with the encoding and everything else I have it doing. I was able to change the quality control to something like 4 or 5 and then it fixed the problem.
    I don't think that this was my problem, its running on a high end PC.

However I gave up on trying to stream my library to my Treo over Sprint, and bought an iPod
    For the record, I have SlimServer running on a PII 400 MHz PC, and it has NO problems recompressing my MP3s. And, on top of that, that PC is my house domain server, and is running Apache, Tomcat, MySQL, and the Adobe Workgroup Server.....it's NOT the PC that was the problem, unless you had it serving up video too!!!

-TR1
  13.    #13  
    ok TriangleRock you win for having the busiest home server.
    And for that I get a cookie?

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Does anyone using slim server have Cox as an ISP? According to their terms of service they don't allow any type of server to be ran on their dynamic IP residence service. Do they block people from using servers on their end?
    Please walk me through this.
    On Blazer I enter: http://(my computer IP Address):9000/stream.mp.3
    I have configured the exceptions in the fire wall as Slim Devices suggests.
    I get nothing, Blazer just says "Sending" until it powers off.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I had already posted the following message in a new thread and then found this thread.
    You guys mention is works, but my question is a little different:

I've read a number of people here use SlimServer with their 600s and 650s.

How exactly does it work? I've used SlimServer in the past with WinAmp and I know you browse the web page and then find your song and click the Play button. Then point WinAmp to x.x.x.x/stream.mp3.

With the Treo, do you do the same? browse and then start the stream in Pocket Tunes? or does it automatically start playing the stream with Pocket Tunes?

thanks.
    You do the same. Bring up Blazer, select your songs, start playing them, switch to PTunes and connect to the stream. Wish it was more automatic.....maybe we should get support for SlimServer from NormSoft!!!! Hmmmmm, there's an idea.

-TR1
    So is anybody currently using Slimserver to stream to their Treo? I'm a huge Slim fan, and use my Treo all the time, with the handheld interface, to cue up tracks etc for play on my stereo. However, I'm having trouble getting it to stream to my Treo.
    I use it, though not consistently. It tends to drain the crap out of my battery, and now that I have a 4GB SD card, I can put a lot of music on it. I usually use it more at work.

But it works pretty well when I use it. What problems are you having?

-TR1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast