1.    #1  
    I am new to this site, but was directed here to fix a problem with my Treo 650...
    I recently purchased an "unlocked" Treo-650, I currently have T-mobile service and the SIM card does work fine ... however, I am unable to load even a fraction of the programs (some of which are large) to the T-650 that I have on my Treo 600.
    The Palm people tell me that my phone is locked to Cingular - but I have T-mobile service. What to do? I have spent the better part of 3 hours looking around here and can't find (or don't know enough to recognize) what I need....
    My phone indicates the following: Version ... Palm OS Garnet v.5.4.5
    Phone Info ... Firmware - 01.05; Software - Treo650-1.04-CNB; Hardware - A
    I've tried to download the updater for unlocked phones from palm - but nothing happens... Is there anything I can do? Am I crazy or is there a fix for me?
    BTW, I also have a 1GB card and would be glad to have any programs that can load to the card. Also, I use Chapura's Key Suite to sync mulitple contacts from Outlook 2003. My office database program (we I need to download) uses just under 10M on the T-650.
    Is there a memory optimization fix? or should I just trash the T-650 and go back to my T-600?
    PLEASE HELP! Thank you in advance ... Jorgi
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    First of all you said ur phone is unlocked than why the *** does it say CNGB in your preferences? did you buy thru ebay or anywhere else? if it's unlocked than go to palm's site & update the firmware for unlocked gsm phone.
  3.    #3  
    I did buy it through Ebay as a brand new, unlocked phone - and it works fine using T-Mobile Service ... until I ran into this issue.
    Why does it say CNGB in the preferences? Is there anything I can do?
    The seller sent me this message:
    I would go to treocentral.com There are instructions on how to update the firmware. You must update it first to version 1.23 and then to 1.28. You will find the instructions in the dicussion section. I did this for my phone and all the cingular branded information was erased.
    That's how I ended up here - but I couldn't find the thread... Please advise... thank you for your prompt response....
    Jorgi
    The person you bought it from is probably talking about this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87669
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    uh-oh, without knowing the full details of the ebay listed item, it almost sounds as if you might have acquired a cingular version of the treo 650. this might be why the seller wants you to read the posts -- if you look on the palm website, you'll see the update that the company released about a month ago -- it's for the unlocked GSM version. so, in theory, you should be able to just download it from palm directly. the contents in the treocentral post are for cingular-locked treo 650s -- it gives you the methodology to install the updated firmware, ie, lets you unlock the phone.

I hope you didn't pay a premium for this ebay item thinking that it was unlocked...
    Since you have a 1Gb card get either Zlauncher or Powerrun.

They both allow you to run apps from the card. I use Zlauncher and like it better because of the option to liad different skins and backgrounds, and the ability to create tabs with whatever programs you want. It also shows ALL apps, even those loaded on the card.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW welcome to Treocentral. You will find all the information you ever want or need right here.

Dragonman
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk
    First of all you said ur phone is unlocked than why the *** does it say CNGB in your preferences? did you buy thru ebay or anywhere else? if it's unlocked than go to palm's site & update the firmware for unlocked gsm phone.
    Ouch! Did you really have to come at him like this. Apparently he paid for an unlocked phone; how was he supposed to know that it was going to have CNG in preferences prior to buying it?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    If you are using your T-mobile sim then your phone is unlocked. Just because your phone is still running the Cingular firmware and software does not mean it isn't unlocked.

If you want to upgrade to the unlocked GSM firmware and software follow the instructions in the thread that Insertion posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    The person you bought it from is probably talking about this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87669
    Last edited by oclv_9900; 07/24/2005 at 06:17 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you everyone for your responses.... I'll let you know if it worked. Thanks again!
  10.    #10  
    I've spent the better part of the afternoon and still can't find the link everyone has referred tooooooo. the www.codywalker.com/---whatever can't be found, (or is just being difficult and won't load for me ... )

Any other suggestions... I'm still helpless
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    You should be able to get the 1.23 update here . The other link may have been taken down by Cody.

On the other hand since you have a Cingular phone and the Cingular update finally came out you could just use it. It will not lock your phone back. Just make sure you get the correct one for your software version. There are 2 versions, one for Cingular orange (CNG) and one for Cingular blue (CNB).

HTH
  12.    #12  
    OK - I finally did it - however, not without some issues....
    (1) I did read the bold paragraph at the end (about removing the SD card) - however, DC Installer still ended up on the Treo 650 and seems to reset itself. I've gone from 1.06 to 1.13 about 3 times today - can't figure out what I'm doing wrong... But when you hit reset - it starts all over again, and again, and again....
    (2) No problem with the TMo service still working and the Cingular branding is GONE!!!! It definitely DID NOT upset the unlocked status of the phone that I purchased....

Any ideas????
  13.    #13  
    Also, still looking for the FW 1.28 link... 1.23 is firmly installed.