Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Hey Guys!

I found a new way to make your Treo 650 more stable! One of the problems of the Treo 650 (and other PDAs with NVFS) is that some apps which run in the background don't lock their DB into memory. When the DBcache gets filled and then clears it self, and these apps try to access their DB again, which is no longer in memory, it results in a crash. It is the applications own responsibility to lock it DB into memory, but some older apps don't do this, since they were made before NVFS.

This problem is discussed in the MTDN article here:
    http://mytreo.net/archives/2005/07/l...r_treo_650.php

BUT... I found a new solution!! Use Resco Locker to lock the apps into memory instead (it's free)!

http://www.resco.net/palm/locker/

This way you can chose which DBs stay in memory and which don't. Just lock the apps that are always open, and run in the background, such as hacks, OS enhancements, etc. Anything that is always running in the background. This should make your Treo 650 more stable!

Cheers,
    Jacob H.

P.S. This is only applicable to the Treo 650 (since it has NVFS), so I figured it belonged in this forum.
    Last edited by jacobh; 07/24/2005 at 12:06 PM.
    Someone beat you to it.....yesterday

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=resco+locker
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Yes, but this really only applies to the 650, so I figured it belonged here in this forum. The reasons one would use it wasn't described very well in that post either.
    so if locking apps such as db cachetool,font4os5, keycaps600 etc. would be what this app is mainly for, or will it benefit to lock other kinds of apps as well?can someone give a real-time assessment so we treo650 users can get a better handle on the total benefit of this app? I down loaded it, just trying to see how to use it to its full capacity,thx in advance!!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    veri impressed. I've discovered resco recently, but they keep coming out woth great and practical software. i'm alreadt using viewer, explorer, trialling backup, and now locker.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus
    veri impressed. I've discovered resco recently, but they keep coming out woth great and practical software. i'm alreadt using viewer, explorer, trialling backup, and now locker.
    Yes, I've been very impressed with all their software as well. Top notch stuff! I use Resco Explorer as well.

Yes, if you use a particular app a lot, locking it into memory can make it always load fast, rather than sometimes loading fast and sometimes loading slower. But the main benefit that I see of Resco Locker is increasing the stability of the Treo! I would lock all your apps that are "run in the background" type apps.
    Can you lock your "SavedPreferencesDB" file with this?? Other than that, I'm not seeing the point of this app.
    This program is long overdue. To understand what it is for, here's a nice article by Tealpoint.

http://www.tealpoint.com/cgi-bin/new...=tech&issue=11
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    The file size is showing and not the db size, right? I hope it's not locking 2mb for Ptunes.
    Can someone put together please a list of apps that would benefit from being locked down? I am constantly having crashes and I can't figure out what the problem is. I use Chatter and Verichat which work in the background but they are constantly being updated so I was "assume" they can work well with NVFS. Thanks.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Somebody has got to have some good examples for uses of this program!!! That article didn't really help me understand what a good purpose of it would be....I've been fine without it, so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by kronium
    The file size is showing and not the db size, right? I hope it's not locking 2mb for Ptunes.
    Uh... aren't files and DB's synonymous in PalmOS? I take RLock for it's word that "size" means "amount of DBcache that this will burn up"... supported by the fact that RLock won't let you lock more than 4MB of stuff into DBcache.
    Last edited by taroliw; 07/25/2005 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added quote
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
    I am constantly having crashes and I can't figure out what the problem is. I use Chatter and Verichat which work in the background but they are constantly being updated so I was "assume" they can work well with NVFS.
    I'm a CE (1.0.7b21) and VC (2.86b) user too, but I seriously don't put them in the same boat when it comes to ascribing stability. I have confirmed that VC running all on it's own can quite easily cause crashes, and have reported this fact to PDAApps support -- they seem convinced their software has no defects, though.

Upon starting RLock for the first time, I was very interested to note that ChatterEmail was *already* marked as locked... a fact that I intend to inquire about in the CE forums (not on TC) since it suggests Marc was already aware of this as a performance enhancer, or the like.

With regard to VeriChat, I found it interesting that it's "FileBrowser" helper was marked "open" (O flag)... I've marked VeriChat* as Locked and am interested to see if it helps at all with the reset behavior. I'm also curious to hear others' results.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Somebody has got to have some good examples for uses of this program!!! That article didn't really help me understand what a good purpose of it would be....I've been fine without it, so far.
    To understand what this does, it really is helpful to read the background whitepaper that others have posted. It basically underscores a few very important points with regard to PalmOS 5.

* RAM is not all one big chunk.
    * Applications to do not run in NVFS, they run from RAM
    * DBcache is in RAM, and is limited to no more than 10MB.

Quite telling, in fact, is how RLock (and others) report memory usage:

* Dynamic (5440K)
    * Storage (23024K)
    * DBCache (10M)

I'm not myself sure about Dynamic... but the more I read about memory and POS5, the more I understand that in order to be running, an application DB must be resident in the DBcache.... and that "DB" cache might well be understood as "file" cache (if we were talking about a regular OS, since in POS everything is basically a "DB").

So, then... the purpose of RLock is to prevent background applications -- ones you aren't staring at all the time, which would include the invisible hacks as well -- from being flushed from the DBcache as a normal matter of memory management. Since this is a completely new construct since the introduction of NVFS, some applications don't apparently understand that they aren't guaranteed a stable location in "RAM".

It gets me to thinking a lot of the apparent crashes in VeriChat, since most of the *#377 reports have to do with memory locking, reference issues.
    Hmm....guess that's reason enough for me to try it.
    I've been playing with this for a day now. haven't gotten more stability but can see, for the first time, why my treo crashes 10x daily. as I run all my usual apps (goodlink and keysuite) I'm left with 128k in dbcache, which slowly gets lower with each time I do anything, then causes the phone to crash when I run our of space.

does anyone know how dbcache can be cleared without a reboot? someone needs to write an app which clears the dbcache once it drops below a certain level, or on demand. since its NV memory, users won't lose any data. it may just take a little longer to load up the database, buts that's quicker than a reboot!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    ...does anyone know how dbcache can be cleared without a reboot? someone needs to write an app which clears the dbcache once it drops below a certain level, or on demand. since its NV memory, users won't lose any data. it may just take a little longer to load up the database, buts that's quicker than a reboot!
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=754083
    any instructions how to use this DBCache tool? Also, how does it's autoclear interact with appls locked into DBCache using RLock?
    ... Go Go TREO !!! The 700wx and T755P are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by winger
    any instructions how to use this DBCache tool? Also, how does it's autoclear interact with appls locked into DBCache using RLock?
    I don't recommend using the AutoClear option. Use Clear type=DB, check Safe mode and use DBCacheDA to monitor and periodically clear the DB Cache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    I don't recommend using the AutoClear option. Use Clear type=DB, check Safe mode and use DBCacheDA to monitor and periodically clear the DB Cache.
    thanks.

I show that I installed DACacheDA (in addition to the DBCache Tool), but I cannot find DACacheDA (even though it shows under "Delete" applications screen). Is it under a different name?

Also, why won't I want to autoclear on a softreset
    ... Go Go TREO !!! The 700wx and T755P are awesome
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast