1.    #1  
    Cingular has an outtage of data service, at least in this area.

Of course, no solution and they have no idea when it will be back in service.

This is particularly bad for me since I use text messaging to receive word from the answering service that patients are calling or the ER wants me or labor and delivery floor needs me.

Cingular is going to lose business over this.

"Oh, it could be back in service in 24, maybe 48 hours. We really don't know," said customer service rep.

<sigh>

-- (Dr.) Josh
    My only solution to this (out of frustration) was to switch to T-Mobile two months ago after losing data service (that I was paying for) for ONE WEEK.

I've never looked back.
    ive never had a data outage with cingular...5 years+

it was just the opposite when i had the sidekicks with tmobile, it was a regular thing.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  4. e40
    Where is "in this area"? Never had an outage in the SF bay area. I switched from Verizon (was with them for many years), and I have to say Cingular sucks *** compared to Verizon here. I *never* had dropped calls or reception problems with VZ. I'd say 80% of the places I am (same places as with VZ), I get ****ty reception.

I switched because I got tired of waiting for the T650, but I wish I had waited...
    I am in the SF area and I have rock solid data and voice with Cingular after the merger with AT&T
    I have always had great reception with Cingular. Couldn't ask for better.
    Every company has outages now and then. Sometimes it's because they're upgrading their system, sometimes is because there's a problem they didn't see coming. Areas with higher network traffic probably see more of these than places which don't. The problem is usually corrected in hours. If it's not it's because it's a major issue which needs further treatment.

If you think simply switching to another provider is going to change things I think you'll find you're mistaken. Cingular isn't the only provider to experience this.

I don't think any cell service is reliable enough to rely on for life and death situations 100% of the time.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I don't have problem with Cingular data service so far. I am located in NYC
    mashi,

do you have dropped call problems in nyc. i just moved 10 users over from verizon, 6 treos 4 razers and everyone is complaining about dropped calls. They all hate it, and loath that I moved them from verizon.
    I have a nokia 6230. I switched over from verizon about 8 months ago. I can't really tell the difference between the two. Cingular has been very good. I think you might have some bad Treos and Razrs. Usually Nokia has the best reception in terms of GSM handsets.

You may also want to make sure that your users are on the ATT towers. The T-mobile ones are overused constantly in NYC.
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej

This is particularly bad for me since I use text messaging to receive word from the answering service that patients are calling or the ER wants me or labor and delivery floor needs me.

-- (Dr.) Josh
    Last time i checked text messaging uses the voice network not the data network so you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrmcc
    mashi,

do you have dropped call problems in nyc. i just moved 10 users over from verizon, 6 treos 4 razers and everyone is complaining about dropped calls. They all hate it, and loath that I moved them from verizon.
    As much as I hate Verizon (primarily because they cripple Bluetooth), I can't wait to port back from Cingular. Cingular's coverage sucks in Maryland, and on the coast of Delaware, which is where I try to use it. I even installed a repeater in my building, to no avail.
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss
    My only solution to this (out of frustration) was to switch to T-Mobile two months ago after losing data service (that I was paying for) for ONE WEEK.

I've never looked back.
    In my area T-Mobile's data network dies alomst every friday night. I had a sidekick with them for a year and I will never EVER go back to t-mobile. Two tin cans and a string was better service then what I got from t-mobile.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    nope. i am using silver razr and now black razr. no problem on drop call. try to call cingular to reset the line.. on moto phone. lock the band to 850/1900. it helps