Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. amf
    http://www.resco.net/palm/locker/ -->Resco Locker is:

"a utility that keeps applications locked in memory on NVFS systems. While Resco Locker can be formally used on non-NVFS systems, it cannot do anything usefull here.

Why to use Resco Locker?

Main reason is the safety. NVFS brought changes to the Palm OS programming and not all applications reflected them. (Those that were last time updated prior to NVFS release, could not.) One of the most frequent problems is that the Palm databases are no longer fixed (in RAM). That's exactly the problem that is targeted by Resco Locker. For more detailed explanation of the NVFS specifics see please the discussion on the Resco Backup product page.

As a side effect, applications locked in memory need less time to load, which in turn may increase the performance of your handheld."

I recently installed this and have locked a few apps. If anyone have tried it, please post your experience here. Thanks!
    Last edited by amf; 07/23/2005 at 07:25 PM.
    AMF:

Sounds interesting. It's free.

I think I will play with this and see what happens. Thanks AMF.

Maria
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Seems to work great! I'd say this is a better solution than the DBcacheTool for making your Treo more stable. Just lock the apps that are always open, and run in the background, such as hacks, OS enhancements, etc. Anything that is always running in the background. This should make your Treo 650 more stable!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    Seems to work great! I'd say this is a better solution than the DBcacheTool for making your Treo more stable. Just lock the apps that are always open, and run in the background, such as hacks, OS enhancements, etc. Anything that is always running in the background. This should make your Treo 650 more stable!
    Do you think you can do a screen shot as an example?
    when I first opened this app I saw that some apps had a 'b' and 'Lb' next to them, what does that mean?
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    From http://www.resco.net/palm/locker/

Meaning of attributes: L-Locked, O-opened, B-Backup
    I'm still not following why I'd want to "lock" an application in RAM....the speed I can slightly understand, but my phone has no delays in anything that it does.

As for safety...how does this make my phone safer?? or my data, rather?
    With Rlock disabled, I get a speedtest result (Palminternals) of 114. With hede apps locked, I get the same result. However , upon locking SC hotkey (Part of Profile Care, one that registers under hede using sublaunch notification ) my speedtest goes down to 70 seconds! It seems RLock also makes apps using the sublaunch callback faster Btw, I also locked frequently used apps including Ptunes that I sometimes run in the background.
    Any potential negatives with locking apps?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Lock too much memory and you might not be able to run some of your large apps. And the more memory that's locked, the more often other apps are going to get swapped out of the cache. So I'd recommend only locking those apps that really need to stay in the background all the time: things like Butler, TreoGuard, etc.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    What else? Chatter? Verichat?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    I have locked the following apps, is this too much (I have only 9mb Ram avail.)?

Butler
    Hi Launcher
    Launcher X
    Lightwav
    Pocket Tunes
    ProfileCare
    SC-HotKey
    TakePhone
    Verichat
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    What I found interesting was that one application, ChatterEmail, *already* had the L flag set. I doubt RLock comes with a pre-configured list of these, so I found this especially curious. :-) And at over 1300K (I'm running 1.0.7b21) isn't not a lightweight to be locking... even though I intended to set it anyway to see if it would help with apparently contention between VeriChat and CE. But since it's VeriChat that likes to be pop-up happy, I'm hoping RLock will help with increases in crash rate since VC 2.86b hit the street.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx
    I have locked the following apps, is this too much (I have only 9mb Ram avail.)?

Butler
    Hi Launcher
    Launcher X
    Lightwav
    Pocket Tunes
    ProfileCare
    SC-HotKey
    TakePhone
    Verichat
    Is it too much? I have no idea.

When you say you have 9 mb of RAM free, where are you getting that number? The 650 only has 10 mb of RAM to start with (the 31 MB we somethings thing about as 'RAM' is actually flash ROM (the NVFS file cache).

In RLock, at the top of the screen, how much memory does it show as locked?

Also in RLock, hit the menu button, then RAM info. How much free memory does it say you have?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The Treo 650 has 23 mb usable ram after a hard reset.

Digital FX,

Resco locker has a 4mb app lock limit. So if you don't exceed that, I suppose you'll be alright. I locked powerrun and got resets while in Blazer. Unlocking this app again made my Treo stable.
    Another app that shows up locked (it should have been launched prior to checking or currently running) is Audible. The latest build has always been stable and reset free.
    can sokmeone please explain to me what this actually does. my treo crashed 1ox a day. only apps extra I have is Goodlink which is supposed to be very stable. Also KeySuite.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Is it too much? I have no idea.

When you say you have 9 mb of RAM free, where are you getting that number? The 650 only has 10 mb of RAM to start with (the 31 MB we somethings thing about as 'RAM' is actually flash ROM (the NVFS file cache).

Also in RLock, hit the menu button, then RAM info. How much free memory does it say you have?
    Actually I started w/ 20+ MB of free ram before I installed my apps....I now have 9.23MB free.....this is NOT my Cache.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb

Free Memory (RLock Ram Info)
    Dynamic 4603/5440
    Storage 9409/23024

MaxDynChunk 1951k
    MaxStorChunk 9408k

DbCache
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    So, if I want to delete an application that I have locked do I have to unlock it first? or it doesn't matter?

Al
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast