Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Pardon the cross post, but I've updated one of my earlier posts and consolidated all related information I could find. I only bring it up again to ask for review comments on the post I made here as I'd eventually like to submit it as a T|C FAQ entry.
    After reading this thread I was inclined to try RescoLock to improve my Treo 650's stability, and so I locked:
    - Butler
    - Chatter (main PRC only - are there any extra files I should lock?)
    - ClipPro
    - FieldPlus (main PRC and notify)
    - FindHack
    - Lefty
    - MinutesPlus
    - PowerRUN
    - Profiles
    - SharkMsg
    - ShortCut5
    - SnapCalc5
    - TextPlus
    - Uninstall Manager
    - VeriChat (main PRC and AuxApp, FileBrowser and FTAgent)

Any applications that I maybe locked unnecessarily?

Any ones I should have locked? Some apps I believe might need locking are ZLauncher, Agendus Pro 10, BackupBuddyVFS, DocumentsToGo 8, PocketTunes, TCPMP, Treo Alarm. They are currently unlocked in RescoLock.
    BTW... can one point me to a thread that explains DBCacheTool's options? I did install it as well, as I understand it can co-exist with RescoLock (in fact, it seems the biggest benefit comes from using both), but I can't figure the options at all..

Thanks!
    You can find a writeup here. Wanted to get a few comments from people before I submitted it to an easier-to-find location like the FAQs. Let me know what you think.
    I lock ZLauncher myself, and I'm not sure if it was the main reason or not, but I haven't lost [un]saved preferences in over a month now. It's great.

One caveat.. Sometimes ZLauncher's categories still get mucked up and you gotta unlock Resco, fix them, soft reset.. Then they'll be fine. Otherwise they never get 'saved' back, they go back the way they were. Kinda like RL is making the ZL Cats pdb read only or something. But it doesn't happen too often.

And the no-prefs-loss is definately worth it. I love RL
    I want to add a note on the role of NVFS cacje managing utilities after the latest ROM update:

I have run every possible software in sequence (DTG, VM, Blazer, BBVFS, Resco Explorer Backup, PalmPDF, Express_2, 2day, Detbk5) and the Treo has run all of them without a hiccup. Sometimes the total and largest free cache would dip to 1 meg and 600K but running the next memory hog would have the OS free it up. If Blazer was run, some garbage collection was dome to get 10 megs total and 7 meg largest free cache.

The point is: Such tools may not be needed very soon. If the OS is managing the cache correctly (finally!), it could be detrimental to lock applications in there and not allow the OS to do it's thing.

Just a thought to those deciding to start using dbCache and/or Locker.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I want to add a note on the role of NVFS cacje managing utilities after the latest ROM update:

I have run every possible software in sequence (DTG, VM, Blazer, BBVFS, Resco Explorer Backup, PalmPDF, Express_2, 2day, Detbk5) and the Treo has run all of them without a hiccup. Sometimes the total and largest free cache would dip to 1 meg and 600K but running the next memory hog would have the OS free it up. If Blazer was run, some garbage collection was dome to get 10 megs total and 7 meg largest free cache.

The point is: Such tools may not be needed very soon. If the OS is managing the cache correctly (finally!), it could be detrimental to lock applications in there and not allow the OS to do it's thing.

Just a thought to those deciding to start using dbCache and/or Locker.

I agree, since I installed 1.17 update, I have seen no need for either app. I have uninstalled both as the os seems to be doing its job.

I to have run every single app on the Treo and got the same results as above.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    You Cingular 1.17 folks are maintaining my candle of hope. Despite having spent a fair bit of time writing up that article, I'd be perfectly happy to know it was obsolete and no longer needed because PalmOS was improved. Until there is a fw update for Sprint, Verizon, GSM ROW though, perhaps someone can still benefit from it.
    Ok. Just want some confirmation that these are Ok to be locked:

Butler
    Call Filter
    Graffiti Anywhere
    NorthGlide's Cleanup
    Phone Technician
    PowerRun
    PXA Clocker
    SharkMSG
    UDMH
    NorthGlide's Uninstall Manager
    VeriChat
    VolumeCare

Also, can the Treo 650's built in RealPlayer be locked and should it be locked? What about Aeroplayer and PocketTunes? And if PowerRun can and should be locked, why not ZLauncher since it has PowerRun-like capabilities?

Which files should actually be locked? Just the main app.'s prc or all the other files that are installed with it, for example, VeriChat and its associated files or ZLauncher and its plugins.

Finally, "LB" means Locked AND Backup right?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 12/21/2005 at 01:57 PM.
    let me say this again -

There is no point whatsoever in locking any of my applications. (For FieldPlus, it is beneficial to lock the panl, but don't lock the notifier.) Although it won't cause any problems, you're forcing the system to keep two copies of the code in memory. The background processing will never use the copy that Resco Locker locks in memory.

These applications this applies to are: kill-touchscreen, the fieldplus notifier, keyshades, and keycaps 600 (modified/0.9 series).
    Naive question: Are ROM applications (Blazer, Versamail etc.) always in the active memory and never go through the dbCache process to the NVFS storage?

Bonus question: Should Xpress Mail (or Sprint Business Connect) be locked?

That is the ONLY non-ROM application that I can think of that is doing anything in the background. The other (occassionally) is pTunes, but I understand that it protects itself.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Naive question: Are ROM applications (Blazer, Versamail etc.) always in the active memory and never go through the dbCache process to the NVFS storage?

Bump...
    According to this diagram from the P1 site, rom apps don't go through dbCache. Of the 32MB of DRAM, 16 is allocated to executable rom, 10MB is dbCache, and the other 6 is dynamic heap.

My advice would be to lock as little as needed to get stability. In other words, lock one at a time until lost prefs resets go away.

Resco Locker only let's you pick prcs, so that answers that question. You can't lock rom apps, so you can't lock RealPlayer.

Of your apps, I only have Butler and SharkMsg installed. Butler locks itself, so it's taken care of (yes, "LB" means Locked and Backup). I've never seen a need to lock SharkMsg. It doesn't really run in the background - it just responds to the event when the call is ignored.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Okay, I performed a search and after reading all 73 posts regarding the locking of apps using Resco Locker. So do we have a general consensus on whether to lock Pocket Tunes or to leave it unlocked. I used Resco Locker for a few weeks and not one reset, but after using P-Tunes for a week, a few resets have occurred. Once the reset is finished and I launch P-Tunes, the message from P-Tunes is asking me if their application might have caused a reset and to contact them at their email support. Also, ##377# has the message saying reset caused by unknown application. I ran the Palm Internals notif test and nothing about P-Tunes under " hede. " The other apps which might be asked about and have been previously mentioned as to being locked with Resco Locker in other posts apply to my Treo 650 also. So basically I just need to know what the consensus is about locking P-Tunes. Thankyou.

I forgot to mention that the P-Tunes is the deluxe version 3.1.3.

------------------------------------
    Treo 650 Sprint
    1.12 Rocks !
    Last edited by ehosey2; 01/23/2006 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Specification of version of P-Tunes.
    I'm pretty sure pTunes locks itself when playing. I have had ptunes playing in the background while surfing on Blazer or opening Doc-to-go or PalmPDF while Xpress Mail downloads e-mails silently in the background. Pretty amazing, considering the limitations of the OS...

To verify, read extensive discussion on Locker on Resco's forum
    http://www.resco.net/forums/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=21
    and peruse discussion on pTunes's official Yahoo group
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pocket...guid=210628846
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234