Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FYI, there's absolutely no need to lock the latest experimental versions of my applications (the ones dated 29 july). In fact, I recommend against doing so; it's a waste of memory. That's because rather than locking themselves into memory, they allocate memory that the NVFS will not touch and copy themselves to that memory. If you lock them, you're forcing the OS to keep two copies of the application in memory at all times. The "cached" copy - that is, the one that Resco Locker locks into memory - is only be used when you launch the application as a foreground task, i.e., change the settings.

edit: there's still benefit to locking the FieldPlus panel. But don't lock the notifier.
    doomsey,

Why shouldn't the Fieldplus notifier be locked? I locked all of my panl prcs including the notifier without any problem.
    Can Resco Locker co-exist with DBcachetool installed at the same time? And if so what settings would you use?
    My Treo has been more stable with less resets since using RLock.

Currently only have these locked:
    Butler
    Directory Assistance
    dbScan
    Keyshades
    PowerUp
    Screen
    TakePhone

Updated ver 1.05 with 5 way navigation available now. Makes it much nicer to use.
    Thanks to Jan of Resco for granting my request on the 5 way. : )
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    My Treo has been more stable with less resets since using RLock.

Currently only have these locked:
    Butler
    Directory Assistance
    dbScan
    Keyshades
    PowerUp
    Screen
    TakePhone

Updated ver 1.05 with 5 way navigation available now. Makes it much nicer to use.
    Curious why you would lock Directory Assistant and dbScan? Those don't run in the background at all...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    there's still benefit to locking the FieldPlus panel. But don't lock the notifier.
    I dont get what's the difference between "FieldPlus panel" and "notifier"? The item that shows up under RLocker as "FieldPLus", is that the panel? What is the notifier then and how do you lock it?
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Is anyone locking Volume Care?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    locking Vcare is unnecessary according to the developer/
    i dont lock any of my apps, and im running just fine. doesnt locking app take up memory? what are the benefits (faster load times?) should only background apps b locked?
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Franko515 - if you don't have any intermittent mysterious unexpected soft resets that seem to be associated with certain apps, you probably don't need Resco Locker. The app itself is small and I don't think it causes any extra memory to be used as long as you only lock apps which are always running anyway.

The only app I locked was Causerie. Once in awhile after dbCacheTool ran, the Treo would soft reset. The crash address was where Causerie had registered a callback function, so locking it in cache prevented that problem. Apparently the Treo was trying to execute code that was no longer at that address. Always a bad thing.

Otherwise, Butler and GoodLink both lock themselves. TreoGuard and ProfileCare are my other two bg apps but haven't seen a need to lock them.
    ty
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I have to say this: since downloading rlocker the other day and locking my background programs (like Verichat, TreoGuard, Butler, etc), I have not had a reset, and prior to this I was getting at least 2 resets a day. The way I can easily tell if I get a reset is if my Treo asks me for a password (it's only set to do that on a reboot).

I was told by Marc at Chatter not to lock Chatter down, but overall I'm very happy with the program! I'm going to buy their backup program shortly as that is stable for me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    I'm going to buy their backup program shortly as that is stable for me as well.
    You should look into Resco Explorer as well. Not only is it a great File Browser, but has a built in zip manager and backup. (It doesn't do scheduled backups though, needs to be done manually.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You should look into Resco Explorer as well. Not only is it a great File Browser, but has a built in zip manager and backup. (It doesn't do scheduled backups though, needs to be done manually.)
    I was going to look into it, but I already have a free zip program, and ZLauncher does what I need for file management. Also, I do want scheduled backups. Thanks though!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer
    Can Resco Locker co-exist with DBcachetool installed at the same time? And if so what settings would you use?
    I've been thinking the same thing. I'll be trying it out soon though.

BTW, this is an excellent thread that should be stickied to the 650 Hardware forum.
    this shouldn't be in the hardware forum. it's about an app (a great app )
    I've just decided to try Resco Locker, although my Treo is pretty darn stable, it's been a little less so recently trying out Agendus (go figure).

Under advice from the Resco forum, I've locked everything in hede, hpps and hvch in PalmInternals, as well as some others:

KBLightsOff (20k)
    KeyGuardTime+ (48k)
    LEDOff (11k)
    TreoAlarm (159k)
    VolumeCare (76k)
    ZLauncher (1926k)

With all this, I have 2239k locked. I'd like to lock Agendus too, but that's well over the 4M limit. If I remove a few of the above, I can squeeze it in, but just barely, around 4020k I think when I did it a few ago.

So any advice.. Should I dump a few of the above and lock Agendus as well, and would the locked amount being so close to the limit (4096k) be dangerous?

Thanks.
    I don't think there is a need to lock ZL. It doesn't use hede notifications and is constantly in memory anyway since it's the default launcher. I'm not sure why you'd need to lock Agendus either, but since I don't use it I can't say for sure.
    I wasn't sure, honestly.. ZLauncher sometimes loses its databases out of the blue, when some other program crashes, so.. I guess the question is, when ZLauncher launches an application, is it itself still resident.

I've seen people mention that DateBk5 with alarm handling sometimes has issues if other programs issue an alert, so I figured Agendus would have the same issues.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast