View Poll Results: Does your metal case affect signal quality?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • I own an aluminum-open case and have minimal to no signal degredation.

4 18.18%
  • I own an aluminum-open case and have a lot of signal degredation.

1 4.55%
  • I own an aluminum-closed case and have minimal to no signal degredation.

2 9.09%
  • I own an aluminum-closed case and have a lot of signal degredation.

8 36.36%
  • I own a magnesium-open case and have minimal to no signal degredation.

0 0%
  • I own a magnesium-open case and have a lot of signal degredation.

0 0%
  • I own a magnesium-closed case and have minimal to no signal degredation.

6 27.27%
  • I own a magnesium-closed case and have a lot of signal degredation.

1 4.55%
  1.    #1  
    Here's the deal. I've heard some people say their metal case did degrade quality...I've heard some people say it didn't degrate quality. What I really want to know is by how much does it degrade quality (if any at all).

Here's a link to a program called SignalMeter that Shadowmite posted in another thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...achmentid=9162.

Please post thoughts on the cases, RSSI degredation (lower numbers are better), etc.

**I dunno if a magnesium-open case exists...but it's there IN CASE (get it..HAHA) anybody decided to alter their own cases to use their keyboard.
  2.    #2  
    BTW....open/closed clearly refers to the keyboard!!

Also, I'd appreciate it if you guys shared how they feel in your hand...their weight...etc.

Thanks!!
    I tried to vote twice but couldn't. I have minimal signal loss with my aluminum case and no signal loss with my magnesium case. The only reason I even notice any signal loss with my aluminum case is that the download rate will pause occasionally when I'm at home.

I reviewed my mag case in my case thread, it starts on 7-18-05 http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...&pagenumber=17
  4.    #4  
    Yup, forgot that some people might have multiple cases when I was making the poll.

Thanks for the reply, james.
    Everything I have read on the aluminum cases has sugested that users have slight signal loss. I barely get a signal at my house anyway or else I would have never noticed it. I love the magnesium case but I wish there was a version with an open keyboard. I bought the open KB aluminum case from Pacific Rim and it is just not made well,,,,,, not like the magnesium case,,,,, that thing is perfect. The treo slides around a bit in the aluminum case and many of metal edges come very close to the Treos finish, I ended up getting 2 scratches on the ear piece

Those aluminum cases are very bendable and Pacific Rims needs a bit more foam inside.
    I have the Innopocket aluminum case and have no signal loss at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by tippymn
    I have the Innopocket aluminum case and have no signal loss at all.
    Go to an area where signal is very low (roaming or non-roaming)...then try with and without the case. You will notice a difference. In areas where signal is pretty strong, you will not notice a difference.
    ... Go Go TREO !!! The 700wx and T755P are awesome
  8.    #8  
    Welp...I think my mind is made up, now. Looks like I'm just gonna be caseless forever. I wish I had the money to spend on an iVolution.
    Ya Im at a loss myself. I love the Nutshell, there is zero chance it will ever fall off, its low profile and easy to use. Heres my review starting on 4-4-05
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=3

But sometimes I need to carry the treo in a satchel and for that I want a solid encompassing case. The magnesium case was perfect but man, I got sick to death of opening the door to type. The pacific Rim open KB case looked like it would fit the bill but what a cheap piece of junk!

Any passers by feel free to throw up any ideas

I dont like the vaja cases,,,, They are to pretty for me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    The magnesium case was perfect but man, I got sick to death of opening the door to type. The pacific Rim open KB case looked like it would fit the bill but what a cheap piece of junk!
    Why don't you put a dremel to the part covering the keys?? The hinges clearly aren't designed for those purposes...but, it might work alright.

Has anybody done that to the magnesium cases yet?
    I did it. I cut the bottom of the door off with a trim saw and then shaped it up with a metal file. It worked really well and it was totally functional but it looked stupid. No one could have done a better job but it just didnt look good any way. I think I'll give up. When I carry the treo in my book bag I'll just put it in the nutshell case. I want it all, complete protection, totally functional and good looking.
    I was big on the hard cases for protection initially until I found out about the signal loss for myself. I searched high and low for a decent leather case with FULL protection for my treo and decided on the EB Flipper. I love it! And would never go to anything else. I did make 2 small modifications though... I glued some anti-slip rubber in the back and made a cutout for the external antenna port.
  13.    #13  
    As soon as a magnum case with open keyboard comes out....I'm all over it. I'd even pay $60 if Pacific Rim or Innopocket made an open keyboard case outta magnesium. Seems like aluminum is the culprit of the signal loss!!
    I have both innopockets and both do cause a signal loss in my experience. The signal loss is at least one bar on my signal meter. It makes a big difference in low signal areas where I would only get 1 bar in the first place.

As for modifying magnesium with a dremel. People should be aware that magnesium is flamable.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    As soon as a magnum case with open keyboard comes out....I'm all over it. I'd even pay $60 if Pacific Rim or Innopocket made an open keyboard case outta magnesium. Seems like aluminum is the culprit of the signal loss!!
    I hope its Innopocket because that Pac Rim case was made like crap. I was severely disappointed that the aluminum case was so flimsy. The magnesium case was unbelievable. It was molded perfectly, and that magnesium composite was extremely solid. I was testing the strength of a broken one with a hammer and was shocked how strong it was. My only real gripe is why is the top half of the door so big? On the aluminum and the magnesium case the area over the ear piece was way bigger than it needed to be. The inside of the door is 1/3 of an inch from the ear piece.
    I had the Innopocket aluminum case. Within seconds of putting the phone in the case it went to "no service". In and out a couple of times to prove that fact to myself, then I went to get my RMA number...

-NP
    Ha.. You must live in a REALLY CRAPPY coverage area.. But then again, nobody is saying what service they have. CDMA Sprint might have more trouble going through the AL than GSM might.. Or 900 might be worse than 2400, etc etc..

My Cingular GSM is *fine* in the case.. Maybe it's less, but I see no difference in practice, low signal is still a low signal without the case.

My biggest problem with the case is that it rubs the chrome on the front every time, leaving marks.. Not scratching.. yet.. So far seems to be leaving glue behind. I'm gonna have to modify it a little with some pliars I think, to push in, but not squeeze.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    ...but I see no difference in practice, low signal is still a low signal without the case...
    In my situation, when I am inside large office buildings with my Sprint PCS phone, I get a low signal. If I have the aluminum or magnesium case (I've owned both) on my Treo, then the low signal becomes no signal. Thus, having the metal case on in a low signal area makes a big difference. In addition, when I go on the internet, the lower signal caused by a metal case slows down my downloads... very frustrating.

I no longer use the metal case because of signal drops. That being said, the metal cases did provide good protection for the Treo.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    As for modifying magnesium with a dremel. People should be aware that magnesium is flamable.
    Heh...I completely forgot about that. That's one of the only things I thought I remembered from Chem class!
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Ha.. You must live in a REALLY CRAPPY coverage area.. But then again, nobody is saying what service they have. CDMA Sprint might have more trouble going through the AL than GSM might.. Or 900 might be worse than 2400, etc etc..
    I live in a very good coverage area and have Verizon. At home where I tried the Innopocket, I normally have 2-3 bars, yet "no service" happened within 10 seconds of putting my Treo in the case every time. I've since switched to the Speck skin case and really like it better anyway.

However, I must also say that my Treo gets the worst reception of any phone I've ever had. It will drop calls in places I've never dropped before with a Star Tac, Moto t720/v60, Samsung, or even LG phones. I don't drop that many calls, but even a few is a problem. However, I've found that I really need the tradeoff of PDA functionality, so I just deal with it.

Also, I use ZLauncher which has a readout of signal strength. When I've checked I see 85-88 at home and 71-74 at the office. However, if I put the phone to my head and keep it there for several seconds then quickly look at the signal strength, I see it consistently lower than normal - sometimes as low as 95-98 (from a base of 85-88 at home). Ok, here come the thick skull jokes! But seriously, I'd like to know how much better signal I'd get with a pull-up antenna.

-NP
    Last edited by NullProto; 07/29/2005 at 12:00 PM.