Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    What do I do when my phone won't reset? I've spent hours upon hours on the phone with Cingular and Palm One technical support, and I don't have ANY third party applications on the phone. The phone is defective, and Cingular and Palm won't replace it without me agreeing completely absurd additional terms and conditions - like pre-authorizing a $425 charge should some guy in their warehouse determine that I caused this problem, and I have no ability to discover, evaluate or challenge these findings. I am extremely frustrated!
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmclapp
    What do I do when my phone won't reset? I've spent hours upon hours on the phone with Cingular and Palm One technical support, and I don't have ANY third party applications on the phone. The phone is defective, and Cingular and Palm won't replace it without me agreeing completely absurd additional terms and conditions - like pre-authorizing a $425 charge should some guy in their warehouse determine that I caused this problem, and I have no ability to discover, evaluate or challenge these findings. I am extremely frustrated!
    And you tried a zero out reset?

Quote Originally Posted by Palm Support
    Tungsten T5; Treo 650 only

A zero out reset will regress a device that has non-volatile memory to its factory-fresh state. When done correctly, it completely rewrites your device's internal memory with zeros and ones, ensuring that any data is expunged. It should be used only if you want all information completely obliterated (example: you're selling your handheld, or you're sending it in for repair, and want to protect your privacy).

Tungsten E2 note: a hard reset (above) produces the same results as a zero out reset - completely rewrites data on internal memory. No need to perform the steps below.

Warning: A zero out reset will erase everything on your device. All your data will be removed, and formats, preferences and other settings are restored to their factory default settings. Don't perform a zero out reset unless you want to eradicate everyting.

HotSync note: If you wish to continue using your handheld after a zero out reset, please be aware that some third-party applications change the way your handheld backs up data. Other third-party applications do not back up data. If you have third-party software on your device, please contact the developer to learn what components are backed up during a HotSync operation, and if HotSync conduits are altered. Any data not backed up will be permanently deleted.

There are two ways to perform a zero out reset.

Method One (Tungsten T5 only)

This method works only with a Tungsten T5. It does not work with a Treo 650; for Treo 650, use Method Two, below.
    If you've set a password on your device, any hard reset will automatically become a zero out reset. With this method, you'll enter a password and then perform a hard reset.
    On your handheld, launch the Prefs application. From the list that appears, under General, select Security.
    If the Password box says "Unassigned," tap the box and create a password for your handheld.
    With the password set, perform a hard reset:
    Hold down the power (on/off) button on your device.
    While holding down the power button, turn over your device so that you can see the back of it. Still holding the power button, use an unfolded paper clip or a similar small object, to gently press the RESET hole (where?). Keep holding the power button throughout.
    While still holding the power button, the screen will show the Palm logo and a progress bar will appear at the bottom. Then the circular Palm Powered logo will appear. Release the power button when you see the Palm Powered logo.

http://www.palm.com/us/images/suppor...87_palmone.gif
    Keep holding the power button during this screen.

http://www.palm.com/us/images/suppor...eredcircle.gif
    When you see this screen, you can release the power button.

A message will appear warning that you are about to erase all the data stored on your handheld. Press UP.
    You may see a screen that says "Reformatting in progress. This may take several minutes." This screen will remain for several minutes (up to 10 minutes). Don't do anything while this is happening.
    If you did this reset correctly, the screen of your device will finally go blank after several minutes, and you will not be able to turn on your handheld. The charging LED will not light up. (any other activity such as the Palm OS logo and then the Applications launcher appearing means the reset was performed incorrectly; try again)
    Your device will appear "dead." To wake up your handheld, perform a soft reset.
    If you want your device to remain in factory state, stop here. If you want to restore data to your device, follow the steps for recovering after a hard reset (a zero out reset is a special type of hard reset).

Method Two (Tungsten T5; Treo 650)

Read through these instructions before attempting the reset. We made this method of zero out reset extremely awkward to perform, so that it would not happen by accident. You may need the help of a dextrous friend if you find it too difficult to do by yourself.
    Connect your device to its HotSync cable or cradle. The HotSync cable does not need to be connected to your PC, and it does not need to be connected to power.
    Press and hold the Power button and UP on the 5-way navigator.
    While continuing to hold Power and UP, press and hold the HotSync button on the HotSync cable or cradle. As you press HotSync, make sure your other finger doesn't slide to LEFT or RIGHT on the 5-way navigator; it needs to be exactly on UP during the entire process. Although you are pressing the HotSync button, a HotSync operation should not begin.
    While continuing to hold Power, UP and HotSync, press and release the RESET button on the back panel of your device (where's the reset hole?). This is very difficult to do with only one person; you may wish to hold the stylus in your mouth and use your hands to press Power, UP and HotSync.
    Release Power, UP and HotSync.
    If you did this reset correctly, the screen of your device will go blank, and you will not be able to turn it on. The charging LED will not light up, even if it's connected to power. It will appear to be "dead." (any other activity such as the Palm OS logo or a rainbow-colored Boot Log screen appearing means the reset was performed incorrectly; try again)
    Your device will appear "dead" for several minutes (up to 10 minutes). During this time, your device's internal memory is being reformatted. If your device doesn't appear "dead" for several minutes with the screen completely blank, the zero out reset was performed incorrectly; try again.
    After several minutes, your device will "wake up" and the Palm and Palm Powered logos will appear as if you had performed a hard reset. Eventually, you'll be taken to a series of screens to calibrate the touchscreen and set date & time.

If you want your handheld to remain in factory state, stop here. If you want to restore data to your device, follow the steps for recovering after a hard reset (a zero out reset is a special type of hard reset).

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(887),ts=Palm_External2001#zeroout
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    So what do you say, how many reboots is normal?
    as many as required.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Wipe it clean and try adding one app you use a lot. Use it for a little bit, then add another. Till you figure out what is causing the problem.

You can also enter ##377 in the phone and see what may have caused your last reboot.
    Thanks Darnell! I needed something to help troubleshoot my reboot problem. Suddenly VersaMail now reboots my Sprint T650 EVERY time I run it.

I recently added three apps (TreoGuard, BackupMan and a Diet/Exercise Program) and will begin backing each out.

Jeff
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123