1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I've had my treo 650 for 6 days now, and I'm hooked.

I dont own a data plan of anykind, but I was wondering if there is a way to sync my POP Gmail account (Or OS 10.4.2 Mail app) onto my treo 650? Mac or PC.

Basically, I want to be able to sync my mail with my computer and read it on the road without logging my Palm Treo onto the internet.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

-propynyl
    You MUST have data in order to use email. The only 2 things not labeled data are phone calls and SMS.

What service provider do you have?
    While I don't have a solution for propynyl, I think (I could be wrong) his point was missed here. It looks like he wants to avoid using data by using the palms hotsync to sync his mail between his computer and his palmhandheld. I'm pretty sure this must be possible as this was the way you got your mail on your handheld before everything went wireless. Does the stock versamail application do this?
    Hmm....after re-reading I see you are correct again, Paul. The word sync, to me, meant IMAP functionality. Anyway...I must be reading too much at once.

Yea...I'm pretty sure Versamail syncs with a hotsync. But it's not really gonna be practical to do it BEFORE you hit the road because you could just read it on your desktop/laptop before you leave. Unless you're getting like 1,000 emails a day...I don't see the benefit of syncing your email while sitting right in front of the computer.

I just don't understand why people buy this phone if they're not going to pay for the data.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I used my Treo for over a year w/o a data plan. Still was great. I played with a few different email/hot sync solutions. None worked great for me. Inbox-to-go is one. Another is Agendus Mail. There are others. If you have a mail client on your PC.. do a sync with your PC client. Then sync to the Treo. You can then take it with you.... read the email, and respond. When you get back to your desk, sync again, and your mail will be sent.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Quote Originally Posted by propynyl
    Hey all,

I've had my treo 650 for 6 days now, and I'm hooked.

I dont own a data plan of anykind, but I was wondering if there is a way to sync my POP Gmail account (Or OS 10.4.2 Mail app) onto my treo 650? Mac or PC.

Basically, I want to be able to sync my mail with my computer and read it on the road without logging my Palm Treo onto the internet.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

-propynyl

If you install Eudora Internet Suite (free last time I tried it) it will copy your inbox to your Treo everytime you HotSync. Setup your Outlook client to download your GMail.
  7.    #7  
    ^^ Thanks a lot, I will definatly try this one.

To answer the question above about "why do people buy a treo without the data plan," the answer is simple: Cause it is expensive! I'm already spending $39.99/month for the phone, another $25.00 on top of that is a bit too much.

So I use the treo as a phone, an organizer, for contacts and calander, to edit and view MS word/excell and powerpoint. To play music, videos...it has a lot of features that dont require internet connection. For $299.99, it is a rather cheap palm organizer.

Thanks guys! I'm going to try these out, I'll let you know what works.

-propynyl
    To answer the question above about "why do people buy a treo without the data plan," the answer is simple: Cause it is expensive! I'm already spending $39.99/month for the phone, another $25.00 on top of that is a bit too much.
    Well...that answer typically leads me to my next question: "Why buy a Treo from any carrier that doesn't offer unlimited data for $10/mo?"

So I use the treo as a phone, an organizer, for contacts and calander, to edit and view MS word/excell and powerpoint. To play music, videos...it has a lot of features that dont require internet connection. For $299.99, it is a rather cheap palm organizer.
    I guess $300 for a palm device with a keyboard and will always be in your pocket is worth it. Jeez, prices on handhelds are gettin' TOO cheap. Before you know it smartphones really will be replacing our laptops/desktops.

Also, JFYI...Repligo is pretty dern get at converting Office and PDF documents for viewing. No editing...but Repligo is one of the best apps for Palm devices, IMO.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Well...that answer typically leads me to my next question: "Why buy a Treo from any carrier that doesn't offer unlimited data for $10/mo?"
    Because Verizon has the best service in my area.

-propynyl
    Did you try the 650 with Sprint and their $5/mo roaming option (roam up to half of your minutes on verizon's network)??

Sorry if I'm being annoying, I just hate to see Treos go to waste like that.