1.    #1  
    Have seen the Gmail to FastMail to Chatter.

I just purchased Chatter today. Have been using the BETA 30-day trial in conjunction with my SBC Yahoo account and Gmail account. Going to buy FastMail today (Unless anyone has a better IMAP service Ssuggestion. Can I use the free Sprintpcs email account? Is it IMAP? Have also heard good talk of Fusemail.)

Now, because I have two different POP3 accounts forwarding to Fastmail and then to Chatter... Questions:

1. What will appear in Chatter?

2. If XXX@fastmail.com appears, then how can I differentiate which email account the mail originated - Gmail or SBC Yahoo?
    Right now using POP3 accounts is great because they're color coded when they appear in Chatter Summary page. But I can't open JPEG images without the IMAP. I know... I know...Have gone round and round with this, and it appears that IMAP acct is the only solution.

3. When replying to mail, how do I return email so that come from xxxx@gmail.com or xxxx@prodigy.com, NOT XXXX@fastmail.com?

PS I am sooo not a techy so please use lamen terms when explaining solutions. Thank you in advance. TC has not failed me yet.
    Last edited by Stockmarket; 07/22/2005 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockmarket
    Have seen the Gmail to FastMail to Chatter.

I just purchased Chatter today. Have been using the BETA 30-day trial in conjunction with my SBC Yahoo account and Gmail account. Going to buy FastMail today (Unless anyone has a better IMAP service Ssuggestion. Can I use the free Sprintpcs email account? Is it IMAP? Have also heard good talk of Fusemail.)
    I won't quote on Sprintpcs because I am not sure but I believe it is POP3.

Now, because I have two different POP3 accounts forwarding to Fastmail and then to Chatter... Questions:

1. What will appear in Chatter?
    Your forwarded messages. It will be in the Chatter interface with direct view of the message appearing like it came directly from Gmail or Yahoo.

2. If XXX@fastmail.com appears, then how can I differentiate which email account the mail originated - Gmail or SBC Yahoo?
    Right now using POP3 accounts is great because they're color coded when they appear in Chatter Summary page. But I can't open JPEG images without the IMAP. I know... I know...Have gone round and round with this, and it appears that IMAP acct is the only solution.
    You can always set up a filter on your IMAP server to send the messages to different folders and differentiate them on the device. Or get two fastmail accounts (one for each) to easily differentiate them.

3. When replying to mail, how do I return email so that come from xxxx@gmail.com or xxxx@prodigy.com, NOT XXXX@fastmail.com?
    Create an SMTP profile on each mailbox and use GMail's or Prodigy's mail SMTP servers. The SMTP profile is under the "other" tab when you edit the individual mailbox.

PS I am sooo not a techy so please use lamen terms when explaining solutions. Thank you in advance. TC has not failed me yet.
    Hopefully this was simple enough And as far as Fastmail, if you just want to use them as an IMAP interface you can try their free account. You get 10 megs of storage and 40 megs of bandwith free each month. I have GMail forwarded to Fastmail so I have a push solution. I don't keep much in my Fastmail account so it is not a problem for me. I delete most messages within a week and just archive them in GMail. Of course YMMV.

Good Luck,
    Rory
  3.    #3  
    Thank you Rory. I really appreciate the breakdown. Very helpful!
    Yes, thanks Rory!

Marc
  5. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    If you select the message and when it's displayed you hit menu h ("more headers") you'll see the email account it was originally addressed to. If you find you use it a lot, you can set the default to "more headers" under "Message View" in Preferences.
    Responding is as Rory says, but I find it hard to remember to select the appropriate smtp profile when replying, I almost always end up using the default. So if you're like me you should set as the default the one that you don't mind getting replies to even if it's not the right one.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsprouse
    I won't quote on Sprintpcs because I am not sure but I believe it is POP3.

Your forwarded messages. It will be in the Chatter interface with direct view of the message appearing like it came directly from Gmail or Yahoo.

You can always set up a filter on your IMAP server to send the messages to different folders and differentiate them on the device. Or get two fastmail accounts (one for each) to easily differentiate them.

Create an SMTP profile on each mailbox and use GMail's or Prodigy's mail SMTP servers. The SMTP profile is under the "other" tab when you edit the individual mailbox.

Hopefully this was simple enough And as far as Fastmail, if you just want to use them as an IMAP interface you can try their free account. You get 10 megs of storage and 40 megs of bandwith free each month. I have GMail forwarded to Fastmail so I have a push solution. I don't keep much in my Fastmail account so it is not a problem for me. I delete most messages within a week and just archive them in GMail. Of course YMMV.

Good Luck,
    Rory
    I done the same thing where three acounts are filtered into three Inbox subfolders. But I got the Full ($19.95) FastMail account not for the extra space but for the Spam Filter. I love Push Mail but hate Push Spam.