Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Aiiiiiieeeeee!

Someone please give me any and all advice you may have on getting better reception with T650 and Verizon.

I love the phone, but 15 minutes from downtown Chicago in a Verizon city and I drop more than 50% of my calls!

And I know it's my phone because these are the same people that I always talked to, in the same places, on my Kyo 7135--also on Verizon.

Antennae extension?

One of those things that I stick on my battery?

Already tried *228.

New phone?

Software?

Someone please give me some advice. I take business calls on this phone.

Oh, and the JB250v headset? After one week, I'm taking it back. Fits great, very comfortable, very secure. Has a range of about 3 feet. And even then it snaps, crackles and pops like a bowl of burning rice krispies. And no, the dropped calls aren't calls that I took on the headset. I stopped using the headset because I thought it was causing the drops, but, of course, it wasn't.
    My Sprint Service in Grand Rapids appeared equal B4 and after my Treo. . .

Can't help on the Verizon situation, other than to say what you have already done: tell the folks at Verizon of the problem and where. (Aren't they the, "Can you hear me now?" folks?)

I hope you find a fix, the Treo is a great device, it would be a shame to have to give it up.

Cheers, Perry.
    Did you put on the new Verizon update?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    new verizon update has done wonders for my reception. i've got a consisten one or two bars more than I had in very poor areas before the update. going out the backgate of my base, I would ALWAYS lose calls. Talked to VZW about it and they said that they knew about that area. that it was in a protected area where you can't put up a tower. however, AFTER the update, I can now drive on my merry way and not even have so much of a "robot blip" come from the headset. nice.

ps, the battery last longer now too.
    I think something strange is going on in Downtown Chicago. About two weeks ago I was having the exact same problem with my phone and I'm with Sprint. Whenever I would walk down Lake Street in the areas of State and Dearborn, my calls would drop and my signal would go in and out. I hadn't had that problem before, and haven't had it since (I don't think). There must be something interfering with cell signals. Maybe Sprint/Verizon are doing some upgrades that are/were having an effect on the signal?
    I've tried all those things, too. (SF Bay Area)

I'm convinced this phone sucks and I can't tell you how much I regret selling my Kyocera on ebay!!!

I think the only answer is to switch to a real phone and carry a palm pilot again (I'm ready to break out my old Tungsten).

I haven't talked to anyone who thinks this phone gets decent reception with verizon...anywhere.

Tom O'Connell

Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob
    Aiiiiiieeeeee!

Someone please give me any and all advice you may have on getting better reception with T650 and Verizon.

I love the phone, but 15 minutes from downtown Chicago in a Verizon city and I drop more than 50% of my calls!

And I know it's my phone because these are the same people that I always talked to, in the same places, on my Kyo 7135--also on Verizon.

Antennae extension?

One of those things that I stick on my battery?

Already tried *228.

New phone?

Software?

Someone please give me some advice. I take business calls on this phone.

Oh, and the JB250v headset? After one week, I'm taking it back. Fits great, very comfortable, very secure. Has a range of about 3 feet. And even then it snaps, crackles and pops like a bowl of burning rice krispies. And no, the dropped calls aren't calls that I took on the headset. I stopped using the headset because I thought it was causing the drops, but, of course, it wasn't.
  7.    #7  
    gr8hifi,

You're the first person that I've seen say the update really improved their reception. It might do the trick, but I'll wait a couple of weeks and see.

Because if I end up with bad reception AND a buggy phone, I'm going to lose my mind!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoc
    I've tried all those things, too. (SF Bay Area)

I'm convinced this phone sucks and I can't tell you how much I regret selling my Kyocera on ebay!!!

I think the only answer is to switch to a real phone and carry a palm pilot again (I'm ready to break out my old Tungsten).

I haven't talked to anyone who thinks this phone gets decent reception with verizon...anywhere.

Tom O'Connell
    I can honestly say that my VZW T650 phone gets great reception!!! Right on par w/ my LG 6100, & my 4400 before the 6100!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Wiggy-

What area do you live in?

I get about 1/4 of my calls dropped in SF and Marin. With the Kyocera 7135, I lost about 5%.

It may be that the 650 is all digital ... a "feature" that is promoted as a plus but is really a major negative imho.

In any event, I'm going to try the upgrade and if it doesn't improve, I'm selling the 650 and switching from verizon just out of anger at them.

I love the features but they are eventually going to be overshadowed by the uselessness of the phone itself...sorry to be ranting...

tom

Quote Originally Posted by WiggyFife
    I can honestly say that my VZW T650 phone gets great reception!!! Right on par w/ my LG 6100, & my 4400 before the 6100!!!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I thought Verizon was suppose to be "the best" in reception? I've had Sprint for a little over 2 years, and have had my Treo for about 3 months. I can honestly say I probably dropped less than 20 calls in those two years. I drive all around the Detroit Metro area, and talk hours a night on my phone while playing Halo 2 . You say you dropped 5% of your calls on your old phone. I would venture to say I drop probably 1 in 200 calls I make or receive. Maybe I'm just lucky I guess.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    my reception is great. never drop anything call or data (phx)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoc
    Wiggy-

What area do you live in?

I get about 1/4 of my calls dropped in SF and Marin. With the Kyocera 7135, I lost about 5%.

It may be that the 650 is all digital ... a "feature" that is promoted as a plus but is really a major negative imho.

In any event, I'm going to try the upgrade and if it doesn't improve, I'm selling the 650 and switching from verizon just out of anger at them.

I love the features but they are eventually going to be overshadowed by the uselessness of the phone itself...sorry to be ranting...

tom
    Chandler, AZ. (Phx, AZ East Valley)...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  13.    #13  
    Forgive my annoyance that people in the FREAKIN' DESERT! get better reception than I do. If VZW is the best, I shudder to think of what hte worst must be like...
    My Verizon 650 had some reception problems in fringe areas at first, and would drop about 10% of my calls, especially if I touched or blocked the antenna inadvertently. After the 1.03 update, however, my reception is awesome--NO dropped calls in the past 5 days. My signal strength at work went from 1-2 bars (still better than some coworker's Cingular phones) to a full 4 bars all the time. BTW, I'm on the National Single Rate plan, which I understand offers their best coverage.
    By the way, I believe Verizon's Treo phone section uses the Kyocera chipset, so if your software is up to date, performance should be on par, based on some firmware info I've seen elsewhere on the web.
  16.    #16  
    Okay, forced to revise my assessment of just how terrible the reception is.

Truth is, it isn't that bad. It's just that my neighborhood, in general, and my house, in particular, are a reception black hole. It IS worse in my apartment than my Kyo 7135--definitely. But I can't continue to claim that it's that much worse overall.

Yet!

I haven't left Chicago since I bought the phone. If I get it in my head to drive to Mt. Rushmore again with my girlfriend, I'm sure I'll have lots to complain about! I still hate that it's all digital!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but I had the same problem with my Treo 650 with Verizon - did the 1.03 upgrade, and didn't see much improvement. Was about to throw the thing out the window, and happened to drop by the Verizon store when there was nobody in there. The guy said that the Treo rep had suggested disabling Voice Privacy, as well as the GPS location, and it would improve reception. He did this for my phone, and *knock on wood* it appears to have helped immensely!!!!!!! I'm now getting four bars in lots of places where I used to get only one. Anything is worth a shot, the Treo is so cool if the reception would just improve.......
    <--- only person in north america who doent complain about tmo reception.
    I get crappy reception in south orange county (lake forest/mission viejo), ca. So I went out and bought 2 9db attenaes to hook into the aux ant. jack on the phone. Works wonders now, no drop calls and no struggling for the other party to hear me. I use one at work and one at home, I hook it up and just use the bt headset. Its annoying, but that was my only solution.

The treo seems to be getting less reception than other phones on the same network.

Good luck.
    I'm willing to try anything at this point. Can you tell me the specifics on the antennas?
    can i order them online somewhere???

many thanks for your research,

Tom O'Connell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast