Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There has been an ongoing discusion of this in this thread

The Cingular SIM manual network hack thread
    I just figured the titile of the thread needed to reflect that we have finally done it.

This has been tested i know for sure on Cingular T650's running 1.13Row Firmware. I need somebodys "PhoneApp_enUS.prc" file from the rom of a phone still running the Cingular firmware.

With mcdan333 pointing me in the right direction i was able to figure out how to accomplish this hack. There are going to be 2 ways to install this hack. You can just copy the "PhoneApp_enUS.prc" included in this post and copy it to your ram. Either by copying it to a SD card and then using a file exploer to copy it to your ram. You have to reset the phone after you do this or you can do it via blazer as explained by mark1107 here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=118

Use the method below only if you want to add the "Select Network" option to your custom Rom.

If you are going to make a custom ROM any way you can rename the "PhoneApp_enUS.prc" found in this post to "PhoneApp_enUS.oprc" and add it to your rom via T650tool found at Shawdowmites website.
    http://shadowmite.com/T650Tool.zip

If you want to edit the "PhoneApp_enUS.oprc" that you have in your rom you need to first do what mcdan333 says in this post
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=76When you download the tool form shawdowmites website its not called PRCedit2 on the web page it is called "PRC Edit - To edit flags or embedded graphics easie"

After i did this nothing happened, the "select network" option didn't show up. So this is where I started thinking like cingular would, in how they would keep the "select network" menu from popping up. Mcdan333 was on the right track in thinking that the sim card just pointed the phone to a different version of the phone app without the "Select network" option enabled. I tried that and it still didn't work. So i started to think that maybe it just blocked out the name so i change the tiltle of "Select network" to "Manual Network". That didn't work. Then I looked deeper and saw that the only MBAR resource menu that had the same options as my phone (Record, Edit, Options) were the 7000 ones. That made me belive that that was all that the GSM phones used. I didn't know what the other MBAR resource series were for (1100's, 1500's, 1800's), but they to also had the "select network" option. The only difference between the 1700's and the (1100's, 1500's, 1800's) "select network" was the "Select Network"'s Item IDs. Thinking that the only MBAR resources that the GSM Phones used was the 1700's I took a hunch that cingualr sim cards were blocking the "Select Network"'s Item ID. On my hunch that only the 1700 MBAR resources were being used i figured that they wouldn't block the "Select Network"'s Item IDs of the other MBAR Resources (1100's, 1500's, 1800's). So i changed "Select Network"'s Item ID of MBAR resource 7000 & 7001 from "7307" to "1306"(from the Item IDs of 1500 & 1501). Since my hunch ws that Cingualr's sim card wouldn't block a Item ID that they didn't use i went ahead i saved the file. WALA the correct menu points to a valid "select network" menu. We are just using a Item ID that the sim card doesn't block I then placed the file in my custom Rom and magically the next time i cut my phone on the "Select Network" option was there"

This is how i came to my conclusions and made this hack. If my conclusions were wrong. Oh well.......They got us to where we wanted .......To be able to select the network we wanted.

The old statment:
    REMEMBER: Any thing i post you use at your own risk, i take no responsibility if you screw-up your treo. I made my first custom rom last night, but i took the risk and now it works on my treo. BLA...bla..bla..if you screw it up it is not my fault.

Special Thanks to Shawdowmite for his wonderful tool sand help, mcdan333 for pointing us in the right direction and lazieboss for not wanting to give up on this and willingness to test it out.

I am going to try to get some pictures of how to do this later and maybe a clearer guide. I just wanted ot get this up before i went to work. if somebody can explain this better GO AHEAD.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by johnnytk36; 07/22/2005 at 12:04 PM. Reason: I was in a rush before
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
    Here is an original, untouched virgin 1.05/1.04-CNG PhoneenUS.prc I did not have the kahonies to attempt the custom ROMs, but if others report success without getting a reset loop, I will defintely give this a try.

Thanks, Fin.

You guys have way to time on your hands.
    CNG Locked 650.

Life is a lesson, you learn it when you're through.
    I did the appropriate changes to the file Finhead posted and it is working great on my stock 650 with FW 1.05 - I know have signal at work

Thanks to everyone for the help and the working file is attached.
    Okay call me stupid, but does this need to be done for each individuals phone, or will one of these overlays work on any phone?

I suppose it's generally safe enough to try and if it's bad, soft reset with the 5-way up, launch files, delete.

EDIT: And if someone has it in them, can you edit the 1.28 unlocked firmware's overlay like this and post it? I have a feeling I'm going to get my Cingular logo's and limitations back with the Cingular Phone file. Bleh.
    Last edited by khaytsus; 07/22/2005 at 02:13 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tlynch
    I did the appropriate changes to the file Finhead posted and it is working great on my stock 650 with FW 1.05 - I know have signal at work

LOL I just posted a edited file in the other fourm and was about to do it here when I saw yours. Good job.

I think we might have to do this everytime we get a update to the roms.

----
    JK
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Okay call me stupid, but does this need to be done for each individuals phone, or will one of these overlays work on any phone?

I suppose it's generally safe enough to try and if it's bad, soft reset with the 5-way up, launch files, delete.

It only needs to be patched for each version of firmware. Not each phone.

----
    JK
    So we need to mark what version is done for these? I assume the first one was 1.30, the second one was a standard 1.04 Cingular, someone post a 1.28? The 1.30 might not be much different..
  8.    #8  
    So we need to mark what version is done for these? I assume the first one was 1.30, the second one was a standard 1.04 Cingular, someone post a 1.28? The 1.30 might not be much different..
    SORRRY....what I ment to say i think it needs to be made for each version of software( i just had to look at my phone to check) ex. 1.13row, and 1.05 cingular.

The 1.30 upgrade as far as i can tell changed nothing in the PhoneenUS.prc file from 1.28 to 1.30.

Sorry for the mix up

We should start making zip files with the software version it goes with as the name of the zip. GOOD Idea This could get messy quick. Maybe not at the pace cingular is releasing their updates.
    Last edited by johnnytk36; 07/22/2005 at 02:28 PM.

----
    JK
  9.    #9  

I see that you didn't add "Select Network" to the 1101, 1501, 1801, 1804 and 7001 MBAR's. I really dont know if that matters. But i would add it to them just in case. It cant hurt to have extra "Select network"s, but not having enough could.

----
    JK
  10.    #10  
    Whats the best way to take pictures (screenshots) of the PRCedit program??

Free App?

----
    JK
    Snap. Not sure where to get it, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$'$s$ $free$.

The 1.30 seems to work fine, I get three Cingular's listed. Doh. I wonder if that means it's really three Cingular's, or three providers, and all three list as Cingular. Honestly not sure what it should show, but that doesn't sound right. I need to read up on the original thread I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnytk36
    I see that you didn't add "Select Network" to the 1101, 1501, 1801, 1804 and 7001 MBAR's. I really dont know if that matters. But i would add it to them just in case. It cant hurt to have extra "Select network"s, but not having enough could.
    I didnt add them because I didnt think they were necessary. Obviously the menu was being hidden. Which meant there was no reason to add new ones. Just fix the one that was being hidden.

So for so good anyway.
  13.    #13  

The 1.30 seems to work fine, I get three Cingular's listed. Doh. I wonder if that means it's really three Cingular's, or three providers, and all three list as Cingular. Honestly not sure what it should show, but that doesn't sound right. I need to read up on the original thread I think.
    Thanks i got snap for my palm already. The PRCedit program is for the pc. I know there is print screen but i was more looking for a app.

----
    JK
  14.    #14  
    I didnt add them because I didnt think they were necessary. Obviously the menu was being hidden. Which meant there was no reason to add new ones. Just fix the one that was being hidden.

So for so good anyway.
    True, I never made the rom with out them so i never tested it with out the extra "select network"s. Thats cool that it works. Makes it easier for us when we edited the next rom versions.

----
    JK
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnytk36
    Thanks i got snap for my palm already. The PRCedit program is for the pc. I know there is print screen but i was more looking for a app.
    Oh, heh! Yeah, at work I just prtscreen or alt-prtscreen and paste into MSPaint for screenshots.
  16.    #16  

I think it is 3 different providers. Some users say it wants to say all of them are cingular even when they know its a T-mobile tower.

That seems to be our next project. Trying to make it say the corrret service provider. It might be i don't know personaly. All i have in my town is cingualr.
    Ill have to make a trip to a bigger town for a t-mobile tower.

----
    JK
    Thanks JK36 and tlynch and everybody else that had a hand in this. I figured since it was my file you hacked, I just had to try it. You are the geek gods amongst us all.

I now see three newtorks. I can register with 2 of them. I actually get good reception in the office, so when I registered with the second network the phone dropped 2 bars.

I will give it try at my house where reception is not that great. I am also heading to Vermont in the morning and should get plenty of opportunites to try different networks.

This is awesome.

Fin
    CNG Locked 650.

Life is a lesson, you learn it when you're through.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finhead
    Thanks JK36 and tlynch and everybody else that had a hand in this. I figured since it was my file you hacked, I just had to try it. You are the geek gods amongst us all.

This is awesome.

Fin
    NO, Thank you for that file for us to mod.

But hey, we are enjoying it as much as you are

----
    JK
    OK, for us slow and not knowing, what are the step by step (simplified English) to make this happen. Is it just syncing a prc?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbdaigo
    OK, for us slow and not knowing, what are the step by step (simplified English) to make this happen. Is it just syncing a prc?
    What are you running 1.13row or 1.05(cingular).

----
    JK
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast