Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevestr
    DataViz v.7 Professional claims it can handle .PDFs. They have been nagging me to upgrade from v. 6.

Might want to check their website.

Hmm.. according to http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...ndex_palm.html
    their PDF is only text support. Not sure if that will help you or not.
    You have to process it through your desktop first.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    i am 99% sure it doesnt do it natively. Rather it converts them on your computer and hotsynchs them over in some proprietary format.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I wonder just how much heavy lifting is necessary to view adobe acrobat documents natively. If you type 500 words in Microsoft Word you'll have a relatively small file of like 10K with all the headers. Create the same document in Acrobat and it will bloat like Roseanne Barr... RAM requirements would also be very large and I'm sure Repligo and others strip away all the unnecessary headers and junk that are required for a PDF document (which is also more like image based than text based.)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    i believe there are 2 differnet types of pdf files. Ones that are image based and bloated all to hell and that the picsel viewer cant read, and then ones that are text based and reletively small that picsel can read and that you can buy 3rd party pc tools to covnert to .doc or .rtf etc. Probably never gonna get a graphics based file to open on a current generation treo but picsel proves a text based one is doable.

I have seen reference guides in pdf format that have a graphics based version for pc and a text based version for palm (even though you are need to convert it to the palm converted file anyway- so i assume that the adobe converter can only do text based files anyhow.
    Who sends you pdf files ???
    Can they switch to Repligo 2 format ?

http://www.cerience.com/products/repligo.htm

Repligo files are just like pdf except that they CAN be viewed on handhelds (with viewer).
    Ah, that makes sense, I didn't know adobe for palm can't view them natively.

I was in class the other day and went to the website for my prof. to download the syllabus...it was in .pdf format and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't open the damn thing in adobe. Would of been 'cool' to do that all on the fly while still in class
    1 | 2
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    there is an adobe email address to convert files for you. (i think it wonly works with the text based pdf's- not the graphics ones)

If i recall it's pdf2html@adobe.com

they keep changing it- google if that one doesnt work- there were some universitites that host similar services.

in theory you can download the pdf to your card- then email it as an attachment to the above address then adobe will email back an html email of the file for you. If it works to me its way better then installing adobe conversion bloarware on my PC and my treo.

I put it in my address book but i've never had a chance to try it in real life.
    I checked out the pdf2html@adobe.com address, but nothing happened.

Check out this thread for a similar discussion: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90960

Jeremiah Cook's PDF conversion service really does work, and fast too! It costs $25 a year for subscription service, and Acid Image Pro (image viewer) is a requirement to view the converted PDF to TIF file.

-Casey
    Being that I work with a product that parses, converts, and pretty much does anything with PDFs that you can imagine at the source code level (which I've worked on myself), I'll say with certainty that the Treo is just not designed to handle the "heavy lifting" involved. For one thing, it sometimes takes writing out to the "disk" to parse files, font info, etc. PDAs just can't do most of what PDFs have to offer. Don't blame Adobe, it's really NOBODY'S fault - it's just the nature of the beast, and if Adobe cut corners on PDFs just because of mobile devices, PDFs themselves would suffer.

Mike
    you CAN see a native PDF with Dataviz Docstogo v7, but it doesn't display it in the original format, it will display it like documentstogo displays a word document, and that's not what dstrauss is looking for.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    StarmanTHX-

picsel has been doing it for YEARS on clie's.

is my recollection correct that there are graphics based monster pdf's and then simplier text based one's? (or is my cartoon mind catching up on me? )
    StarmanTHX,

Besides Picsel, isn't possible to read native PDFs on Pocket PCs? I might be wrong about this.
    Picsel does, but it's limited. From what I understand it fails in certain areas (I think it fails for layered PDFs). Put it this way, anyone can write a PDF viewer that does simple viewing, but if you want a "kitchen sink" viewer, I seriously doubt Picsel is it.

I really should be more clear about why I don't think PDAs can handle a PDF viewer. First off, like I said, simple text and graphics are easy to do. It's when you get into things like security options, layers, embedded fonts, codepages, and a host of other issues that PDAs start to fail because they're not designed to handle the workload that a REAL viewer is designed to do, and the OS might not allow certain things to work. A PDA has a limited amount of storage space, both internally and on an external card.

I could go on and on but I'd bet I could throw files at Picsel that would cause it to fail.

Mike
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StarmanTHX
    Picsel does, but it's limited. From what I understand it fails in certain areas (I think it fails for layered PDFs). Put it this way, anyone can write a PDF viewer that does simple viewing, but if you want a "kitchen sink" viewer, I seriously doubt Picsel is it.

I really should be more clear about why I don't think PDAs can handle a PDF viewer. First off, like I said, simple text and graphics are easy to do. It's when you get into things like security options, layers, embedded fonts, codepages, and a host of other issues that PDAs start to fail because they're not designed to handle the workload that a REAL viewer is designed to do, and the OS might not allow certain things to work. A PDA has a limited amount of storage space, both internally and on an external card.

I could go on and on but I'd bet I could throw files at Picsel that would cause it to fail.

Mike
    Piscel handles my layered PDFs just fine. So long as the file is not bigger than the space left in internal memory.
    Has anyone been able to use the pdf2html@adobe.com consistently. For me it works about one third of the time the rest of the time I just get the following error messgae back as an email:

The original message was received at Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:06:42 -0700 (PDT)
    from inbound-smtp-1.corp.adobe.com [192.150.11.132]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    pdf2html@access-sjc0-1.ntbe.adobe.com
    (reason: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for pdf2html@access-sjc0-1.ntbe.adobe.com)
    (expanded from: <pdf2html@inner-relay-2.adobe.com>)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
    ... while talking to host-sjc0-61.ntbe.adobe.com.:
    >>> DATA
    <<< 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for pdf2html@access-sjc0-1.ntbe.adobe.com
    550 5.1.1 pdf2html@access-sjc0-1.ntbe.adobe.com... User unknown
    <<< 554 5.5.2 No valid recipients

I get this regardless of whether I send the email from Outlook Express on my PC or Snappermail on my Treo 650.

Does anyone know about this or another service that I can use that is similar.

Thanks

Marv
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elder_shawn
    I use my Adobe Reader for soft resets!
    Exactly! That software did nothing except reset my Treo-what a piece of garbage!
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    I have sent a support request to Adobe to check out this capability. I will post when I hear a response.

Marv
    PDF have gotton too complex for its own good. It is now another "everything including the kitchen sink" technology competing with other standards.

How many PDF docs out there cannot be rendered with RTF?
    10%? 5%?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    I checked out the pdf2html@adobe.com address, but nothing happened.

Check out this thread for a similar discussion: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90960

Jeremiah Cook's PDF conversion service really does work, and fast too! It costs $25 a year for subscription service, and Acid Image Pro (image viewer) is a requirement to view the converted PDF to TIF file.

-Casey
    The pdf2html doesn’t seem to work- (I’ve tried it like 10 times) but I can get pdf2txt@adobe.com and it works fine for text based stuff. Graphics you’re SOL…
    Picsel Browser really works beautifully. I'm fully willing to buy the software when they release it for the Treo.

Yes you need to download it and save to the card first.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast