Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you are a moderate-high user of digital music like I am then you're probably listening to music a good chunk of the day. Either on your headphones, in your car or both. Mind you this whole rant is based on my dire need for a true convergence device. The Treo 650 comes with a 2.5 audio jack installed. Not good. Not good for anyone. Why you ask?

If you want to use your good pair of headphones you spent a little money on or even a halfway decent pair of headphones you have to get an adapter. What does an adapter do? It converts from that 2.5 jack to a 3.5 audio jack. Now sure it sounds like mission accomplished move on. Yes but what has happened is you've created more points of failure, as in: more give between the connection. Now I'm a moderate to high user so I am putting in the connector and pulling out the connector a few times a day. Not a hundred maybe like 6-10 or something. Any adapter you put on that Treo is gonna make it bigger and more flimsy. Now, whenever I move the connected part it gets a static noise. I've tried my radio shack adpater and same thing. I'm sure it's just wore out or something. Any pressure at all causes it to bend even so it's very sensitive. I can't even play music through bluetooth because the bluetooth is old school. I'm so upset right now. I knew this would probably happen though but I was trying to stay positive. I wanted to be able to do everything on this device. I might be getting that 6315 just yet. Can it play full screen video? WMV at like 384kbps.

So if you're a music lover and want to ditch your ipod it ain't happenin. You're 2.5 will wear out. What has happened here is the palm company has catered to the old school people who still use a corded headset as opposed to digital music lovers. How many freakin corded 2.5 headset people are there anyway? GET WITH THE PROGRAM AND GET YOURSELF A BLUETOOF HEADSET!!!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Honestly, I don't think there was ever any goal of making the treo compete with an ipod.

One: battery life. Playing music will chew through your battery. For me, having an ipod die is no biggie. Having my PDA/Phone die is a biggie.

Two: memory size. Most serious music listeners have FAR more than the 1-2 gig available for the Treo. That quickly leads to the 'what should I load on my treo today?' question.

Maybe one day all things will merge, but not just yet.

Dana
    Palm's choice to use the 2.5 jack is frustrating, to be sure. I went through 3 adapters, but eventually the static/crackles would come back. Eventually it was totally static/crackles, and I took it in to a Sprint store and they replaced my Treo because of it (glad I had the Sprint insurance/replacement service).

Sometimes being different is cool. But with tech accessories (like headphones), it makes MUCH more sense to use the standard connections. And it's not like Palm has come out with a bunch of great hifi 2.5 headphones for Treo users to buy. Seems like a wasted opportunity to make some cheesy $$.

I really hope Palm wises up and goes with the standard 3.5 jack in the next Treo version.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by danachee
    Honestly, I don't think there was ever any goal of making the treo compete with an ipod.

One: battery life. Playing music will chew through your battery. For me, having an ipod die is no biggie. Having my PDA/Phone die is a biggie.

Two: memory size. Most serious music listeners have FAR more than the 1-2 gig available for the Treo. That quickly leads to the 'what should I load on my treo today?' question.

Maybe one day all things will merge, but not just yet.

Dana
    I hear ya. But when everything was working fine it did replace my ipod. I got good quality audio coming out and I have a 2 gig SD card. Music was playing great and it was converged, mission accomplished. And my battery was actually ok. I usually charge my phone at night anyway so it definitely made it through the day with heavy mp3 playing. But once the 2.5 goes... You're done.

or you can hassle with sending it back to Palm... Ugh...
    Yeah, this has been reported as an issue around here. Makes me weary of using my 650 for MP3s as I travel to and from China the next couple of weeks. This is why I'll also be taking my iRiver.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  6. Lew
    Sometimes being different is cool. But with tech accessories (like headphones), it makes MUCH more sense to use the standard connections.

I thought 2.5mm is the standard connection for cellphone headsets?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew
    Sometimes being different is cool. But with tech accessories (like headphones), it makes MUCH more sense to use the standard connections.

I thought 2.5mm is the standard connection for cellphone headsets?
    SO YOU'RE THE ONE. GIT EM'!!!
    You need this:
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...12-45--337.htm
    http://store.treocentral.com/store_i.../large/337.jpg

Those godforsaken radio shack adapters are destroying more treos than I can count. Just puts too much stress on the jack. I'm on my second treo because of that. The adapter above puts virtually no stress on the unit.

-BT
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    You need this:
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...12-45--337.htm
    http://store.treocentral.com/store_i.../large/337.jpg

Those godforsaken radio shack adapters are destroying more treos than I can count. Just puts too much stress on the jack. I'm on my second treo because of that. The adapter above puts virtually no stress on the unit.

-BT
    I usually use the Palm1 adapter.
    All you need is a Seido 2-in-1 adaptor (lets you talk and listen on a standard headset.)

I use the 2-In1 Headphones. 2.5 mm plug and a mic. The were $35 fromTreocentral.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    This brings up the arguement whether it is a phone first or a PDA first. Out of all the devices - whether it be PPC or Blackbery - I feel the Treo has the most phone like interface, the rest feel like a phone function has been thrown is.
    So if they were going for the phone as the primary use it makes sense for them to include the jack for a standard wired headset.
    My belt on the way into work and out of work has the Treo 650 and a Zen Xtra 40g on it. At work I plug my headphones into the Zen once, unplug it when I leave. When I'm walking around the house, I play mp3's on the speakerphone, sometimes from memory card, sometimes streamed over BlueTooth connection from my home network.

Shame that the connector on the Palm is fragile, but plugging it in and out 6 times a day would ruin any connector before long.

The Treo has an mp3 player in it. It's not an mp3 player. And for christs sake, Apple did not invent the mp3 player, so people, stop referring to mp3 players as "ipods" before I vomit.
    What do other Smartphone use like the ppc 6600?
    I can go away for months, come back and juice is still complaining. When are you going to dump the Treo and get a PPC? You've even got it in your avatar. This thread is more appropriate for the Multimedia forum, but anyway.

Another day, another complaint about the Treo from the guy who is a closet PPC fan . But he won't just dump the Treo and go get one...

The Treo works fine for me. If I wanted the best phone in the world I'd get a phone not a convergence device. Same with this MP3 rant (enjoy your iPod and stop crying) that does not at all support the statement "Music lovers. Say goodbye to mp3 playback on your Treo".

Treo hating and using misleading titles for eyeballs. Could this MS plant be any more obvious?
    Last edited by darnell; 07/22/2005 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    ...need for a true convergence device.
    The very nature of a convergance device is that it does many things MODERATELY well.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Yeah, if you've been using the Palm1 adapter, it's your own fault! >
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I can go away for months, come back and juice is still complaining. When are you going to dump the Treo and get a PPC? You've even got it in your avatar. This thread is more appropriate for the Multimedia forum, but anyway.

Another day, another complaint about the Treo from the guy who is a closet PPC fan . But he won't just dump the Treo and go get one...

The Treo works fine for me. If I wanted the best phone in the world I'd get a phone not a convergence device. Same with this MP3 rant (enjoy your iPod and stop crying) that does not at all support the statement "Music lovers. Say goodbye to mp3 playback on your Treo".

Treo hating and using misleading titles for eyeballs. Could this MS plant be any more obvious?
    Well said.
    The 2.5mm jack truely is awful. I've used a stereo corded headset / phone thing from Palm and the sound now hardly works at all.

I've considered buying the Seideo docking station which uses the hot sync connector to have a 3.5mm jack on it (at least for driving in the car).

But when it worked it was he best MP3 / Audio Book / Phone / PDA combo out there, now... I'm taking it back to Sprint to get a replacement... again.
    I can think of a lot more important things to worry about, somehow. Besides, if you're really removing the 2.5mm plu often enough to wear out the jack, the same thing would happen if it were a 3.5mm jack. You'd still be removing it and replacing it just as often.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I use the combo stereo phone/music headset from palm with my Treo & it works great. No jack issues and music sounds great, as does having phone calls in both ears.

Love it & love PocketTunes.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast