Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ok, so I work for Radioshack, AND own a Treo. Here's the problem with our adapter. It is long, rigid, and heavy. Therefore, it puts a tremendous amount of strain on your headset jack. Having said that, it will NOT affect your jack, in my opinion, if the Treo is stationary, and you take care to lessen the strain on the jack. For example, I use that adapter in conjunction with some Sony iPod headphones (cat# 33.1233) that I got from RS and I've been very pleased with my results, but I sit my Treo still, even going so far as to put it upside down in the cupholder on this last trip, to minimize strain from the adapter. The one pictured above is DEFINITELY ideal, but ours will do in a pinch. Also, you could do as another poster suggested and come in and get a replacement connector to put on the end of your headphones, but that requires a certain level of skill with a soldering iron, and no offense, but I see less and less customers each year that actually have that skill, and none of the ones I've encountered carry a Treo.
    I'm currently out of town, but I do have one other idea that I think may work using a Radioshack product, but I've got to get back to my store to test it, and this coming week is shaping up to be a hectic one, so it may be a few days before I can post whether or not my idea works.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    ...and the title to this thread? It wasn't "mis-leading". It was a bold faced lie.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Ummm...yeah...it's a PHONE.

Buy 2.5 mm headphones if it's such a big deal. 2.5mm is the STANDARD for phone headsets.

If Palm had put a 3.5 mm jack, you would all be complaining you couldn't use your favorite headset and that you had to buy a special one from Palm.

If you think a converged device is going to do everything as well as standalone devices...you are heading for the town of disapointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    Ummm...yeah...it's a PHONE.

Buy 2.5 mm headphones if it's such a big deal. 2.5mm is the STANDARD for phone headsets.

If Palm had put a 3.5 mm jack, you would all be complaining you couldn't use your favorite headset and that you had to buy a special one from Palm.

If you think a converged device is going to do everything as well as standalone devices...you are heading for the town of disapointment.
    ok, so what is the size of the TREO jack without an adapter? i assumed it was 2.5. it must be smaller then (1.5?mm) ? i know i need to use an adapter with my treo 650 for either my Bose QC2 headphones or my Sony ear buds. if they are both 2.5 then, that is what i meant to say earlier above. i guess 3.5 is really big.

the point is that the default jack the treo does have is too tiny and and is silly to be located at the bottom of the phone. Since SD cards are dropping in price, the capacity of how much music you can carry will increase as well which goes to say it will be used more and more as music player by people. so in the next treo. i hope it has a 2.5 jack and that it is located on the top.

i haven't ever tried a bluetooth headset myself, but i assume that if you had a BT stereo headphone set (intended for listening to music and not 2-way conversation)you would have a noticable loss of audio quality for music compared to a good wired set like my BOSE qc2 headphones which cost $300. But if they had a 2.5 standard jack, a person could easliy use a set of quality wired headpones or ear buds, and for the folks that just wanted good sound for voicevoice, they could wireless with a BT headset. This way both folks would be happy. because it is a TREO (for phone, communicator, and PDA) and not just a phone....
    Last edited by southbound747; 07/24/2005 at 06:21 AM.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    What is with the rediculously inflamatary thread title?

So, YOU have a MINOR problem and now no one can listen to MP3s on their Treo anymore?

I use the Palmone Hybrid Headset so I don't need an adapter. I have no problems at all and can answer the phone on my headphones. The Treo is MUCH better than a dedicated MP3 player for Me, because of this.

If you got a problem then it is just that, Your Problem. The Treo is great for me.
    How good is the hybrid headset compared to a quality set of earbuds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    All you need is a Seido 2-in-1 adaptor (lets you talk and listen on a standard headset.)

I use the 2-In1 Headphones. 2.5 mm plug and a mic. The were $35 fromTreocentral.
    And don't forget the Palm Stereo/Telephone headset--$13 from buy.com, with free shipping on orders of $25 or more (I bought two):

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90143853

Sound is fine, and I'm a somewhat (only somewhat) discriminating listener, though I have NOT run any comparisons. And you can answer and initiate calls, etc., as discussed with the other stereo telephony headsets.

P.S. The one thing I really don't like: no case. A wind-up-style case is a huge plus (for organization and longevity), but they don't have one.
    Last edited by JohnRylander; 07/24/2005 at 01:16 PM. Reason: stereo/telephone clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    How good is the hybrid headset compared to a quality set of earbuds?
    They are great because of the ability to answer while listening to MP3s without having to pull out the Treo. I really really like having that ability.

In terms of audio quality they are very good, to my ears. I personally don't notice a difference from earbuds on my dedicated MP3 player (which I don't use anymore). I don't have the most sensitive ears though.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    ok, so what is the size of the TREO jack without an adapter? i assumed it was 2.5. it must be smaller then (1.5?mm) ? i know i need to use an adapter with my treo 650 for either my Bose QC2 headphones or my Sony ear buds. if they are both 2.5 then, that is what i meant to say earlier above. i guess 3.5 is really big.....
    The Treo is 2.5mm

The standard for phones is 2.5mm

The standards for most music devices is 3.5mm

I would just like to say, again, I am very glad Palm put a 2.5mm jack on the Treo I wouldn't want it any other way.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    I guess I'm totally not getting this thread... Why is everyone so upset about the 2.5 mm jack? The jack isn't the problem here... The problem is that it's not soldered particurally well. It simply isn't soldered securely enough to handle the increased stress from the L Adapter and the RadioShack Adapter.

Now the ranting on why they didn't include a 3.5mm jack puzzles me too. It's pretty obvious that the vast majority of treo users are going to use headset with a 2.5mm jack waaaay more than DAP earphones.

I think the only complaint here is that palm1 did a crumby job soldering the 2.5 jack. There are some threads floating around here where some enterprising users opened their treo and resoldered the broken cold solder joints. The jack itself is perfectly fine.

-BT
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotmedic
    Does anybody know if these Sony headphones come with a 2.5mm jack or a 3.5 mm jack?

MDR-EX81LP/B

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...2fB&Dept=audio
    They're 2,5 mm so they fit the Treo. Before that I hade the Seido ones and they're also really good (I ruined them myself...). If possible I would like to combine them as the Sony Ericsson headset has the micorphone on the left ear cord and on the Seido you can control the volum.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure that these Sony headphones are 3.5mm.

http://inktomi-cnet.com.com/Sony_Ste...derby=90&sort=

If they were 2.5mm and could be confirmed, I'd pick them up ASAP. I have the bud model of these and they are so comfortable. I had the palm OEM hybrids, but earbuds were huge. They didn't fit in my ears.

Any other suggestions for native 2.5mm jack stereo headphones?

I've returned 2 Treo650's because the jack wore out. The Sprint store said I may be causing the problem, but when I showed them the OEM L adapter that I bought from Palm, they conceded it was a poor design.
    Palm and Seido sell 2.5mm headphones. If there is a really a set (of 3.5) you like...I am sure there are a lot of people out there who could easily solder a 2.5 jack onto the end.
    Originally Posted by pilotmedic
    Does anybody know if these Sony headphones come with a 2.5mm jack or a 3.5 mm jack?

MDR-EX81LP/B

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...%2fB&Dept=audio
    They're definitely 3.5mm, because I have a pair right in front of me right now (in white)!

You should buy them anyway as they're the most comfortable in-ear headphones I've ever owned. They even block a lot of outside noise too.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    damn... I was LO~V~ING my 650's sound on the STOCK dweeby headphones supplied with it (and I am a record producer) ..

And DID give my wife my Ipod because of that....!!!!

Are there any blue tooth STEREO headphone that look & sound OK?

Or have I missed the point?
    It's easy for you guys to go into a store and buy a stereo adapter for Treo 650.
    In my case is TOO MUCH complicated, because I live here in Brasil and THERE IS NO adapter, believe me. I triede to use an ordinary one but it seems there is some kind of trick... I don't know.
    Could anyone help me here?
    Some kind of instruction to make this adapter on my own.

BIG thanks!!!
    Note that true music lovers would never play mp3s anyway...not audiophile when you miss out on the good highs and lows....
    I had the palm adapter (large L shape) after a while it broke
    I had the seido adapter (small L shape w/wire) after a while it broke

Right now, im using this other wired adapter. the wire is thicker and sturdier then seido and the female jack has a slimmer sleeker profile than the seido.

Located here:
    http://pc-mobile.net/tr2j3.jpg
    From this site:
    http://pc-mobile.net/treo600.htm

Regular, hybrid earphones sound horrible especially if your used to the sound that comes out of "in-ear" style earphones, such as the sony mdr-ex71sl this has a small L shaped 3.5mm jack at the end. But its weird to use the wired adapter and connect another small L shaped 3.5mm plug into that... just a total mess

There is a solution to SPLICE the sony mdr-ex71sl into the palm hybrid set. thus having the best of both worlds... An in-ear head phone with the capability to answer calls, all with a 2.5mm jack. BUT. i havent tried it. and i dont know if it works on the palm branded hybrid set.

BUT it does work with a pocket pc:
    http://65.36.133.132/images/xda-IIs-headset.jpg

Located on this thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=1

But with this said
    I did eventually end up buyin a pair of etymotics er6i's, which by the way, are amazing.

er6i
    http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

They are kinda pricey but are on sale on amazon. there is no way im going to cut these up just to splice them to a cheap hybrid set. they are way to good for that and i use them on other devices. one thing nice about it tho, is it has a straight "non-L" 3.5mm jack so it works elegantly with the wired adapter.

Ive had 3 generations of ipods, including mini. which i used primarily on my train ride(s) commute to work in manhattan. my treo has replaced my ipod in this sense. now i dont have to carry 2 devices (phone and ipod, too bulky) 2gb sd cards are out and they are worth it. and i can log on to AIM, check email, listen to mp3s, or watch tom and jerry, all on my phone, all on the train.

im not going back to ipod for my commute anytime soon.. even tho ive been an apple fan for years (use em at school/work (design field)) but with that said i can see how a dedicated mp3 player such as ipod may be a better solution for ppl who wanna use it in other situations like a plane ride, park, beach etc.. or other places where you dont have to carry many devices.

I am still interested to see if anyone has attempted to splice sony earphones into the palm hybrid set..

Ive posted a thread before but no one has replied.
    I'm so glad I read this thread. My girlfriend bought me a pair of Technics RP-DH1200 headphones for our anniversary, and only two days ago I bought the standard 2" long radioshack adapter to start using them with my Treo. Together, the headphone jack and the adapter are freaking huge. The first day went ok, but today I noticed the adapter was popping out of the jack in my pocket and making static upon reinsertion (yikes!). For almost 4 months straight I have used the standard mono earpiece/microphone that came with Treo. I've used TCPMP (music player app) to join the mono signal and aside from the lack of sonic clarity it worked great. I've never had static up till now.

I can totally see how too much pressure can cause a big problem, so I'm going to start using my old earpiece again and send away for a stereo hybrid set in the mail that puts a lot less stress on the jack.

thanks for the wakeup call fellas!
    I use the Seidio 2n1 stereo headset and love it. Volume control, mute, and headphone mic built right in, 2.5mm L shaped plug. . . .

http://store.treocentral.com/content...73-74--264.htm

(They also have the same set w/ a retractable cord.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/28/2005 at 01:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I agree topic title should be changed!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast