Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I would LOVE a perfect converged device that did "IT" all for me and NEVER wore out. But this is the real world and it ain't gonna happen.

As you enter and leave your house everyday, the key you use to lock/unlock that door will wear out also after time and use. And as Meyerweb pointed out, even if it were a 3.5mm or a 500mm jack, size won’t matter. It will still wear out plugging and unplugging.

Use your iPod for MP3 playback or find another way to make it work on your Treo. It’s called innovation, you see a need for that so exploit it and find a way. Complaining about the problem will not fix it.

I'm not saying I disagree with your statement, and sure I would love a bluetooth wireless headset to listen and talk through, but sometimes you get a bullseye and most times you get close. Palm is not perfect and no company is going to ever achieve that so if you purchased a Treo 650 like we all here did, go enjoy the benefits it provides and deal with its shortcomings or find a solution that better fits what you need.

I fail to see how this thread relates to “Say goodbye to MP3 Playback on my Treo”. It sounds more like a complaint to Palm, try these guys for this thread: http://www.palm.com/us/company/corporate/executive.html
    Palm V -> Pocket PC -> Treo 650 GSM
    ----------------- ^
    Slipped to the "Dark Side" for a while, But I'm back
    No kidding. I didn't lay down a good chunk of change on a device for me to stay in touch with the world only to rant and rave because I can't use it primarily as an entertainment device.

While it's "nice" to be able to listen to music on it, it surely wasn't its primary design feature.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Just got these and it's pretty frustrating not being able to test them out immediately with my Treo.

With the bluetooth functionality of the Treo you would think Palm would focus on promoting that as the headset of choice.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Yes, I originally bought a 2" long Radio Shack adapter and I think it placed too much pressure on the 2.5mm jack of my Treo 600. Next I thought I'd be "good" and buy a PalmOne adapter (but it seems to be causing similar problems). When I started reading this thread, this picture (or bluetoot on a T650) is what came into my head as the solution.

HEY PALM. STOP MAKING THAT STUPID L-SHAPED ADAPTER AND TRY SELLING ONE LIKE THIS ONE. BE SURE TO DESTROY THE L-SHAPED ADAPTERS!!! (You may find that the reduced cost of warranty repairs more than makes up for any disposal costs on your current inventory!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    ... as Meyerweb pointed out, even if it were a 3.5mm or a 500mm jack, size won’t matter. ...
    Waiting for a smart-*** comment from Insertion!
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    ... So if they were going for the phone as the primary use it makes sense for them to include the jack for a standard wired headset.
    But since it doesn't work with "standard" (generic2.5 mm headsets like the ones Sprint sells in the store) headsets, they might as well put a 3.5 mm jack in. Sine people don't complain about the jack in their IPOD wearing out, the could use such a jack and avoid this problem.
    Nrosser

Give us the details - what is the make, model & where did you get it. I tried to buy one (was actually for the O2 Mini XDA) so the headphones work fine but the mic & button don't - it was a long shot I know. On that one - if you count the metalic bands on the jack it has 4 while the Treo has three. I'm still looking for a handfree stereo headphone from somewhere. (I'm in Australia so shipping can be expensive)
  8. wst
    Get the stereo headphone from Sony Ericsson for P800/900 with 2.5mm jack. It has a mike and answer button which works with my Treo 650 GSM unlock(Firmware: 1.28, Software: Treo650-1.13-ROW).

The above also works with O2 Mini and actually got this tip from - http://www.spug.net/showthread.php?t=67786.

Managed to buy one from Singapore's Sony Ericsson Service Center at Wisma Atria in Orchard Road. Costs S$26.25 - MUCH MUCH cheaper than Palm's Treo 650 and O2 Mini's stereo headset. Must say the sound is much better(though treble is slightly masked but bass is decent) and using RealPlayer the volume usually don't have to go above 40%.
    Last edited by wst; 07/23/2005 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    You need this:
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...12-45--337.htm
    http://store.treocentral.com/store_i.../large/337.jpg

Those godforsaken radio shack adapters are destroying more treos than I can count. Just puts too much stress on the jack. I'm on my second treo because of that. The adapter above puts virtually no stress on the unit.

-BT
    When you say it puts too much stress on the unit, what does that mean? I purchased one from Radio Shack but am afraid to use it now. Is it becuase it is long and rigid? Thanks.
    The Seido unit looks effective, but the compaint is size and durability. Agree a two-part solution sucks. What I got at Radio Shack is a 2.5 connector (not adapter), right angle, made to attach wires to. So just cut off the old one, put on the new one, and you have a mechanical match without an adapter.
    Mike Caldwell
    Quote Originally Posted by wst
    Get the stereo headphone from Sony Ericsson for P800/900 with 2.5mm jack. It has a mike and answer button which works with my Treo 650 GSM unlock(Firmware: 1.28, Software: Treo650-1.13-ROW).

The above also works with O2 Mini and actually got this tip from - http://www.spug.net/showthread.php?t=67786.

Managed to buy one from Singapore's Sony Ericsson Service Center at Wisma Atria in Orchard Road. Costs S$26.25 - MUCH MUCH cheaper than Palm's Treo 650 and O2 Mini's stereo headset. Must say the sound is much better(though treble is slightly masked but bass is decent) and using RealPlayer the volume usually don't have to go above 40%.
    This looks like the best option IMHO. . .
    Maybe I'm confused, but how does and adapter make the Treo jack "bigger and more flimsy"? The end that goes in the Treo is the same size as a headset jack that goes in the Treo - it doesn't "expand" the Treo jack or anything... Maybe I just don't understand the issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by wst

So where is this place - does anybody have a contact number?

is this place a better place to go? - http://www.globalmob.com/store/produ...0&cat=0&page=1
    Does anybody know if these Sony headphones come with a 2.5mm jack or a 3.5 mm jack?

MDR-EX81LP/B

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...2fB&Dept=audio
    heres my 2 cents: I was a loyal palm IIIx and palm m505 fan until i was introduced to a dell axim pocket pc. First the axim x5 then x3 then of course the x30 and finally the x50v. I bought the treo 650 over the ppc6600 because of what i read in this and other forums regarding battery life. I never expected the treo to replace my axim x50v since i just subscribed to the new yahoo music unlimited service and loaded 500 songs on the 2 gig sd card. All for 59 dollars per year. I then discovered that windows media audio files can be played on the treo using pocket tunes. Today i was stunned to see the newest version of pocket tunes works with the subcription music services including yahoo music. I am in the process of transferring 600 tunes to the treo and without the fear of the RIAA sending a hitman to my home. I use the 2.95 radio shack adapter and it sounds good to me. But it is loose and will come loose easily.
  16. wst
    Or 2 piece solution - 2.5mm jack(male) plugs into Treo 650 and a 3.5mm jack(female) where you can plug in your preferred standard earphones. On top of the mic, answer button and volume control but no idea if it works with Treo 650 since I went for Sony Ericsson's P800/900 stereo headphone.

http://www.pc-mobile.net/sp8aa.htm

I also own a Sony MDR-EX71 which I think is the best sound earbuds I ever had and have been looking around solutions with mic & answer button to use with my Treo 650. But the price to buy and ship it(Seidio 2 in 1 & SP8AA) to me usually puts me off.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmike
    The Seido unit looks effective, but the compaint is size and durability. Agree a two-part solution sucks. What I got at Radio Shack is a 2.5 connector (not adapter), right angle, made to attach wires to. So just cut off the old one, put on the new one, and you have a mechanical match without an adapter.
    post a pic.

and I'm not complaining I'm upset. I had a lot of expectations on that 2.5 jack... But I'll just carry around two devices. No biggie... YES IT IS!!!

And I've taken my connection out of my IPOD over a thousand times and it still feels tight and sounds good. Mind you, I've only owned my Treo for 3 months and it already busted.
    What is with the rediculously inflamatary thread title?

So, YOU have a MINOR problem and now no one can listen to MP3s on their Treo anymore?

I use the Palmone Hybrid Headset so I don't need an adapter. I have no problems at all and can answer the phone on my headphones. The Treo is MUCH better than a dedicated MP3 player for Me, because of this.

If you got a problem then it is just that, Your Problem. The Treo is great for me.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    what would be nice is whatever jack they use on the next model treo (i peronally hope it is the 3.5 myself) they should move it to the top of the phone rather than the bottom. whether you listen with it hooked on your belt, or in a shirt pocket, as i do. a jack on the top of the phone is a lot more sensible.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    How do I quote on my Treo?

Anyways ya, that is a great idea (but, with a 2.5mm connector).
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast