Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I am starting to use Skype, but I was wondering whether I could use my Treo as my Skype headset. I am not looking to communicate via Skype on my Palm, simply looking to use the Bluetooth communication on my Palm to connect to my computer running Skype.

    I am pretty new to Bluetooth, so any advice would be helpful. And if this is been discusssed before, I would appreciate pointers to the prior threads. Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  
    OMG...That's an incredible idea!!!

    I've heard of people using actual bluetooth headsets for skype purposes...but never thought of using the Treo as a headset.

    If anybody has done this or heard of somebody else doing this, I think I've heard it all when it comes to this phone. This is certainly my missing link and I'm sure it'd be useful for just about everybody. BLUETOOTH, BABY!!!
  3. #3  
    I know I saw something recently released that does this for Vonage, but I haven't heard of anything from skype. Maybe someone here can post a link to that thread.

    Edit:
    Here's the thread-
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=vonage
    Last edited by BIGtrouble77; 07/21/2005 at 02:11 PM.
  4.    #4  
    BIGtrouble77, that's a very intersting device, but I don't think it is for VoIP. This PhoneLabs device seems like a way to use your home phones as 'extensions' for your docked mobile phone. I'm looking for a way to use my Treo as an extension of my Skype call on my computer.

    However, what this means is that there are many permutations of master/slave receivers. Very interesting!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gglockner
    BIGtrouble77, that's a very intersting device, but I don't think it is for VoIP. This PhoneLabs device seems like a way to use your home phones as 'extensions' for your docked mobile phone. I'm looking for a way to use my Treo as an extension of my Skype call on my computer.

    However, what this means is that there are many permutations of master/slave receivers. Very interesting!
    Your right, I got it backwards. sorry.
  6. #6  
    From what I can tell about BT, each devices supports operating via a number of different profiles. I don't think there would be much reason for Palm to include in the Treo profile the ability to act as a BT headset.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    From what I can tell about BT, each devices supports operating via a number of different profiles. I don't think there would be much reason for Palm to include in the Treo profile the ability to act as a BT headset.
    JEFF!!!! SHADOWMITE!!! Where are you guys??
  8. #8  
    Think about it...you can make an unlimited number of free phone calls when your phone is within 600 feet of your desktop/laptop (whether it be at work or home)!!!

    Beautiful! I really wish we could add bluetooth profiles to this phone.

    How many people would be interested in something like this?? I'd be willing to pay at least $50 for this!!!
  9. #9  
    As nice as this sounds, I really doubt it is possible with the current hardware </buzzkill> Even if somebody were to write the software to encode / decode the speaker and mic sounds and route them through software, in order for this entire thing to work the Treo must advertize itself over bluetooth as supporting the headset profile. This, I believe is a feature of the silicon, and not a piece of software that anybody can write or hack. Sorry. Could be wrong, and hope I am.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    As nice as this sounds, I really doubt it is possible with the current hardware </buzzkill>
    Can anybody else confirm or deny this statment??

    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Even if somebody were to write the software to encode / decode the speaker and mic sounds and route them through software, in order for this entire thing to work the Treo must advertize itself over bluetooth as supporting the headset profile.
    Bluetooth headsets aren't that complicated are they?? Hmm...I guess you might be right. It just seems that if you can use a regular bluetooth headset with skype...that you should be able to use this bad-arse phone with skype, also!! Could there really be more to it than adding a headset's profile??

    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    This, I believe is a feature of the silicon, and not a piece of software that anybody can write or hack. Sorry. Could be wrong, and hope I am.
    I hope so too.
  11. dguy's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    #11  
    This is a great idea (and one which coincidentally just occured to me!) but I can't see anything that gets close. Has anyone seen anything emerge since this thread started???

    thanks for any tips
  12. #12  
    I haven't seen anything like this yet, but I would like to recant my prior "burned in silicon" statement. You see, I thought the same thing about A2DP before Softick came out with it. So, who knows.
  13. #13  
    If we had this feature, it would allow the rather odd possibility of using a Treo as a headset (to take calls, etc.) for another Treo.
  14. dguy's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    #14  
    hmm calroth... interesting point. Are you suggesting treo-jacking?
  15. dguy's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    #15  
    Coming back to this, something even better popped into my head as I played with Salling Clicker. If those guys could include a Skype client as part of Clicker and get the treo to work as a BT headset, it would make every Treo into a Skype-enabled handset from which you could also initiate/receive calls - no need to buy a skype handset at home and it would be great on the road.

    There may be a technical barrier to performing both the Clicker functions and the audio simultaneously via BT but if that were the case, the Clicker could disconnect once the call has been initiated? Anyway, if anyone else out there is interested in this, drop a note to Salling (http://www.salling.com/contact/) and suggest they look at it.
  16. #16  
    I did some work on Skype with Salling Clicker a while back; it's not a terribly difficult problem. I decided not to take the time to work on it beyond an initial proof-of-concept, but there are some design notes (and the proof-of-concept software) that someone may find useful:
    http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3718

    As for the Bluetooth integration, I have no idea how to proceed. I suspect that the Softick folks have the necessary expertise. But I don't know if there's sufficient market for something like this to justify Softick's effort.

Posting Permissions