1.    #1  
    I've been lurking around TC for a while now, and so far have never owned a Treo, but 3 Palms of other sorts. I think now is a good and hopefully cheap time to try them out. I've heard good things about Treos for the longest time, and now it looks like the 600s are reasonably priced. What sort of things should I look for or ask about to make sure I don't get a unit from a bum batch or something like that. Is there anything I should keep an eye out for that's better or worse than the norm? Thanks.

EDIT: Anyone? I'd hope the re-worded title would help...
    Last edited by djfusion; 07/21/2005 at 10:03 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Anyone care to help?
    What carrier 600 are you looking at buying. GSM or CDMA? If you look around here on the boards, you will see many different opinions as far what to look for. Me personally did extensive research on the features and problems with the T600 before purchasing. One critical mistake you must not make is buy a CDMA T600 if you are looking for a GSM model (and the same vice versa). And if you are looking for a CDMA model, make sure before you purchase that the phones ESN can be setup on your carrier.
    You never lived until you almost died!
  4.    #4  
    I know the difference between GSM and CDMA (myself using the former) and whatnot. My concern was to various hardware revisions, build dates, brandings (Palm vs Handspring) etc.
  5.    #5  
    Oh yeah, I was going to buy a GSM unlocked, branded or unbranded, model as cheaply as possible without having to renew my Cingular contract.
    Hi - Read my posting - Are you more interested in tracking Daytimer type events (calendar, To Do, ) or are you more interested in hooking up to the Web and email? If the latter is your preference you may want to check out the Blackberries but they have special GSM rates. My experience with Treos is they start the prices high but lower them quickly if the product has defects. PalmOne is extremely difficult to deal with - very non-caring attitude - buyer beware sort of thing. If the unit is gone and not in warranty you pay through the nose. If it is in warranty and the unit is non-functioning then they will send you another Treo - but it is always a refurbished model and I've had refurbished models sent to me that didn't even work.
    Handspring does not own Treos anymore. They sold out to PalmOne which is a psuedonym for Palm. In fact, PalmOne is changing their name to Palm. One in the same.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djfusion
    I've been lurking around TC for a while now, and so far have never owned a Treo, but 3 Palms of other sorts. I think now is a good and hopefully cheap time to try them out. I've heard good things about Treos for the longest time, and now it looks like the 600s are reasonably priced. What sort of things should I look for or ask about to make sure I don't get a unit from a bum batch or something like that. Is there anything I should keep an eye out for that's better or worse than the norm? Thanks.

EDIT: Anyone? I'd hope the re-worded title would help...
    Get a Treo 650. They are $179 now from some places.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Get a Treo 650. They are $179 now from some places.
    I have seen numerous advertisements and posts about this, but people fail to realize the loopholes one must go thru to obtain a T650. Signing 2+year contracts and selecting a high price media/internet package is just not worth it IMO. And thats not even the half of it! You better read that fine print just in case you want to back out or close the account. By the time its all said and done, someone would have spent well over the phone is worth!
    You never lived until you almost died!
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMike
    I have seen numerous advertisements and posts about this, but people fail to realize the loopholes one must go thru to obtain a T650. Signing 2+year contracts and selecting a high price media/internet package is just not worth it IMO. And thats not even the half of it! You better read that fine print just in case you want to back out or close the account. By the time its all said and done, someone would have spent well over the phone is worth!
    That's true. $179 is a scam, also if your account doesn't stand good for 6 months, then you will be charge the full price of the 650, automatically, no need any approvement from you.

YES. Again, READ ALL the FINE PRINT before you buy.