Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    does any1 have this GPS set up for treo 650? http://promosearch.palmone.com/searc...ducts&sp-q=GPS how much is it and is it good? what are the features does it have?
    ...is it as good as streets and trips?
    I'm not using that setup, but I do use Tom Tom Navigator 5 which works ok for me
    Now that i'm over the novelty of the 3d perspective view of the TomTom gps software I have to say it not that good. The interface is great, very easy to use, but it really suffers from lack of features and poor map data.

I was driving around wilmington last month and the stupid thing kept telling me to go the wrong way down one way streets. I also noticed that a good portion of the map data is inaccurate, at least here in NJ.

The Delorme software is even worse. Your position does not snap to the roads(so you float all over the place) and it's terrible for doing driving direction (does not auto calculate routes.)

As far as the GPS units go, I have something very specific that I want and maybe someone can suggest something...

I want a bluetooth GPS unit that:
    - has a replacable battery (so I can take it out when the unit is fastened to the dash in the car so it doesn't over heat)
    - Automatically powers up and establishes a link when it's powered via the AC connection (so it automatically powers up when I turn on the car)
    - Has logging capabilities
    - Is reasonably small so I can keep it in my pocket

My Delorme GPS sucks. It's cheaply made, it doesn't turn on easily all the time, the batter cover broke the first day, some days it takes like 5 minutes to establish a link.
    Try 'Handmap' ... http://www.handmap.net/ ... I've used it for a long time. It's cheap, it works well. It doesn't tell you what route to follow --- but I normally figure that out for myself. Handmap works with lots of GPS units. There's quite a few bluetooth units out there for the treo.

That one you linked up above looks like the GPS I have for my Palm IIIc. I don't think it works with the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    Now that i'm over the novelty of the 3d perspective view of the TomTom gps software I have to say it not that good. The interface is great, very easy to use, but it really suffers from lack of features and poor map data.

I was driving around wilmington last month and the stupid thing kept telling me to go the wrong way down one way streets. I also noticed that a good portion of the map data is inaccurate, at least here in NJ.

The Delorme software is even worse. Your position does not snap to the roads(so you float all over the place) and it's terrible for doing driving direction (does not auto calculate routes.)

As far as the GPS units go, I have something very specific that I want and maybe someone can suggest something...

I want a bluetooth GPS unit that:
    - has a replacable battery (so I can take it out when the unit is fastened to the dash in the car so it doesn't over heat)
    - Automatically powers up and establishes a link when it's powered via the AC connection (so it automatically powers up when I turn on the car)
    - Has logging capabilities
    - Is reasonably small so I can keep it in my pocket

My Delorme GPS sucks. It's cheaply made, it doesn't turn on easily all the time, the batter cover broke the first day, some days it takes like 5 minutes to establish a link.
    I have had my Delorme BlueLogger for about 6 or 7 months and it works like a champ. Push the button throw it on the dash and it finds satellite position. I agree the Street Atlas software has a little to be desired. But, as cheap as the Blue Logger feels, I have had zero problems with it. It has traveled with me for around 10,000 miles and at least a dozen different vehicles, including my bike for an 1600 mile trip.
    Browse the Bluetooth forum since that's where most people post regarding GPS and navigation.

TomTom Navigator works great for me and seems to be the best out there in terms of visual display and usability. Their map data is no different than other navigation outfits since they all buy the same data. However, the new TomTom Navigator 5 has newer maps than Navigator 2004 and should be a major improvement in this regard.
    That one you linked up above looks like the GPS I have for my Palm IIIc. I don't think it works with the treo.
    Hey - I have that one too! It's the only reason I kept my IIIc. What mapping software did you use?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Take a look at the Mapopolis NavCard. It contains the entire US on an SD card and has the latest NavTeq data. You can literally navigate from coast to coast on the Treo. www.mapopolis.com

I have a review of it on www.gpspassion.com It's a neat program.
    www.gpspassion.com
    Associate Writer, PalmAddict
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I have had my Delorme BlueLogger for about 6 or 7 months and it works like a champ. Push the button throw it on the dash and it finds satellite position. I agree the Street Atlas software has a little to be desired. But, as cheap as the Blue Logger feels, I have had zero problems with it. It has traveled with me for around 10,000 miles and at least a dozen different vehicles, including my bike for an 1600 mile trip.
    John, have you every tried to power it up without the battery in the car? I have the hardest time getting it working. I usually have to take the power connector out, put it back in then fidget with the button for a few minutes until the blue light starts blinking. Once it gets going it's great, but it's such a pain to get there. Maybe I have a defective power adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    Browse the Bluetooth forum since that's where most people post regarding GPS and navigation.

TomTom Navigator works great for me and seems to be the best out there in terms of visual display and usability. Their map data is no different than other navigation outfits since they all buy the same data. However, the new TomTom Navigator 5 has newer maps than Navigator 2004 and should be a major improvement in this regard.
    Delorme's Street Atlas 2005 has waaaay better map data. I think they generate their own maps.
    John, have you every tried to power it up without the battery in the car? I have the hardest time getting it working. I usually have to take the power connector out, put it back in then fidget with the button for a few minutes until the blue light starts blinking. Once it gets going it's great, but it's such a pain to get there. Maybe I have a defective power adapter.
    No, I can't say I have used the BlueLogger without the battery and just using the power adapter. I keep the battery in and let it charge so when I get to where ever I can use the GPS with the battery. For the fun of it, I put it in my pocket and just log where I go during the day. I have used it to log mileage for reimbursement as well.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Delorme's Street Atlas 2005 has waaaay better map data. I think they generate their own maps.

Where can I buy this item please?
    Quote Originally Posted by alfred44
    Well, I wouldn't exactly recomment it, especially the PDA version. Street Atlas 2005 is designed mostly for laptops. I found that a combination of Street Atlas 2005 and Topo 5 (both running at the same time) is really useful.
    I use SA2005 for tracking and directions while I use Topo for viewing the topographical maps. Unfortunately, the bluelogger gps cannot connect to both programs at the same time, but the usb delorme gps can.

The main problem with Topo and sf2005 is that they still use a pretty archaic interface that's not very intuitive. For some unknown reason Delorme does not snap your gps arrow to the roads like every other gps package does so you very often float off the road.

sa2005 mobile uses the same map data, which is pretty good, but the rest of the application is horrible to the point of being nearly useless.

Google Earth may be the new killer GPS app for laptops. The beta is absolutely amazing, although it's still missing some key features. It's gonna need a little while to mature.

You can go to http://www.delorme.com for more info.

-BT
    Quote Originally Posted by alfred44
    I'm not sure if the comment regarding better data relates to TomTom Navigator 5, which has newer map data than TomTom Navigator 2004. In any event, my understanding is that Delorme is not suitable for navigation, doesn't reroute, does not always relate the car to a street as it moves, etc.

So, it depends what your using it for...
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    However, the new TomTom Navigator 5 has newer maps than Navigator 2004 and should be a major improvement in this regard.
    Where can I purchase Navigator 5? I've been going to their website for months now, and it always says that version 5 is "available soon".
    I got my TomTom Nav 5 last week from TigerGPS.com. Other posters have said they are available at Fry's electornics as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I got my TomTom Nav 5 last week from TigerGPS.com. Other posters have said they are available at Fry's electornics as well.
    How is it? The screenshots (that I saw) on the site are from TomTom2004.
    I heard a while back that there would be support for traffic data, can you confirm that?

-BT
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I have Nav. 5. Tiger GPS lies about "in stock" status, but they get it eventually. Only took me two weeks from order to get it by "in-stock same day shipping" but it works.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to work well. Here are the problems I've had so far:

1) As soon as TomTom doesn't have an address, it puts you at your "home" location. With no GPS signal, you really can't use it for much (finding nearby stores, directions (unless you can type in your location) etc..)
    2) It doesn't predictably tell you when to turn, and it doesn't tell you the next street to turn onto. Most of the time, it's telling you the street you're on. It never reads the highway numbers to you.
    3) It does not do exit numbers on the highway, only what road to exit onto. Ugh.
    4) Traffic and other pay-for-use services are not available yet, but will be "soon" just as nav 5 was available "soon."
    Actually, I used TTNav5 for a trip to Santa Cruz last weekend and managed to navigate to several locations without much difficulty. As for the TigerGPS site, I requested 2nd day delivery on a Saturday and it arrived the following Tuesday. The 4 points that Feivel makes are basicly correct but there are a lot of plus features and a few work arounds.
    1) there is a separate program that extracts addresses from your contacts list so you can map or navigate to them (it's a bit annoying that you can't access them directly but it's manageable). You can browse the map without a GPS signal and you can find POIs or addresses as well.
    2) turn directions could use a bit more notice but they seemed to be reasonably accurate and clearly stated. They do seem to vary in distance from the turn (in yards) that the first advance notice is given. The 3D display makes understanding a complex turn easier that with a 2D system.
    4) some posters have indicated that traffic is already available in many areas of the US although their web site does not indicate this. I'm trying to get further details on areas and costs.

Overall, I like the TomTom system and the way it works. It's the best I've seen so far for Palm or Pocket PC devices.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 07/25/2005 at 12:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    Actually, I used TTNav5 for a trip to Santa Cruz last weekend and managed to navigate to several locations without much difficulty. As for the TigerGPS site, I requested 2nd day delivery on a Saturday and it arrived the following Tuesday. The 4 points that Feivel makes are basicly correct but there are a lot of plus features and a few work arounds.
    1) there is a separate program that extracts addresses from your contacts list so you can map or navigate to them (it's a bit annoying that you can't access them directly but it's manageable). You can browse the map without a GPS signal and you can find POIs or addresses as well.
    2) turn directions could use a bit more notice but they seemed to be reasonably accurate and clearly stated. They do seem to vary in distance from the turn (in yards) that the first advance notice is given. The 3D display makes understanding a complex turn easier that with a 2D system.
    4) some posters have indicated that traffic is already available in many areas of the US although their web site does not indicate this. I'm trying to get further details on areas and costs.

Overall, I like the TomTom system and the way it works. It's the best I've seen so far for Palm or Pocket PC devices.
    Sounds like virtually nothing changed from the 2004 release, except maybe some map data improvements. Hardly worth upgrading at this point. I'll probably upgrade when satellite imagery and traffic data are standard features.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast