1.    #1  
    Well, I called up Cingular the other day since I will be leaving the country in for awhile and wanted to take my phone with me. After about 5 minutes, I was told I "qualified" for the unlock code, and they would submit an application for me. Note that I just called the main Cingular customer support line. I'm not quite sure what qualified me, but I can say I've only been with Cingular just under 4 months, have a 2 year contract, an average bill around $100/month, and pay by EFT automatically each month.

Anyway, they took my email address as well as a home number, and I was told I'd be contacted within 5 business days. Within 24 hours I had my unlock code via e-mail. I must say, it was the most unprofessional email I've ever seen (to the point I wondered if it were real). The subject was just a 15 digit number (reference #, I presume), and the text of the email stated the following (I've obviously modified the unlock number):

First then we give you warning before starting process. You have 5 tries to enter this code into your phone. If you go beyond the 5 tries your phone will not be able to be unlocked.

Treo 650
    With Cingular Chip in phone

1. Press the green Phone button
    2. Enter *#*#< 11111111>#
    3. Press Dial

I presumed, per posts I had seen here, that the '<' and '>' shouldn't be part of the unlock string, so I left it out. Anyway, when I pressed 'Dial', I got a pop up window on the Treo saying I had unlocked my SIM. I *presume* this means I have unlocked my phone?

I know everyone here seems to get extremely excited over unlocked phones; at first glance, everything looks the same on my phone. I know I can now put a different SIM card in, which was the purpose of my original call, but I would appreciate it if someone could clue me in on what other treasures or possibilities I might have unlocked?

Thanks!
    no way to tell if the code really worked unless u try a different SIM card. phone is exactly the same just accepts new carrier SIM's now. the phone will give u that same unlocked SIM message regardless of u entering a valid or incorrect code so u have to check for yourself
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    no way to tell if the code really worked unless u try a different SIM card. phone is exactly the same just accepts new carrier SIM's now. the phone will give u that same unlocked SIM message regardless of u entering a valid or incorrect code so u have to check for yourself
    So unlocking phone doesn't automatically enable Bluetooth DUN support, like it would if you have purchased a "legitimate" unlocked phone? And there's really no way to tell until I get to my destination country AND purchase a SIM card to see if my phone is really unlocked?
    do you have a friend with say a tmobile card or something like that? if you can use one of their cards then you are unlocked
  5.    #5  
    Does it have to be a SIM card out of another Treo 650, or any Tmobile phone? Thanks again for the responses!
    any Sim card.
    [tony]
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonydrone
    any Sim card.
    Well, I took the SIM card out of a friend's non-Treo 650 Tmobile phone, put it in mine, and it told me that the SIM card couldn't be used in my phone. So, does this mean my phone is definitively still locked??

Interestingly, after I made my first post I also got a call from Cingular, which quoted the same unlock number as I was given over email...
    Quote Originally Posted by quarth
    Well, I took the SIM card out of a friend's non-Treo 650 Tmobile phone, put it in mine, and it told me that the SIM card couldn't be used in my phone. So, does this mean my phone is definitively still locked??

Interestingly, after I made my first post I also got a call from Cingular, which quoted the same unlock number as I was given over email...
    Your phone is definetely still locked.

Did the Email really say "First then we give you warning before starting process. You have 5 tries to enter this code into your phone. If you go beyond the 5 tries your phone will not be able to be unlocked."?? That is rediculously bad grammar.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    Your phone is definetely still locked.

Did the Email really say "First then we give you warning before starting process. You have 5 tries to enter this code into your phone. If you go beyond the 5 tries your phone will not be able to be unlocked."?? That is rediculously bad grammar.
    Yup, I copy and pasted the email from Cingular right into here. I guess I'll call them up and ask what the heck is going on... hmm. Strange, since I got the same number both over email and on a voicemail.
    When I got my unlock code via email, it had a powerpoint presentation attached to it telling me how to input the code and the body of the message just said "please follow the above instructions"
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by misterfantastic
    When I got my unlock code via email, it had a powerpoint presentation attached to it telling me how to input the code and the body of the message just said "please follow the above instructions"
    So, I called Cingular back, and the guy just wanted to forward my unlock code request again, but I explained that they must have the wrong phone in their DB. Anyway, after some persistence on my part, he agreed to check, and sure enough, they had the wrong IMEI Number. This is my second Treo, after the first crapped out, so I presume it was never updated...

So, within 12 hours I had my new unlock code in my mailbox (same terrible grammer as before, by the way). This time, when I stuck my friend's Tmobile SIM card in, whoala! It worked. Cool stuff.. now, off to South America!

Thanks to everyone for their help!!