Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I need to go back to the previous rev of the Sprint upgrade. Since the most recent upgrade (I think 1.12) it is no longer portable as I need to carry the spare battery and chargers everywhere I go. I'm on the phone probably less than 10 minutes a day and maybe check email with snapper total of 10 min. I turn off bluetooth when not using the headset. But I'm battery is discharging totally in under 12 hrs. This pretty much screws the phones usability - don't think I've gained anything with the upgrade but am in real need of a solution.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Sounds like your upgrade to 1.12 did not go correctly or that you have a 3rd party software corruption that is keeping your internet connection open, thus draining your battery. There have been 1 or 2 lengthy threads on this.

YOU NEED TO SCRUB THE TREO CLEAN:

Hot sync to your current user id

Fully charge your battery.
    Re do the 1.12 upgrade to a temporary user id.

Once that is done, Hard reset to a clean Treo

Rename the backup folder of your current userid to Backup_old (on your PC)
    Programs>Palm> userid>backup (to backup_old)
    (this keeps your 3rd party software from coming back to the Treo)

Hot sync to your current user id.
    You should now have yor PIM data (contacts, memos, tasks, et cetera) back.
    Now manually load your 3rd party software(not a copy from a backup, but a full original load), one at a time and check for abnormal drain.

This should get you back to a clean 1.12 Treo w/o turbo battery drain.
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/21/2005 at 07:40 AM.
    +1 to Perry's comments. Try the Palm CLEAN to see if it changes anything. If the clean Palm still does this, it could be the update, or it also could be a dying battery. You say you have a spare battery so try both with a clean Treo to make sure it aint the battery.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Great thoughts Z
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/20/2005 at 11:20 PM.
    One other thought. Are you routinely in an area of very low signal strength? My wife works in an area of 0-1 bar and ever since the update, her phone will discharge within a day. It didn't do this before the update. She has started turning the radio off when she is at work. Of course that solves the problem but it also prevents her from getting any calls....
    BTW, if BlueTooth isn't discoverable, it uses negligable battery while enabled. One less thing to waste time fooling with.

Hope you get it figured out, definately sounds like something isn't right.
    I've been watching these boards since I first found out about this update, & I decided to go ahead & install it on my Sprint Treo 650 & take my chances. For the first 3-4 days I had absolutely no battery drain issues - in fact, my battery seemed improved - so I figured I had lucked out. I don't have many 3rd party programs on my Treo & am a pretty light user compared to a lot of you guys. I do like to check my email once or twice a day & take or make the occasional phone call, but other than that I mainly do boring stuff with my Treo like keep track of appointments & contact info for people/places I deal with.

Anyway, after the 4th or so day with the new firmware, I also started having these huge battery drain issues, so I started carrying a charging cord in my purse & continued following the threads to see if anyone figured out how to fix it. I don't have ANY of the 3rd party programs others have that they suggested might be causing the problem. The only thing I could think of was to pull out my SD card to see if that made any difference. Since removing it & putting the fake SD card back into the slot, I've not had any turbo drain issues. I haven't tried any other fixes, uninstall & reinstalls, etc. - just removed the SD card & put the fake back in to keep the slot clear of something getting stuck in there.

I don't remember if I had my card in or out when I installed the update. I figured I'd wait a few more days to make sure this is really making the difference on my Treo, & if so, I plan to back up my card's contents & reformat the card to see if it makes any difference or if I'll continue to have the problem.

Is it possible that the update somehow screwed up how the card works in our phones? I remember seeing someone else's post about their Treo not always recognizing their card since the update unless they pop it out & back in.....

Just my shot in the dark......
    Test a theory of mine: I think VolumeCare conflicts with something in the ROM upgrade. If you have VC, delete it.
    That's another one of those "things" I don't have on my phone!
    Wow, I don't see how, I can't hear a damn thing unless I'm in a quiet environment without VolumeCare. In my car I couldn't hear anything. Great now.
    I was also wondering about the volumecare problem. While it still sometimes drains without VC enabled, I noticed that the battery almost always drains faster with it enabled.
    Conflict with another program most likely, I see no drain with VC, my battery drain is very consistant.. About 10% during the workday pulling emails and reading them, sending and receiving a few SMS, not much talking (use phone at desk).

Are you saying it drains faster with VC period, while using the phone, etc, or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by btimms
    I need to go back to the previous rev of the Sprint upgrade. Since the most recent upgrade (I think 1.12) it is no longer portable as I need to carry the spare battery and chargers everywhere I go. I'm on the phone probably less than 10 minutes a day and maybe check email with snapper total of 10 min. I turn off bluetooth when not using the headset. But I'm battery is discharging totally in under 12 hrs. This pretty much screws the phones usability - don't think I've gained anything with the upgrade but am in real need of a solution.
    Any suggestions appreciate.
    if you have PXA clocker installed on your device, then you might want to lower the CPU speed, or disable all together , i had my processor clocked to 468mhz with the 1.08 update(sprint) , but i think after the 1.12 update my battery seems to run longer so that might be a possibility....let me know !!
    I solved my battery drain by renaming the sync folder on the PC and then hard resetting the treo. After the hard reset, I manually installed apps one by one under a new hotsync name. There's no need to reflash the rom. Now my battery lasting 2 days.

Evidently there are some files generated with the 1.08 rom that do not work well with the 1.12 rom. Hard reseting deletes all files from the RAM, including these problematic files from when the phone was on 1.08.

Before this, I had some serious battery drain. I couldn't make it through the day without charging. Even with the phone off, the battery discharged over night!

Regards,
    Nate
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    I solved my battery drain by renaming the sync folder on the PC and then hard resetting the treo. After the hard reset, I manually installed apps one by one under a new hotsync name. There's no need to reflash the rom. Now my battery lasting 2 days.

Evidently there are some files generated with the 1.08 rom that do not work well with the 1.12 rom. Hard reseting deletes all files from the RAM, including these problematic files from when the phone was on 1.08.

Before this, I had some serious battery drain. I couldn't make it through the day without charging. Even with the phone off, the battery discharged over night!

Regards,
    Nate
    I am glad you found your problem as I am having serious battery drain but renaming my hotsyncid will make all my registered apps not work any longer
    Quote Originally Posted by the worm
    I am glad you found your problem as I am having serious battery drain but renaming my hotsyncid will make all my registered apps not work any longer
    Couldn't that generally be fixed by just doing a backup of the Saved Preferences file and restoring it after everything?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I have recently experienced simialr battery drain issues. The first time it happened I thought I had left my data connection open overnight. However, this morning my battery was almost dead and here is what transpired:

1. Left work with 100% battery yesterday at 4PM
    2. Treo sat on table at home BT off, data off, phone on.
    3. 9PM connected to data to check MLB scores (about 5 min max)
    4. Turned phone radio completely off about 9:05PM placed Treo on table.
    5. This morning battery was almost completely dead. I received a battery warning message.

This is the second time in about a week and a half that this has happened. I do have Volume Care installed so I'm wondering if this could be causing the problem. Never seemed to have this problem before. The apps on my Treo have pretty much remained the same. BTW I did the latest ROM update the day it came out but did not have these problems until recently.

I am going to place post in the VC thread to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Treo650
    SprintPCS
    Latest ROM (whatever we're up to now)
    VC 3.11
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
    What colour is battery discharge anyway?
  19.    #19  
    So I've been preparing for a full CLEAN by making sure I had all the registration info and application settings recorded somewhere. I use Snapper email and when checking out the settings I discovered the preference box "Disconnect afterwards" when check email was unchecked. Well I checked it and the turbo discharge of the battery has gone away - for now at least.
    Ok, with all this talk bout bad battery with 1.12, I am thinking bout staying with 1.08, any benefits of going to 1.12? What does it fix?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast