1.    #1  
    I will be upgrading from my Tungsten C to a Treo 650 GSM Unlocked (Cingular). I have 70 apps on the T|C (and 1GB SD Extreme III card), including DateBk5 V-5.4a. I use Palm Desktop 4.1.4 for syncing and BackupBuddy2 plus BackupBuddy VFS Pro 3.1 for backups:

1. What is the best procedure?
    2. Are there any particular pitfalls or steps that I should pay special attention to?
    3. I'm aware that I will need the Treo 650 Updater 1.13. When should that be installed in this procedure?

Thank you.
    Cheers, RoyofSF,
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked, DateBk 5, Palm Desktop 4.1.4, Windows XP Pro/SP 2, San Disk Extreme III 1GB card, backups (BackupBuddy2, BBVFS Pro, 64MB Palm Backupcard+)
    Install the 1.13 first. (When you have the free memory to do it.) And start with a new user id.

LOAD FROM A FRESH START:

DO NOT JUST HOT SYNC the Treo to your prior user id, create a new one as suggested above. (Prior Tungsten C setting info in your user id back up folder will drive the Treo 650 nuts.)

Beam your PIM data (Contacts, Memos, Tasks, etc) from the C to the 650. (You can do a mass beam by selecting category, then all.) They can then go upstream on your next hot sync to your new user id.

Load all 3rd party apps manually from scratch onto the 650, giving them a fresh install on the device. (not from a backup.)

This sounds like the long way around, but (trust me) it beats trying to find the gremlins you might create in your 650 if you don't do it this way.

If you use Docs to Go -- get this tool and use it. It will save 4mb of your internal memory by moving the DTG program files to the card. (You cannot do it manually DTG will get flaky, if you do.)

ttp://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=83240
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/20/2005 at 09:06 PM.
    Oh Yeah, Install the Palm desktop that comes with your Treo 650 over the top of the old one, do this first. There are 650 conduits that need to be put in place.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I also went from the T/C tothe 650. I wanted to keep the same user so that my program registration codes would still work. So I renamed the backup folder on my pc instead. This way the 650 did not get any of the old stuff right away. I beamed or hotsynced 1 program at a time to check its stability on the new OS. Take a look at www.palmfocus.com/treo650software.php to see if the apps you have were reported as compatible. Most have been updated now, but last year this was an invauluble resource.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
  5.    #5  
    By the way, how do I handle my memory card during the upgrade. It has 103MB on it and parts of or all of as many apps as I could move to it using ZLauncher. I assume that I don't even think of plugging it into the new Treo 650 until after the initial hotsunc to polulate the new PIMs.

But as I begin adding fresh installs of all my old apps and transfer as much as possible to the card, won't that double the number of files for each app that is on the card because I've already transfered the same files to the card in my old Tungsten C days?
    Cheers, RoyofSF,
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked, DateBk 5, Palm Desktop 4.1.4, Windows XP Pro/SP 2, San Disk Extreme III 1GB card, backups (BackupBuddy2, BBVFS Pro, 64MB Palm Backupcard+)