Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I had problems for about 12 hrs before I finally got a code. I also emailed them and got a reply (no suggestions) from this address Ibrahim En-nali <Ibrahim.En-nali@tomtom.com>. Maybe if he gets several emails they will fix it.
    I received this from TomTom today. It looks like I needed to wait a week to activate the second device.
    The TomTom Licensing agreement affords each customer two concurrent active installations of Navigator only. If you have only activated TomTom Navigator once in the past you can apply for the second activation code from www.ttcode.com as long as 7 days have passed since the original activation.

Kind Regards,

TomTom USA Customer Service
    Here's what I received today regarding switching from one device to another.
    ----------

The TomTom license agreement clearly states that „This TomTom License Agreement ("License") permits you to use the TomTom computer program and the digital (map) data included in the accompanying package acquired with this License on any single computer, provided the Software is installed on only one computer at any time and provided the Software is combined only with one (1) navigation system. This License is non-exclusive and non-transferable.” If your Pocket PC should be repaired or replaced then we must ask you to fax us on this number + 31 (0)20 – 8501097 with the following information:

1. Your proof of repair or proof of purchase of the new Pocket PC
    2. Your Product Code from the inside plastic cover of the navigator CD
    3. When you install the navigator software and attempt to use the software for the first time on the new or repaired Pocket PC you will receive a device code and we need this number as well
    4. An email address to send the new activation code back to you
    5. First name followed by surname

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
    With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I had a problem last night. I was driving around, and actually got a little lost, so I turned on my GPS and it said that my maps were not activated. They were fine two days ago. I tried entering the activation code they gave me a couple days ago, and it doesn't work.

Has anyone ever had this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by designer3d712
    I had a problem last night. I was driving around, and actually got a little lost, so I turned on my GPS and it said that my maps were not activated. They were fine two days ago. I tried entering the activation code they gave me a couple days ago, and it doesn't work.

Has anyone ever had this problem?
    Yep, and pretty often too. I haven't researched it enough yet to see if it happens after I've done a hotsync or after a soft reset but I think it's one of the two. In the meantime, I've memorized that activation code.
    My Treo's Stats:
    650 Unlocked/Unbranded GSM <br>1.71 Firmware w/ 1.20 ENA
    Carrier: Cingular
    Current BT Headset: Treo Wireless
    GPS: TomTom5 + BT338
    I am having problems with activation as well. The Code is not working. The message is
    "Sorry, this is not the correct activation code for the product 'New_York'.
    I am sure I am enetring the correct code. Am I doing something wrong?

Any suggestions?
    yet again my map de-activated after 2 days... what's going on? I re-enter my activation code, and it says wrong code. the only other way to get it reactivated is to reinstall the map.. I'm traveling 2,300 miles in a week and it will be impossible for me to install the maps again...

I have emailed Tom TOm, but does anyone have any suggestion? I'm so close to returning this software and asking for a refund. This is the most unreliable software I have ever delt with..
    "Sorry, this is not the correct activation code for the product 'New_York'.
    If you enter it using the Treo's keyboard it won't work. You have to use the popup TomTom keyboard for it to work. I ran into the same problem.

-Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism
    If you enter it using the Treo's keyboard it won't work. You have to use the popup TomTom keyboard for it to work. I ran into the same problem.

-Chris
    well if this is also a fix for my problem, then it doesn't work cause I've already tried that... any other suggestions?
    Ok I found something out through trial and error. Now to start off, I have only loaded major roads of the US. When I search through FileProg, I come across the file r_roads_of_america_685A7b49.mac. When I check the attributes,the date for backed is Jan 1, 1904. I delete this file; enter my activation code and it works. If I exist out of tomtom, this file reappears, and it starts all over again saying that my map isn't activated. So it seems that every time I want to use tomtom, I have to go through this process.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?
    Quote Originally Posted by designer3d712
    I'm so close to returning this software and asking for a refund. This is the most unreliable software I have ever delt with..
    I agree with designer3d712.
    After spending 2 days constantly trying, I finally got this sh..t to work by doing this, 1) I deleted the palm software (Palm One) completely from my computer 2) Performed a hard reset on Treo 650 3) Installed the palm one software again 4) (Do Not Install TomTom yet) HotSync under a different user name 5) Installed the TomTom application, voice and then one small map 6) HotSync again. 7) Then activated the map and the code worked. No problems so far.

Sometimes Treo does a soft reset automatically while switching between TT5 and phone application and not everytime but once in a while it asks for activation code when resets but code works everytime, I have memorized the code.

TomTom should immediately fire the group responsible for the activation code & develop new activation program before loosing US market.
    I finally got my TomTom5 software working the way it is supposed to. I had a few problems, but they were all avoidable if I had known then what I know now. I thought I would give this review for those who have not yet set up TT5 or are wondering if they should buy it.

As far as setup. Here are the problems and how I could have avoided them:
    1. When running TT5, I would get Amrcode Not Allowed as an error flashing on screen and preventing startup. I believe this is caused by having too little free internal memory. Despite a large free space on the SD card where I installed TT, this problem was eliminated when I freed up 4m of the 22m internal.
    2. Problem hotsyncing maps onto Treo - this problem was caused by my attempting to sync two maps at once and when that didn't work, I didn't realize that you need to empty out the Palm install tool before you start over. When I finally emptied the install tool and did one map at a time, it worked fine. Hot sync runs at about 5mb per minute so i could do a typical map in about 20-30 minutes. I did them all in an afternoon (I travel a lot and wanted all locations). I did not try to put them on without hotsyncing becuase this product is termpermental so I recommend hotsyncing every map you need, one at a time.
    3. The Armcode Not Allowed error re-appeared after I tried to Hotsync more than one map at a time - This can probably be avoided if you don't make this mistake, but the fix was to reinstall TT5 which took about 5 minutes.
    4. Soft Resets occuring - These occurred during the install process when I would go to use the application. They only occurred once after each install and were not a problem. No resets since then.
    5. Activation issues - didn't have any. Everything worked exactly as the instructions said. I know some others have reported problems, but I had none.
    6. Linking BT GPS to T650 - this took a number of tries over 60 minutes, but once it worked, it stuck. Just be patient, keep retrying.

Should you buy TT5. My answer is YES with a couple of qualifications. First of all, I have only road tested it for about one hour in my town, but it worked great. I am used to the Hertz neverlost system, which is excellent, and this was as good, or better, with a couple of reservations. My biggest concern is that you have to stop using TT5 when using your phone for a call. This is a huge limitation, but the only way to avoid it is with a separate GPS unit (I suppose someone may make software that would allow both at the same time, but this is probably more a limitation of the Palm OS). In my very limited test, I am so impressed with the TT5 software, that if I bought a separate unit, I would get it from TomTom. The only other issue, is that the screen on the Treo is a little hard to see in broad daylight when it is on a windshield mount. I am going to experiment with trying a center console mount. Nontheless, I could see the screen, just not easily. At night or in undirect light it would be great anywhere. The size of the image was no problem, and the voice prompts are so much better than Hertz that you might be able to do the entire trip without looking at the screen. I recommend TT5 highly IF you are going to use your T650 for GPS. I especially love the fact that when I am walking around in downtown AnyBigCity, I can use this for navigating without a car.

Which GPS reciever should you buy? I bucked the trend and ordered the Holux GPSSlim 236. I have been VERY happy with it. It worked like a charm, is very tiny (size of an SD card case but slightly thicker), comes with a car and wall charger, and an easy to replace battery. Would easily fit in my pocket when navigating on foot. I chose this unit because it is possible to connect it to the T650 via wire and thus avoid the BT linking (this is valuable if you want to use a BT headset or if the link is bad). Now, I have not yet gotten the cord for this, and when you use the cord, you can't have either device on a charger, so this is a limited advantage that I may never use, but the GPS slim is a great device. I didn't order the TT unit, so I can't comment on which is better.

I will road test the device in other cities over the next few weeks and report back if anything changes. With very limited experience, I recommend TT5 highly. While the setup was more difficult than necessary, I could have avoided most problems if I had known what is in this email. Unfortunately, the instructions are very poorly written and the website gives no useful answers.
    Last edited by dheymann; 08/15/2005 at 11:13 AM.
    May I ask when installing maps, why not install to the hard drive and copy them to the SD card? I have all the maps on my hard drive and now I just choose which ones to use. No syncing involved. Much, much faster. I had none of the problems that have been discussed. Just a minor problem with their policy on switching to another device. I installed to card. Installed maps to other location, my hard drive, then copied the maps to the SD. I have had no resets. I use the Delorme Blue Logger GPS and it connects nearly instantaneous as long as I have it on first.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    May I ask when installing maps, why not install to the hard drive and copy them to the SD card? I have all the maps on my hard drive and now I just choose which ones to use. No syncing involved. Much, much faster. I had none of the problems that have been discussed. Just a minor problem with their policy on switching to another device. I installed to card. Installed maps to other location, my hard drive, then copied the maps to the SD. I have had no resets. I use the Delorme Blue Logger GPS and it connects nearly instantaneous as long as I have it on first.
    Your idea is better if it works. I could not find any posts from someone who had loaded the maps successfully without hotsyncing and there were a couple of posts that seemed to indicate that might cause problems (thought nothing was difinitive). I decided to invest four hours one time up front, then run the risk of having some problem switching between maps later. If you have loaded them directly, and are able so switch back and forth easily, you should post exactly how you did that. I would have followed your post if I could have found one like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dheymann
    Your idea is better if it works. I could not find any posts from someone who had loaded the maps successfully without hotsyncing and there were a couple of posts that seemed to indicate that might cause problems (thought nothing was difinitive). I decided to invest four hours one time up front, then run the risk of having some problem switching between maps later. If you have loaded them directly, and are able so switch back and forth easily, you should post exactly how you did that. I would have followed your post if I could have found one like that.
    I have read about that method somewhere on these forums. I will try to find the threads or write up my method. I know I never did a hotysync of maps. I chose other location and a location on my hard drive. then copied the folders that are created to the root of my SD card. I will put together the steps I followed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12