Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. mcw
    upgrade if you only need the features it adds... I think the upgrade destroyed my radio.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slithy
    I just did the update, and it looks like everything is fine. FYI, there is one confusing part, when you do your Hotsync after the ROM updater runs on the palm: the written instructions on the website tell you to Hotsync with your original user name, and the updater program on the PC tells you to use TempDelete. Use your original name, to restore your original data. The installer will get confused, but its job is already done at that point.
    If you used TempDelete and synced and let the updater do its thing the unit should reset. When it does the update is done. There is no need to sync TempDelete again ... so you sync your old username to restore the data.

It has been mentioned that running the updater after it has already been done can cause your machine to go into a continous reboot.

Here is what I did:

1. Sync data to backup information.

2. Hard reset unit by keeping finger on poweron button while resetting. When the circle palm logo comes up (after the one with the bar on bottom) release and press up to reset.

3. Run the installer you downloaded from the palm verizon updater site and follow the prompts until the first sync.

3. Sync unit ... creating a new profile called TempDelete.

4. Wait for it to do its thing.

5. Sync unit ... this time using OLD user account. This should restore much of old data.

6. Verify that it updated by going to phone app, clicking menu and going to phone info. You should be running 1.03 now.

7. Do the happy dance. (First cabbage patch for 3 turns, then running man for 3 turns, then moonwalk for 3 seconds and finish off with a slide!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuopus
    The update is supposed to improve roaming by allowing it to better use towers outside of Verizon. As far as the verizon lable on the upper left, the instructions tell you to dial *228 and use option 1 to re-program your phone. Did as it says and verizon is up there again with the triangle.
    When I did the *228 for the second time I got the Verizon label back and the triangle was gone. Since then I've noticed minor improvement in signal strength.
    Will The Shadowmite BT DUN patch work with this new firmware?
    So, am I the only one here that has fried my T650 w/ this upgrade??? Man do I feel stupid!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Will this improve call volume and speakerphone clarity? Thats the only issues I am really having with my Treo so far..
    Quote Originally Posted by JmakVR6
    Will this improve call volume and speakerphone clarity? Thats the only issues I am really having with my Treo so far..
    I'm a Sprint user, but there is a 3rd party fix:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=91005
  8. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Yes, absolutely. I just did it last night and have posted detailed instructions here.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM
    Is it possible to do the ROM update using just Missing Sync? I don't have Palm Desktop installed and I don't want to get the ROM install program confused!

That said, I'm going to wait until people have had time to discover all the things Verizon has taken away from us with this update before I decide to install it.
    Another successful update, although I had to do a warm reset to break a continuous reset cycle immediately after the update. Once you confirm that the update is done, I highly recommend HARD resetting again prior to hotsyncing with your old username. I also recommend taking your SD card out as well, I think that's what lead to my continuous resets.

All in all, my treo works great now. More stable I think, but time will tell.
    SD cards & 1.03 updating: I use ZLauncher and have moved apps from Palm to the SD card and have shortcuts to the apps. Do I need to do anything to the SD card or the apps after updating to 1.03?
    The update should not fry your phone, it looks like you could have a problem due to the modem firmware not flashing properly. You should try two things:

1) Do a Zero-Out reset... Hold power AND hotsync while pushing reset.

2) Re-Run the CDMAfirmwareflasher which I will be extracting from the update today.
  12. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlissner
    Will The Shadowmite BT DUN patch work with this new firmware?
    VERY good question! Just stopped me in my tracks from updating. Can anyone answer?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggyFife
    So, am I the only one here that has fried my T650 w/ this upgrade??? Man do I feel stupid!!!

LOL. What may have happened was you synced with TempDelete like instructions say and let update happen. But AFTER update you syned AGAIN with the same TempDelete? It would have been default since it was last used profile.

Anyhoo if you did that then it will go into a continuous reboot over and over again.
    Does anyone know if it's possible to install this update on a Sprint Treo 650 that's been hacked to work on Verizon? I'd like to take advantage of the improvements.
    Well, after using it all day after the upgrade, service is no better, just as many dropped calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorker545
    SD cards & 1.03 updating: I use ZLauncher and have moved apps from Palm to the SD card and have shortcuts to the apps. Do I need to do anything to the SD card or the apps after updating to 1.03?
    I also have zlauncher installed with many programs moved to SD card before the update. I removed the SD card before update and afterwards just put it back in before hotsyncing to my original username. Everything is back to normal. So to answer your question, doesn't seem like you have to do anything before the update.
    Did mine this morning. I followed the instructions from the web precisely, and it went very well for me.

When all was said and done, I had to re-install VoiceDial(which I expected based on what I've read) and also had to re-install Ringo Pro as it wouldn't play mp3's and told me I needed to upgrade to Ringo "Pro" or use a supported mp3 player. Deleted it on the handheld, then reinstalled and it went fine. I didn't mind losing the settings as I only had a few in there at the time. It may have kept them had I re-installed over the existing, but I figured it would be best to delete then re-install.

Datebk5 and all icons, etc went back on perfect!!!

Not sure about the signal strength yet. I'll find out when I go through the really weak locations on my way home.

-jeff
  18. mcw
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    The update should not fry your phone, it looks like you could have a problem due to the modem firmware not flashing properly. You should try two things:

1) Do a Zero-Out reset... Hold power AND hotsync while pushing reset.

2) Re-Run the CDMAfirmwareflasher which I will be extracting from the update today.
    Hi Shadowmite, would #2 fix my problem? I can't get "Network Search..." to go away. Already did numerous hard and soft resets, the zero out reset, did the upgrade a few times... It didn't fail when I initially ran the upgrade.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=41

Can't wait to try it out when you release it (hopefully soon )
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG
    Well, after using it all day after the upgrade, service is no better, just as many dropped calls.

Wooo you must be in the boonies then. I can talk in the store, get in my car and go home without reception problems everywhere in Arizona without drops or voice problems. Well ... not when I go in the tunnel though, but then again big freeway tunnels hose most service.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuopus
    The update is supposed to improve roaming by allowing it to better use towers outside of Verizon. As far as the verizon lable on the upper left, the instructions tell you to dial *228 and use option 1 to re-program your phone. Did as it says and verizon is up there again with the triangle.
    I noticed that in this release, the provider name still isn't always available after turning on the radio, but at least now the text is blank rather than full of irrelevant data.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast