Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I found a solution for those wanting a long-lasting grip for the back of their 650s (and any Treo for that matter) at a cheap price. It's the most economical and practical form of eGrips, althought it doesn't have colors to match your Treo's housing.

Anyway...here's the story. Mediasi mentioned in a post that "anti-skid tub strips" (small strips that are placed in the bath tub) would prolly work well, even if a little tacky. I decided to check out Wal-Mart's selection of anti-skid tub strips, but to my dismay Wal-Mart had none. I asked the person working there if she knew what I was talking about...but she could barely understand English. Somebody else recommended that I check the hardware section. I went over there, but no tub strips! Ahh...I decided to continue looking in the hardware section for something with a grippy material on one side and an adhesive on the other. As I was just about to leave, I found this...a 25 foot long roll of Duck tape called "Hold-It for Rugs"!!! It was thick, just thick enough for the battery cover!! I checked the price...$6.98 (or maybe it was $6.88???). I was disappointed since it's Wal-Mart, but considering egrips are $11 to $13 for ONE pair of egrips....I realized it was actually an excellent buy. 25 feet of this stuff equals like 150 egrip-like "patches" for your 650....and for $7, no less.

I've only used it for a day, but it grips very well and the adhesive also works very well -- MUCH better than my experience with egrips!! I took my first test patch off at the end of the day to see how easy it was to remove the adhesive from the cover. It wasn't hard as I did it all with my thumbs. It's the perfect width, the perfect material, the perfect adhesive, the perfect price. The only thing I'm complaining about is that it's white and gets dirty fairly easily. I'm going to try using a blue/silver sharpie on it and see if that works out. Hopefully!!

So, if you've got a few buckaroos to spare and want to prevent your treo from drops/slips...pick up the Hold-It for Rugs tape in the hardware section of Wal-Mart. Hope this helps some folks out!
    thats so ghetto......

*throws on shoes and rushes to wal-mart*
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    You can also buy dip grip from Home Depot. I believe they have them in aerosol. Basically the main purpose of it is to spray rubber film on your hardware tool handles.
    CPcrazyfly what are you drinking in your avatar,,,,, it dosent look like a 40,,,, it looks like a 20 of grape soda
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    thats so ghetto......

*throws on shoes and rushes to wal-mart*
    LOL-I have to admit that I will have to check it out as well. But...white? Yeah, I cant have that.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

thats ghetto as hell but i like it, im going to buy some later today
    Old Nokia - Nokia 3390 Sidekick 1 (black and white) - Sidekick Color - Treo 600 - Sidekick 2 - Blackberry 7100t - Treo 650 and razr black (best combo EVER) Iphone 8gb - Iphone 3G 16gb - BlackBerry Bold
    Somebody post some pics when ya do this!! lol

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    im getting some on my way home... soon enough
    Old Nokia - Nokia 3390 Sidekick 1 (black and white) - Sidekick Color - Treo 600 - Sidekick 2 - Blackberry 7100t - Treo 650 and razr black (best combo EVER) Iphone 8gb - Iphone 3G 16gb - BlackBerry Bold
    Why not just get the universal eGrips? There's enough for two treos, and you don't need to cover the entire phone.
    because egrips peel off super easy and have a very short life
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    CPcrazyfly what are you drinking in your avatar,,,,, it dosent look like a 40,,,, it looks like a 20 of grape soda
    who said it was a 40? i honestly dont remember what it was, i was pretty drunk at that point. i think...not sure but i think it might have been Twisted hard ice tea...we had cans of Miller lite, ive posted pics of the tower we made with cans that weekend somewhere in the Off Topic section. but i cant be 100% sure of what that bottle was

does it bother you?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    http://www.coverallsale.com/wh-sal10.jpg

BETTER THAN E-GRIPS. WORKS ON VIRTUALLY ANYTHING
    Pine Tar...that's my story, I'm stickin' to it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    does it bother you?
    No of course not,,,, I was just giving you a hard time. I remember that thread. Man I felt sorry for the cleaning lady.
    It wasn't bothering me, until the two of you started talkin' about it. Now I wanna know what the Hell it is too!

Maybe that's the next contest, "Guess what CP is sippin'.."
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Pine Tar...that's my story, I'm stickin' to it.
    I'll stay with superglue. Not taking any chances with my Treo
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Maybe that's the next contest, "Guess what CP is sippin'.."
    After Insertions 5000th ever thing else is anticlimactic and any way it wouldn't be much of a contest I've seen ReverendRhinos blog, he's got supernatural beer knowledge
    Quote Originally Posted by granth
    because egrips peel off super easy and have a very short life
    I have had eGrips for about five months and it hasn't budged from my 650. I carry the 650 in my front pocket and it feels just as "grippy" as when I first applied them. I don't even get the dreaded pocket fuzz.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    I have had eGrips for about five months and it hasn't budged from my 650. I carry the 650 in my front pocket and it feels just as "grippy" as when I first applied them. I don't even get the dreaded pocket fuzz.
    That's funny, 'cause mine only lasted 2-4 weeks. I think what my problem was was that I didn't put the side/top part of the egrips on....I only used the part on the battery cover. But either way, the grippy part did not stick to the plastic very easily...so, I don't think that the sides would have helped me out very much either.

This carpet holder tape is working out quite nicely so far...only problem is the color. It attracts dirt very easily since it's white. I actually set it in a ring of soda that was on my coffee table and now it's just a little more discolored and sticky than it was before (heh...eww)!!

I haven't had a chance to find a blue/silver colored sharpie to see how that would work out. I'm really just wondering if the sharpie would lessen the friction any...prolly not much if any at all.
    BTW - the Tub Strips are in (ta-da) the BATHROOM section. They're on a hook by the rubber mats.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast