1.    #1  
    i just got the 650 and it says 576k memory available! i can't sync (i have yet to sync at all!) , i can't move items to card (it says can't complete because error occured) H E L P
    Last edited by heydames; 07/19/2005 at 03:26 PM.
    Was it NIB or used? Since you've yet to use it - did you try a total hard reset?
  3.    #3  
    I bought it used and YES hard resets - several of them. what kind of support is out there? i do tech support and i'm pretty good at this stuff but it's been WEEKS and i don't know what to do. I tried to move things to the card - everything in the list says 1k and then error messages come up. i've deleted ALL of my stuff (well not deleted but rather sync backed up and then created a new user for new device). currently my address book says 3k same as my datebook. contacts are 191k. i don't have control over the rest, right? i have no pictures, no media files, no games.

i want to love my treo but this is making it very hard.
    What is the available memory after a hard reset, before you do anything else? It had better be 22.7mb free out of 23.7mb, or something like that. If not, and it is full at this point.. . . you have a clunker.

If it fills up after a hot sync, did you sync to a user id of a prior device? If so, let's start fresh with a clean reload: (650's HATE prior device settings being brought forward in this manner)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...096#post748096
    post #5, I believe
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/20/2005 at 02:32 PM.
    If you are using Docs to Go, use this: (Gain up to 4mb)
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

Cheers, Perry
    What carrier?

Sprint? Hard Reset. Do the 1.12 updater. Then do the clean load.
    Are you sure you are doing a hard reset instead of just a soft reset?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Are you sure you are doing a hard reset instead of just a soft reset?
    Great point. (do you get the erase all data Yes? No? Screen)
  9.    #9  
    thanks for all assistance......

i have cingular - have done soft and hard resets - hard reset does create correct free space of 22.4mb.

then i attempt to sync and it gets stuck in a restarting loop occasionally interrupted by the message "the free data storage space on the handheld is loe. Delete application or data."

i did sync to a user id of a prior device and went to read your other post - i'm not sure i understand this step -

rename your palm backup folder on your PC to backup_old

are you talking about this file BAKCN20.DLL that i found in C:\Program Files\Handspring ?

how do i now how big things are from my computer end? can i store my datebook on a card? i have a datebook that covers 4 years and i have no idea how much space that takes up. is it in that same folder mentioned above? i see date20.dll that is 532kb. I can purge but was wondering if there is an option that allows me to keep it all.
  10.    #10  
    ok an update 10 minutes later - changed something so i wouldn't be syncing to the userid or a prior device - this was a way i thought of...

i exported my data from the user then created a new user and imported it.

next i purged all but the last month and then i had a succesful sync. i have none of my pics or third party apps (that's fine for now), would still like to know how to keep the big datebook and perhaps store it (and other items) on the card. i know how to move things to a card but what i'm trying to move fill up the palm - should i go direct from PC machine to card? i know pics and a few others but not always sure where to find what i'm looking for.......
  11.    #11  
    another update - just realized none of my contacts were sync-ed! ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by heydames
    thanks for all assistance......

i have cingular - have done soft and hard resets - hard reset does create correct free space of 22.4mb.

then i attempt to sync and it gets stuck in a restarting loop occasionally interrupted by the message "the free data storage space on the handheld is loe. Delete application or data."

i did sync to a user id of a prior device and went to read your other post - i'm not sure i understand this step -

rename your palm backup folder on your PC to backup_old

are you talking about this file BAKCN20.DLL that i found in C:\Program Files\Handspring ?

how do i now how big things are from my computer end? can i store my datebook on a card? i have a datebook that covers 4 years and i have no idea how much space that takes up. is it in that same folder mentioned above? i see date20.dll that is 532kb. I can purge but was wondering if there is an option that allows me to keep it all.

rename this file on your PC:
    Programs>Palm>xxx userid>backup (to backup_old)
    this is where all your 3rd party software backup info is kept, if it is corrupt, you will just keep getting the problem back unless you do this rename step to "hide" it.

after this rename, do a hard reset

now Hot sync to your user id

You should now have just your regular PIM info back on the Treo (Contacts, Tasks, Memos and such.)

Now install 3rd party software manually from scratch just like an original install. Do this one at a time. Check memory after each one.

Hope this get's you up an running.

Cheers, Perry.

Have you installed the Desktop that came on the 650 Treo CD? Do this. It puts some 650 conduits into place. Then do the above.

If all this doesn't work. Hard reset and sync to a new user id. You should have no prior info on it then. Then copy your PIM data from your old user id to your new user id via the functionality in the Palm Desktop. Then reload the 3rd party software from scratch, one at a time. . . .

We will get you there. . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/21/2005 at 08:56 AM.
  13.    #13  
    work has been busy - i should get to it tonight or tomorrow - will update my progress - thanks again - LUV the pic!
  14.    #14  
    1) so i don't have the 650 CD - i bought the phone used and didn't think the CD was a big deal since I already had palm software and could easily download any new desktop. anywhere i can get what I need? is there a possibility of someone emailing to me?

2) Programs>Palm>xxx userid>backup (to backup_old)
    in programs i have a palm folder and a handspring folder. the handspring folder has 2005 dates and the palm folder is 2004 stuff. in both folders there are several usernames folders (perhaps more of my problem...) should i rename each folder to backup_old1, backup_old2...etc?

3) storing my calendar and contact databases on my SD card. is it as simple as just getting a card reader and then exporting from palm desktop to the SD card?

good news is that i can now sync and i am up and running but without any third party apps yet and only the past month of my calendar and i'd like to access it completely.

FYI : found this helpful
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=76198