Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Here's another alternative for a cradle with audio out:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=15018&rd=1

    Auction number 5790115097 if you have problems with the link

    Given the number of problems that some people seem to be having with the Seidio (causing computer reboots is completely unacceptable, no matter how else it work otherwise, IMHO), I'd like to try an alternative. This one is expensive enough, however, that I'd hope to get some feedback, first.

    thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  2. #2  
    Anybody??
  3. #3  
    I've got it! It works well, but there were a few things I didn't like, so I modified it to my liking. Now it is great (and on eBay I got it for a great price)!

    First, it acquires its audio signal from the headphone plug in the bottom of the treo. If you plan to use the audio out features, this is fine since any sound will be heard through whatever speaker source (which will need to be amplified) you plug in. But if you donít want to keep some sort of speaker system plugged into your cradle all the time, this might be problematic, since plugging into the headphones jack means that the Treo speaker will be muted (although maybe there is an option around this or some other solution Ė not sure). Also, having that male earphone jack sticking out of the cradle like that makes the phone a bit difficult to insert and take out. So my solution was simply to remove the earphone jack, which solved both problems. I simply pulled the plug out with a pair of pliers and now the audio out and microphone will not, of course, work, but I didnít want those features anyway and I can use the Treoís speakerphone just the same. The phone is also very easy to slip into the cradle now that the plug has been removed.

    Also, this cradle connects only via a USB plug, so it cannot be powered unless your computer is on or unless you connect it to a USB wall adapter. A lot of sync cables/cradles do it this way, but I wanted it to be powered via a wall plug while also being able to sync with my PC, like the power/sync cable that comes with the Treo 650. To solve this problem, I spliced the proper wires from 3 USB cables together so that one cable gives power only, another cable gives data only, and one cable gives both. This makes it versatile, and while most people probably will not need to do this, I now have a cradle that works exactly the way I like it.

    When I was looking for cradles, I had also run across another type on eBay like this. It works almost exactly like the one I wanted, except that it does NOT have a hotsync button. There seem to be a lot of sellers on eBay selling both types of cradles as well as some others.

    Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions about it!
  4.    #4  
    Interesting. I hadn't really thought about it muting the speaker, but the main reason I want this one is so that I CAN listen through headphones while it's docked. I keep vibrate on all the time too, so if I've taken the headphones off I should still notice any alarms or calls.

    Thanks for the reply.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5. #5  
    Does anyone know the maker of this cradle and will it work with the innpocket mag case? I want it only for the audio since I can't get the Seidio to feed anything other than headphones. I need to use it in my boat to hook up the the line in of my stereo.
  6. #6  
    I've thrown away the packaging, but the maker of the cradle is probably listed on the cradle somewhere - I can check when I return home tonight. I'm not sure about the case to which you are referring, but I doubt it will fit. If this is the one, this I highly doubt it will fit. The cradle sort of wraps around the base of the Treo while it is in the cradle and it doesn't seem to be and "in the case" cradle like the Seidio Innodock... If you want it for the audio, you could just buy an adapter?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by theminor
    First, it acquires its audio signal from the headphone plug in the bottom of the treo. If you plan to use the audio out features, this is fine since any sound will be heard through whatever speaker source (which will need to be amplified) you plug in. But if you donít want to keep some sort of speaker system plugged into your cradle all the time, this might be problematic, since plugging into the headphones jack means that the Treo speaker will be muted (although maybe there is an option around this or some other solution Ė not sure). Also, having that male earphone jack sticking out of the cradle like that makes the phone a bit difficult to insert and take out. So my solution was simply to remove the earphone jack, which solved both problems. I simply pulled the plug out with a pair of pliers and now the audio out and microphone will not, of course, work, but I didnít want those features anyway and I can use the Treoís speakerphone just the same. The phone is also very easy to slip into the cradle now that the plug has been removed.
    Did you test the sound quality of the microphone before you yanked that sucka out?? I plan on mounting a cradle like this in my car specifically for the audio out & mic in purposes. If I connect the Treo to my car's head unit with an auxiliary adapter...I need a microphone, and this would be perfect.

    Quote Originally Posted by theminor
    Also, this cradle connects only via a USB plug, so it cannot be powered unless your computer is on or unless you connect it to a USB wall adapter. A lot of sync cables/cradles do it this way, but I wanted it to be powered via a wall plug while also being able to sync with my PC, like the power/sync cable that comes with the Treo 650. To solve this problem, I spliced the proper wires from 3 USB cables together so that one cable gives power only, another cable gives data only, and one cable gives both. This makes it versatile, and while most people probably will not need to do this, I now have a cradle that works exactly the way I like it.
    It seems that this link would have provided you with something more versatile: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1.

    I plan on using the car adapter obviously with this cradle.

    Quote Originally Posted by theminor
    When I was looking for cradles, I had also run across another type on eBay like this. It works almost exactly like the one I wanted, except that it does NOT have a hotsync button. There seem to be a lot of sellers on eBay selling both types of cradles as well as some others.
    I guess either one would work fine for my purposes.

    I haven't been looking at cradles for all that long...but how many cradles are there that have audio out AND a microphone?? I need both.

    Thanks for the help, guys.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by theminor
    The cradle sort of wraps around the base of the Treo while it is in the cradle and it doesn't seem to be and "in the case" cradle like the.....
    Do you think that it wraps around enough so that it could be mounted on a car dash and not fling across the car with sharp turns? I'm thinking that it wouldn't go anywhere thanks to the audio out jack. But if your cradle were slanted forward (like my dash)...do you think it's gonna stay put?
    Quote Originally Posted by theminor
    Seidio Innodock... If you want it for the audio, you could just buy an adapter?
    Wouldn't it be kinda hard to add an adapter to a cradle?? Wouldn't it need to be designed with the adapter in mind to work like a real cradle?

    Also, I checked out that link....noticed it didn't have a built-in mic, but it did say: "Treo 650 built-in microphone can be enabled for hands free operation."

    How exactly do you enable the Treo's built-in mic when it's plugged into the cradle? Maybe I don't need a microphone built into the cradle afterall.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Did you test the sound quality of the microphone before you yanked that sucka out?? I plan on mounting a cradle like this in my car specifically for the audio out & mic in purposes. If I connect the Treo to my car's head unit with an auxiliary adapter...I need a microphone, and this would be perfect.
    Sorry, I didnít even try it! Maybe someone else has used this thingÖ

    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    It seems that this link would have provided you with something more versatile: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...eName=WDVW&rd=1.
    That would have been fine, except I wanted a cradle!

    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I plan on using the car adapter obviously with this cradle.
    Just make sure you can do what you need via USB (there is a single mini-USB connector on the back of the cradle. It comes with a (somewhat short) USB cable.

    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Do you think that it wraps around enough so that it could be mounted on a car dash and not fling across the car with sharp turns? I'm thinking that it wouldn't go anywhere thanks to the audio out jack. But if your cradle were slanted forward (like my dash)...do you think it's gonna stay put?
    Iíd say you are pretty darn safe on this one. The combination of the audio jack and the wrap-around snugness should keep that sucka in just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Wouldn't it be kinda hard to add an adapter to a cradle?? Wouldn't it need to be designed with the adapter in mind to work like a real cradle?
    Sorry, I should have been more clear Ė I meant using an adapter instead of the cradle (but it sounds like you need a cradle, so never mind!)

    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Also, I checked out that link....noticed it didn't have a built-in mic, but it did say: "Treo 650 built-in microphone can be enabled for hands free operation."
    How exactly do you enable the Treo's built-in mic when it's plugged into the cradle? Maybe I don't need a microphone built into the cradle afterall.
    I donít think the other cradle I linked to has the built in mic or audio out. This is a different model than the one I bought, which is the one meyerweb linked to in the first post in this thread. Probably that other one I linked to does not have the audio plug (and I also know it does not have a hotsync button because I asked the eBay seller).
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by theminor
    That would have been fine, except I wanted a cradle!
    Sorry...whenever I said versatile I was referring to the USB attachments (i.e. - USB-to- AC & DC adapters). You coulda used the USB to sync with a desktop, an AC adapter (which you wanted), or if necessary a car adapter (which I wanted). That woulda been my solution for versatility instead of splicing and soldering/taping.

    Quote Originally Posted by theminor
    Just make sure you can do what you need via USB (there is a single mini-USB connector on the back of the cradle. It comes with a (somewhat short) USB cable.
    How short is somewhat short?

    Also...how where is the jack located to connect headphones or external speakers??? Could you take a pic of the bottom or wherever it was located?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Sorry...whenever I said versatile I was referring to the USB attachments (i.e. - USB-to- AC & DC adapters). You coulda used the USB to sync with a desktop, an AC adapter (which you wanted), or if necessary a car adapter (which I wanted). That woulda been my solution for versatility instead of splicing and soldering/taping.
    Ah - i see! Good idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    How short is somewhat short?
    I don't have it hear with me at work, but I can guestimate that the cord is maybe 3 feet or so (?) But you can, of course, use a USB extension cable or a longer USB cable (USB type A on one end and mini USB type B on the other) just the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Also...how where is the jack located to connect headphones or external speakers??? Could you take a pic of the bottom or wherever it was located?
    The Audio out and USB ports are on the back of the cradle. I can take pics tonight or maybe tomorrow if you want?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by theminor
    I don't have it hear with me at work, but I can guestimate that the cord is maybe 3 feet or so (?) But you can, of course, use a USB extension cable or a longer USB cable (USB type A on one end and mini USB type B on the other) just the same.
    Sweet...I think 2 feet would be my minimum...so 3 would work nicely.

    Quote Originally Posted by theminor
    The Audio out and USB ports are on the back of the cradle. I can take pics tonight or maybe tomorrow if you want?
    Pics are always fine by me. There's no rush, however...'cause I don't plan on ordering this 'til Monday (if the pics look sweet).
  13. #13  
    Okay I've taken some Pics:

    http://www.filefarmer.com/theminor/p1000036.jpg
    http://www.filefarmer.com/theminor/p1000040.jpg
    http://www.filefarmer.com/theminor/p1000046.jpg
    http://www.filefarmer.com/theminor/p1000049.jpg
    My Homebrew wire I discussed earlier

    After actually coming home and looking at it, one thing I should revise one description regarding the way the phone is held in the cradle. It doesn't "wrap around" quite the way I had thought it did - it only wraps around the sides of the phone. I still think you will be okay with the audio jack, stability-wise, while using it in a car, though. See the pics for details.

    Hope this helps!
  14. #14  
    It sure does. I wish I could just borrow it for 10 minutes or so...that's all. I guess I will end up buying it.

    My last question for you is this - you said that the protruding jack made it more difficult to dock in the cradle...do you imagine that it'd be good for day to day over a long period of time??? Otherwise I might just use the cheap universal car mount that I already have and plug in the two bottom adapters.

    Again...thanks for the info theminor, you've been themajor help.
  15. #15  
    P.S. - Sweet cable!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    you said that the protruding jack made it more difficult to dock in the cradle...do you imagine that it'd be good for day to day over a long period of time???
    Hmmm... Good question. It seemed sturdy enough, but if you use it a lot I can see it being a problem. You have to be careful to pull the treo up and not forward when taking it out and I'd imagine that if you pulled forward too much the audio jack could break off. It came off fairly easily when I removed it with a pair of pliers.

    If you do end up going with this cradel, let us know how it works out (or even document your car-kit creation process if you can)!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by theminor
    Hmmm... Good question. It seemed sturdy enough, but if you use it a lot I can see it being a problem. You have to be careful to pull the treo up and not forward when taking it out and I'd imagine that if you pulled forward too much the audio jack could break off. It came off fairly easily when I removed it with a pair of pliers.
    Now all of a sudden you're making me iffy on this purchase.

    Quote Originally Posted by theminor
    If you do end up going with this cradel, let us know how it works out (or even document your car-kit creation process if you can)!
    I prolly will end up going with it as I haven't seen another cradle with an audio-out and mic-in. I'll have to start a new thread in search of my ideal cradle, just to see what my options are.

    I'll definitely be posting my results as soon as I get the cradle.

    Thanks again for your help, the minor.
  18. #18  
    No problem - look forward to your conclusions!

Posting Permissions