Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With all three (phone, calendar, messaging) "when sound is switched off" options set to vibrate, and with the sound switched off, I get task alarms waking it, but not shaking it. (Preach it, brother!) For that matter, the same happens with Calendar appointments, but maybe that's some idiosyncrasy of TMP, a truly beautiful if fairly feature-free calendar program supplement that uses the Palm OS database for everything--so let's focus on tasks, unless they're the same problem.

Aside from setting (and resetting, then setting again) phone, calendar, and messaging alarms to vibrate when sound is off, what should I be doing here to make this work? VERY annoying to miss tasks (and appointments) just because the sound is (usually very appropriately) turned off.

If I wanted to miss alarms, I'd have stuck with my Pocket PC.

Thanks for any help you can offer! This is a killer problem for me, and I'm still within the 14 day return period for my Treo.

John
    Last edited by JohnRylander; 07/19/2005 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Took "Newbie" out of the title; it turned out, sadly, to be misleading since many have this problem, and maybe none a solution.
    That seems weird, I'm pretty sure they all vibrate for me when the sound switch is off.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #3  
    I deleted TMP, and then a Calendar vibrate test worked fine; tasks still won't vibrate. Hmmm.... probably some other little third-party utility. Butler? More testing, if no one here has any obvious fix.
  4.    #4  
    Well, I've tried deleting a number of programs--Butler, Keyguard Plus, e.g.--but so far, nothing I've done makes Task Alarms vibrate when the sound is turned off. (Or when it's turned on, for that matter.)

Does this really work fine for everyone else? Can anyone confirm that explicitly? It's trivially easy, if tedious, to test: just create a dummy task or use an existing one, and set an alarm for the upcoming 5 minute mark, and then turn the sound switch off.

Then: does your Treo 650 simply light up, or does it vibrate, when the time comes?

Thanks for your help--this is a real issue for me, though I suppose I can live with it if I must (don't use task alarms, e.g.).
    Just tested this twice on my SPCS650. No vib in the ringer off position with or without DateBK5 handling the alarms. I even have profile care set to vib in either switch position for such alarms. It does vib in the ringer on position but not in ringer off.

Looks like another Palm bug.

HTH

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
  6.    #6  
    Xathros,

Thanks for your help here.

I have a Sprint Treo 650 too, latest (1.12) ROM.

I'm still wondering if this is something others run into...? (Though from my Pocket PC days, I confess amazement but acceptance that for many people, incredibly, having unreliable alarms is simply no big deal, sort of "huh--missed an alarm" instead of "!@#!!!?! Missed an alarm!!!").

Can any other Treo 650 users, Sprint or not, confirm this? If this is a general problem, I'll try to make sure that relevant people know about it so it can be corrected ASAP ("like they care", veterans mumble....).

John
    Never had Tasks vibrate with sounds on or off. Cingular.

Lucan
  8.    #8  
    If this turns out to be a general problem--and it's looking like it so far, though I still hope it's not--do any of you Palm developrs out there know if some simple hack can make Tasks use Calendar-style alarms or something like that?
  9.    #9  
    Perhaps this is a better question to ask now: has anyone ACTUALLY TESTED task alarms and found that they DO VIBRATE? Particularly with the ringer switch off?

If so, could you post here, along with a mention of what specific model of the Treo 650 you have (carrier, ROM version) and special alarm-related software you're using, if any?
    Last edited by JohnRylander; 07/20/2005 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
  10.    #10  
    A bump just to make sure there are no CONFIRMED, TESTED reports of working vibrating task alarms before I talk with Sprint techies about it tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRylander
    With all three (phone, calendar, messaging) "when sound is switched off" options set to vibrate, and with the sound switched off, I get task alarms waking it, but not shaking it. (Preach it, brother!) For that matter, the same happens with Calendar appointments, but maybe that's some idiosyncrasy of TMP, a truly beautiful if fairly feature-free calendar program supplement that uses the Palm OS database for everything--so let's focus on tasks, unless they're the same problem.

Aside from setting (and resetting, then setting again) phone, calendar, and messaging alarms to vibrate when sound is off, what should I be doing here to make this work? VERY annoying to miss tasks (and appointments) just because the sound is (usually very appropriately) turned off.

If I wanted to miss alarms, I'd have stuck with my Pocket PC.

Thanks for any help you can offer! This is a killer problem for me, and I'm still within the 14 day return period for my Treo.

John
    From the Applications Main Menu:

Go to "Sounds"

There is an option that is on the bottom of the screen called "Sound Mode Off". Make sure the vibrate mode is on via the drop down menu.

Stalker768
  12.    #12  
    Thanks, Stalker, but that was checked out long ago; or do you mean that on your Treo, you've confirmed that Task Alarms do vibrate with those settings? If so, you'd be the first to report a successful test, and if you would, please let me know which carrier and ROM you have, since that may be useful when I talk with Sprint about this.
    JohnRylander--I can confirm Xathros and your findings regarding the Tasks Alarm not vibrating when in the "no sound" position.

I am on a Cingular Branded model with no default (no updates) Tasks, Calendar etc....

Also, I can confirm that even with the sound on and vibrate mode on when a Task Alert is active I don't get the vibrate and sound. I only get sound. So, it seems that under the Tasks Alarm you can only have a sound alert alarm not a vibrate alert.

It is not a Sprint only thing. I believe that it is a bug? that is with the default Tasks alarm.
    Have you tried using ProfileCare and letting it make the adjustments for you?

Other than that, are there specific applications where you want a vibrate status?

Jeff
  15.    #15  
    Not personally, I haven't. Doesn't seem like I should need a 3rd party app to make this work--seems so far like a Palm OS or generic Treo 650 bug that they should fix--but I'll certainly consider a third-party app as an interim solution.

The main application for this, speaking very broadly but very accurately, is nothing more than reliable task alarms, i.e., alarms that vibrate (as phone, message, and calendar alarms can) when the ringer is off, as sometimes it very much should be (meetings, social engagements, quiet places, very loud places [since vibrate works better there, too], etc.).

BTW, thanks for jumping in here, Jeff. You know more about the Treo than probably anyone else in this group!

I'll give ProfileCare a try, though I can't afford the time to do it today.

And I'm still extremely curious to know if task alarm vibration works for any Treo 650 right out of the box--zero confirmed instances so far. Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Have you tried using ProfileCare and letting it make the adjustments for you?

Other than that, are there specific applications where you want a vibrate status?

Jeff
    Jeff-

PC doesn't seem to fix this issue anyway. I was going to mention this to you but was waiting till you were somewhat less burried with other issues.

-X
    Xathros

17.    #17  
    BTW, I'm trying out the demo version of Agendus Pro, and when I let it manage alarms, task alarms do vibrate when the ringer switch is off (and this with no additional configuration changes)!!

This doesn't exactly resolve the issue--but it does offer one possible solution.

And it doesn't get Sprint/Palm off the hook: these should work right out of the box, obviously.

Which again brings up the recurring question: does anyone have confirmation that, on their Treo 650, task alarms do vibrate, at least when the ringer switch is off? I'm still planning on talking with Sprint about this, and so I'd still liuke to know others' experiences, especially if someone actually has this working on a vanilla Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRylander
    BTW, I'm trying out the demo version of Agendus Pro, and when I let it manage alarms, task alarms do vibrate when the ringer switch is off (and this with no additional configuration changes)!!

This doesn't exactly resolve the issue--but it does offer one possible solution.

And it doesn't get Sprint/Palm off the hook: these should work right out of the box, obviously.

Which again brings up the recurring question: does anyone have confirmation that, on their Treo 650, task alarms do vibrate, at least when the ringer switch is off? I'm still planning on talking with Sprint about this, and so I'd still liuke to know others' experiences, especially if someone actually has this working on a vanilla Treo 650.
    Any program that sends its sounds to the Alarm or System sound channel must manage vibrate alerts on its own. These sound channels have NO pre-programmed vibrate option. I will create a program that will allow you to add vibrate alerts to any application that produces alerts. Give me a few days.

Jeff
    I know why Palm never caught this bug/oversight during development. Its because there are never any due dates assigned to any tasks on their todo lists. If you don't set goals, you can't miss them.

-X
    Xathros

Using Datebk5, ver 5.4a, s5

Set up a ToDo with alarm (Datebk5 is handling alarms). It vibrated just fine with the mute button set to mute position.

Am I understanding the issue correctly?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast