1.    #1  
    Old news but just in case anyone had hopes of 650 Wifi support eventuating, sorry to burst your bubble...

-------------------------------------
    Hello [deleted],

Greetings!

We received a feedback from the higher engineers that as of now, Palm has no plans to develop drivers for the Treo 650 to use the Wi-Fi Card.

Thank you for choosing Palm.

Sincerely,

[deleted]
    Palm Technical Support

--- Original Message ---
    Hi [deleted],

are you able to confirm that Palm considers the Wi-Fi feature as
    something that it will support at some stage on the Treo 650 or have
    they moved it to the wish list of features which will be available only
    by purchasing the next model whenever it comes out ?

Cheers,
    [deleted]
    Looking for the Famous Co-op Network? Here is the link! - Read the FAQ!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Hmmm... this means to me either of four possibilities: (1) they really don't have any plans to release a WiFi driver at this time and are unsure of the future; (2) they don't want to disclose any information at this time since doing so will fuel speculation and numerous inquiries -- best to just wait until a formal press release is issued; (3) they really don't care to put in a modicum of effort even though it runs on numerous other (and cheaper) Palm devices and/or influence of carriers not to do so; or (4) the technical support team hasn't a clue and this is the safest response to parrot to consumers.

As the convenience of EVDO is apparently not an easily added alternative to WiFi for the Treo 650, I would think that Verizon and other carriers do not want to lose the $15-45 per month that Treo 650 users are paying for 1X or equivalent speed Internet access, despite the fact that you'll be screaming. You lived without it so far. Palm would also probably prefer you buy yet another Treo as soon as possible. They've given you plenty of incentive to do so by providing a meager 32MB of RAM.

While this is all speculation, any note such as this one isn't a good sign. Thanks for the post.
  3.    #3  
    My guess is it will be in the next model which will be a Treo 650 + built in Wifi and 64 Mb RAM and will cost 30% more.

I am trying to find out if there's an official procedure for voicing complains/feedback through to Palm tech team, I'll keep you posted
    I don't get it. Why are people so interested in wi-fi? My previous Tungsten C had wi-fi, which was extremely hyped up a few years ago. I thought wi-fi was going to be the next great thing available everywhere for free. It turns out in my area, there is hardly any free wi-fi anywhere, unless you want to pay for a cup of coffee somewhere.

That's why I'm so happy to have internet access pretty much anywhere and anytime I want with my Sprint Treo 650. My new favorite saying now is "I don't need no stinkin' wi-fi" :-)))
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    ...It turns out in my area, there is hardly any free wi-fi anywhere, unless you want to pay for a cup of coffee somewhere....
    Wifi availability is area specific I guess, its handy in countries where GPRS/WAP data charges are per kb and are quiet high (pretty much anywhere outside US).

No need to mention that wifi is also quiet a bit quicker than GPRS.

The way I see this issue (and seems like many others) its like buying a car but having its petrol/gas tank built so that you can only refuel it at the top 3 Petrol stations (say Shell, BP and Mobil). For a device which is the top (or 2nd top) in the Palm range, one would expect it would have all the features lower models have...

anyhow I can carry on about this issue until cows come home.
    wifi is great for those of us with home/office wifi networks as well.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    I don't get it. Why are people so interested in wi-fi? My previous Tungsten C had wi-fi, which was extremely hyped up a few years ago. I thought wi-fi was going to be the next great thing available everywhere for free. It turns out in my area, there is hardly any free wi-fi anywhere, unless you want to pay for a cup of coffee somewhere.

That's why I'm so happy to have internet access pretty much anywhere and anytime I want with my Sprint Treo 650. My new favorite saying now is "I don't need no stinkin' wi-fi" :-)))
    While wireless Intenet has an admitted conveince advantage, in addition to the answers above:

(a) Sprint is the cheapest wireless Internet access and it is not free. It ranges from $15 to $45 per month depending upon the service. There are a number of free WiFi access points in New York City and you can the best one near where you work and live if you need it. Free usually means loss leader for a period of time and it was. Today you can get it with thousands of access points in major US cities for $20/mo.

(b) WiFi is more than 10 times faster than your Sprint Internet service. It can be used with your Palm, laptop or any other WiFi enabled device. Other than email and very simple web browsing, the current network is not fast enough to support more significant use. Email retreival takes me 1-2 minutes over WiFi that would take easily 10+ minutes versus using my phone and just downloading the headers.

(c) It can double as a Voice Over IP phone that will work Europe too where your CDMA phone will not.

(d) In virtually every hotel or vacation spot where you travel, I have found WiFi Internet access, frequently for free. In vacation spots my phone coverage was spotty, if I could get coverage. I could set up my WiFi enabled phone to use the WiFi and not the expensive hotel call costs.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    One last thought hoping there will be no flames -- the Treo is a very useful device for many different people. For you, WiFi may not really be something that you'll use often. For those who have modest to large email requirements and WiFi in their business and home, they have different priorities. Going to Starbucks in the middle of the city yesterday at 5pm I counted 6 people on WiFi in a modestly sized store and I don't know how many PDAs. The way I look at it, it's a different tool that serves a different need than Bluetooth or DUN.