1.    #1  
    I have no idea how many songs I'll want to have on an SD card, but I know I'll want to have at least 1 audio book at a time to listen to and probably some radio shows as well. Any guesses as to how much room an 8-10 hour book would take up on a 512mb or 1gig SD card? There's a big price break in the 512 cards, at least this week -- $34.99 at Best Buy, compared with more than twice that for the 1Gig. But if it's clearly not big enough I"ll stop looking at them.
    They are usually broken up into 2 parts or more, depending on the length. My current audio book is 12 hours long approx in 2 6 hour chunks. Each is about 48mb I think... so depends if you want to keep the entire book on your SD or just the chunk you're listening to...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #3  
    OK, that's helpful -- a whole 12-hour book would fit. How about a movie though? (Part of me thinks I'd go blind LOOKING at a movie on that little screen, let alone reading the text of a book like some people are advocating; they might have younger eyes!)
    Depends on how much you compress the movie down but typically in the 150-400 mb range. Looking at the screen isn't the difficult part, it's figuring out the best way to prop up the treo (either in portrait or landscape mode) so you don't have to hold it the whole time
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."