1.    #1  
    Still curious about the magnum and signal strength issues. Does anyone who had the aluminum AND had signal strength issues with it, have the same problems with the magnum. If you didn't have signal issues with the alumninum and still don't, I am not interested.
    I too am curious about this. Actually the Pacific Rim Aluminum case...

I believe that you could use TreoHelper to gauge the signal strength inside and outside of the case. Some numbers would be helpful for others determining if they can handle the signal degredation provided by these metal cases.

Thanks in advance.
  3.    #3  
    Magnum users...are you out there?
    I and others have reported no decrease in the existing thread.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I and others have reported no decrease in the existing thread.
    But did you have decrease with the aluminum and no decrease with the magnum
    Quote Originally Posted by camels1993
    But did you have decrease with the aluminum and no decrease with the magnum
    people that put limitations on the kinds of responses the want rarely ge much respone at all.

I have not used the al. case, that's why I didn't respond at first...when you bump your post I figured some info was better than none.
  7.    #7  
    Just trying to get a clear answer. I know some people say the magnum isn't a problem, but some people said the aluminum wasn't a problem either. Had problems with the aluminum, don't want to buy the magnum if going to have the same issue.
    Anybody wanna give some real numbers on the magnum and aluminum cases???

Here's a program that gives RSSI values (the lower the RSSI the better):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...achmentid=9162

I would appreciate it if you could provide the numbers with and without the case(s) on....or a link to a thread with some real numbers of signal degradation would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by grndslm; 07/21/2005 at 12:44 PM.
    Ok, I have both cases, but not here at the same time. I'll post later with all the details, but here is the Mag vs standalone outside the case numbers.

Both tests have the unit sitting in my office on my desk on the same stand. The difference is in and out of the case.

In the case: RSSI numbers ranged from 11 - 18 Threshold 6
    Out of the case: RSSI number ranged from 12 -18 Threshold 6.

I'll do the same test at home with the alum, mag, and outside and hopefully remember to post tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodo
    Ok, I have both cases, but not here at the same time. I'll post later with all the details, but here is the Mag vs standalone outside the case numbers.
    Is there a reason you prefer the Mag to the alum??

Both tests have the unit sitting in my office on my desk on the same stand. The difference is in and out of the case.
    You rock my socks off!! Oh fooey, I can't end a sentence with a preposition...you rock off my socks!!

In the case: RSSI numbers ranged from 11 - 18 Threshold 6
    Out of the case: RSSI number ranged from 12 -18 Threshold 6.
    That doesn't look like too much of a difference to me. But those RSSI numbers are awfully low. I'm confused as to what the Threshold number is...anybody know??

I'll do the same test at home with the alum, mag, and outside and hopefully remember to post tonight.
    You better remember!! :-D

Thanks, dude!!
    Ok, here are the details with the different cases, but net-net I didn't notice any "material" difference in the numbers that I could attribute to the cases:

I reran all the tests at the same time again:

out of case RSSI 6- 16 threshold 6
    mag case rssi 8 - 13 thresh 6
    alum case rssi 4 - 13 thresh 6 (although never saw 4 again and saw 6 only once)

most common subjective number seen is 12.

remember that this is in my office with ok usable signal. there are 3 bars.

Summary, noticed no real difference between the cases.
    Sounds like the metal cases really don't hurt the signal after all. Might have to try the Pacific Rim case now instead of using the Hold-It Duck Tape: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90862.

Thanks rodo.
  13.    #13  
    The cases do hurt signal...I have seen it happen with an aluminum case.
    Quote Originally Posted by camels1993
    The cases do hurt signal...I have seen it happen with an aluminum case.
    Been using them for years, never a problem in practical usage. Have you owned one? I have had them for regular palms, Treo's, and PPC's with bluetooth, wifi and CDMA. Although I have frequently been able to measure a difference in signal strength using various software measuring tools, in practical usage I never had an issue, not one.

Currently using a Magnum with a Treo 650. No difference in my signal strength as used in normal day to day conditions.

I swear by the metal cases. From the Titanium (My fav!) to aluminum and magnesium, they are great protection and a cool look.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC