1.    #1  
    I am looking for a solution to use my treo 650 to play mp3's, audio books and streaming radio stations through my car stereo and speakers. in addition, I am looking for a car kit to route my phone calls through my car stereo as well. I have looked seriously at the CK3300 car kit, but I am not sure if it will work for all of this? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? If the CK3300 will not work, what will?

Thanks in advance
    First of all....what kinda setup do you have now? Cd player? cassete? fm radio?

If you have a cd player, what kind??

I for example, have a Pioneer DEH-P4700MP which has an auxiliary input on the back...I found a cable that hooks into it and has a 6 foot cable that goes directly to a 3.5mm adapter (which then goes to the 3.5 to 2.5mm adapter) and then to the Treo. I ordered it on Friday, so I should get it sometime in a couple days. (I hate ordering on Fridays!!)

Anyway, I hope this thread will shed on you all the light that your eyes can handle: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90343
    Pinche, the setup I have is a cassette for the mp3 player for the music and for the of course internet radio you can play with the pocket tunes from your treo 650.
    For the bluetooth speakerphnoe/mic, I use the driveblue from parrot. It works very well for me.
    I am not aware of any other way to connect the treo650 with the speaker system.
    Just find one of those solutions and you can hear everything over your speakers. PTunes, Aeroplayer, or Real will stop playing music and allow you to answer or reject the call. If you answer it, you hear their voice over the speakers as well....and you get a car mount or something to hold the treo directly in front of you so that you can speak into the mic.

The only thing that I'm worried about is feedback or reverberation...whatever it's called when the speakers are loud enough to be heard in the mic. I think this might be a problem in my car as I've got a pretty loud system and a turbo muffler. Hopefully if my windows are up and I turn the volume down it'll work well enough. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    The cassette connected for the mp3 player will let you listen over the speakers when you answer the call, but you can't use the mic, I believe.
  6.    #6  
    Sorry for not including all the info. My current deck is a pioneer DEH-P7200 CD player.
    Well, pinche....as far as I can tell, you have the same type of auxiliary input as my head unit. Which makes your searching unncecessary (almost). I'd still check with a local car audio store; at least call them to make sure that's what you need for your head unit.

Here are your specs: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...etailComponent.

What you're interested in is the "IP-Bus System Control"; I believe that's what the connector on the back of your head unit is called. Again, I'm no professional, I just found this out for myself 2 or 3 days ago.

The two cables that you should be able to use are on that link I provided you with in my above post. I chose to go with the $30 (after shipping) cable as it goes directly to a 3.5mm jack and has more than 4 extra feet of wire. You can pick whichever you'd like.

Hope that helps...but remember, CHECK with a car audio professional before you order!!!
  8.    #8  
    Awesome, thanks. I ordered the PIO-P-35MM cable and we'll see how it goes. I am no car stereo expert but it looks like you just plug this thing into the back of the deck? I guess after that you have to figure out some way to route the cable in through the dash? Also, still debating if I should get the CK3100 or CK3300(w/gps). These seem to be the best car kits avail for the treo 650 right now? Any opinions on either of these? Not sure how much I'll use GPS and if its worth it. Also, if I got he GPS route I suppose I'll need some kind of dash mount for the treo. Any suggestions there? Thanks again for all the help
    For those of you going the FM modulator route, check out the iRiver AFT 100 ($35 on Amazon). It works surprisingly well.
    ighitis you are correct the call plays through the car speaker but the mic on the phone can't be used.. that's when bt headsets come into play...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by pincherodriguez
    Awesome, thanks. I ordered the PIO-P-35MM cable and we'll see how it goes. I am no car stereo expert but it looks like you just plug this thing into the back of the deck? I guess after that you have to figure out some way to route the cable in through the dash? Also, still debating if I should get the CK3100 or CK3300(w/gps). These seem to be the best car kits avail for the treo 650 right now? Any opinions on either of these? Not sure how much I'll use GPS and if its worth it. Also, if I got he GPS route I suppose I'll need some kind of dash mount for the treo. Any suggestions there? Thanks again for all the help
    I wouldn't get the bluetooth car kit, but that's because I'm getting this cable and already have a car mount...you can play the mp3s on your sd card over your car's system and your audio player will automatically pause for an incoming call and allow you to play their voice over the speakers, while your voice will be picked up with the microphone.

Personally, I don't use gps because I know everywhere I'm headed. If not, I've got directory assistant to help me with directions!! If you have a data plan with your Treo...you might not find the gps unit worth it. I dunno, though...only you can answer what you'd use it for and what you need.

I'd definitely get a solar bluetooth gps device if i had the money to waste...but I don't.

But back to the car kit thing....I'd recommend waiting to try how this cable sounds for mp3s and phone calls and then determine if you wanna spend more money on stuff like car kits. You're at least going to need a car mount, that's for sure.

Hope you enjoy the cable.

EDIT: I misunderstood the call bit regarding the microphone...take donric's word for it as he has the setup already.
    Quote Originally Posted by donric609
    ighitis you are correct the call plays through the car speaker but the mic on the phone can't be used.. that's when bt headsets come into play...
    Oh man...I thought that's what I was buying this cable for. I dunno why I thought that would work.

Hmm....maybe I can get Jeff Gibson to ignore the Treo's microphone cancellation when speakers are connected to the treo!!
    from what I've read it works like that on the 600 but the 650 seems to cancel out the mic..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  14.    #14  
    ok so after everyones comments, I think I'm revising my wish list a little. I have already ordered the aux input cable and will be installing that soon. Sounds like I will still need to get a car kit though to have everything work through the stereo. If I opt for the CK3100 (no gps, I think grndslm is right in that I wont use it much) will I have any problems using the bluetooth car kit with the aux input cable attached? Also, if I go this route, I will also need some kind of mount for the treo. Preferibly one that charges the phone while its in the cradle/mount. Is there such a thing or is that to much to ask?
    I just found this cradle in another thread that I'm prolly gonna end up buying: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=15018&rd=1

Further info about the cradle can be found in this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90852.

It's not meant for a car, but it has a USB adapter, so you can buy a USB to DC adapter on eBay. Also, I'm not quite sure how or where I'm going to mount this cradle in my car....but I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later.
    I've recently added the CK3100 kit and a JVC KD-AR560 head unit to my car to get the configuration you are looking for. The combination works great!

Using the head unit's Aux jack on the front of the radio I can listen to MP3s. When I receive a call, the music mutes (mutes from the treo, if I am playing an MP3, or from the head unit if I am listening to the radio)

The JVC also has a Cell phone mute, CD/WMA/MP3 player, remote control, and is sirius ready, which is a definite upgrade from my Kia's stock tape deck.

for more details, check out:

JVC AR-KD560 link

bateekh
    KRamsauer,

Is it true that the "auto off" feature causes the iRiver to shut off frequently in the middle of quiet portions of music? Several complaints on Amazon about that.
    Hah! Yeah, that's a "feature." Just make sure the volume is high enough on your device, and you're all set. If you have the volume too low, it will think it isn't getting anything and turn off. Somewhat annoying, but easily fixed (just pump up the volume!). Where I don't know if this is an issue is with classical music and other types that tend to have mellow sections.

In reality, this is a pain at times, but you quickly realize what's wrong and you're on your way. A worthy trade off for truly amazing audio quality for an FM transmitter.
    K,

The complaint involved Pink Floyd! It's pretty orchestral. No prob, I'll just play something else in the car. But...how quickly does it swith off? Not in between songs? (Okay, that seems silly now that I've typed it, but really, how much silence is too much?)