Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    So the GSM value is the SNR not RSSI? I'm much more willing to believe a SNR of 25 dB (what my phone is currently reporting) than a RSSI of -25 dBm. We have repeators in the office but even with them I can't believe the signal would be that strong. I'm only getting about -40 dBm on my WiFi link and I can see the AP. Of course I'm comparing a 20 dBm/100 milliwatt WiFi AP to a 46 dBm/40 Watt GSM cell tower; but the distance to the cell tower is much larger.

I wonder what the threshold value is, a SNR of 6 dB is pretty bad. Though GSM voice is a very low bit rate and packet rate (voice sample every 20 milliseconds or so). They could switch to a modulation with higher FEC coding to get it through with the low SNR and still meet the bit rate requirement. But that wouldn't leave much bandwidth for the data traffic. I wonder if the threshold is adjustable? Going to a slightly higher value might improve performance when using GPRS/EDGE.
    Be carefull with *18, that was the old "follow me roaming" code. Either you enter *18 again or *180 to go back, I can't remember, but I remember when this was a hot topic about 2 years ago, people had to call Sprint to get that bit reset in the account. I did a search here, but found zip.. Perhaps GFunk will remember?
    i remember that. *18 will flag your account with a certain option and sometimes the *180 wont clear it...

if it messes up tho, it can seem like a hardware problem and you can usually get a new phone out of it... when they change the esn, it seems to clear the problem as well
    These days, follow-me roaming is technically a non-issue, except that modern networks, especially Verizon's, are a mishmash of old networks bought from extinct companies like GTE and AirTouch, and the handoffs among these aren't always smooth.

It seems reasonable for *18 to have been repurposed, but I can't find anything definitive on the matter that has been updated in the past eight years.
    I have service with Verizon on my 650. #*#DEBUG works to give me signal strength information, but I can't get *18 to work. Is there some prefix I should use other than "*" or "#*#"? This is such a cool feature it's killing me that I can't get it to "do" on my phone.

Thanks for your help.
    I believe this is a carrier specific code and the *18 is for Sprint. Not sure if other carriers have a similar feature or not.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    Be carefull with *18, that was the old "follow me roaming" code. Either you enter *18 again or *180 to go back, I can't remember, but I remember when this was a hot topic about 2 years ago, people had to call Sprint to get that bit reset in the account. I did a search here, but found zip.. Perhaps GFunk will remember?
    I did the whole *18 thing when this thread first came out. I left Baton Rouge and went to New Orleans over the weekend and wasn't able to receive any calls the whole time I was there. My buddy is a Sprint manager and he finally found out that every time I left an area I would have to enter the code again to reset my service. I'm not sure if I have resolved this issue yet.

The Sprint guy my friend contacted finally said that this is a useless code now and it should not be used. Beware.
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Can the OP edit his first message with this warning? I just quickly tried it without reading franks post above. Can't wait to find out what happens . . . (sarcasm)
    *180 returns things back to normal
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    *180 returns things back to normal
    I don't think that's true.....we might need to get more information on this. I'll ask my buddy to ask the guy and report back here.
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    The following is what I heard from my buddy after he asked the other Sprint guy: "Yes. It's an old code used to allow/prevent travel calls. The
    functionality has been disabled in most markets, but it does give a
    confirmation tone. All it will do is restrict incoming calls when
    traveling. It doesn't help service or find towers."

I have also attached the list of PCS codes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    well, this is an interesting development. its strange that this code, though it is old, was never purported to block incoming calls while traveling back when it was first introduced here 2 years ago.

how did someone get the idea it was used for tower signals then, I wonder?
    and when it was mentioned here at that time, no one had problems receiving incoming calls after using it..

hmm.

anyone else having trouble with blocked incoming calls when using this code?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    when it was mentioned here at that time, no one had problems receiving incoming calls after using it..
    I only had a problem when I left Baton Rouge (one set of towers as I understand it) and went to New Orleans (another set of towers). Admittedly, I really don't understand how this works but this was the explanation I received (i.e., I had to redo the *18 in order to be able to receive calls again).
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    well, this is an interesting development. its strange that this code, though it is old, was never purported to block incoming calls while traveling back when it was first introduced here 2 years ago.

how did someone get the idea it was used for tower signals then, I wonder?
    and when it was mentioned here at that time, no one had problems receiving incoming calls after using it..

hmm.

anyone else having trouble with blocked incoming calls when using this code?
    It's amazing that I had to look for this thread to resolve my problem. I travelled to Minneapolis last November from Washington DC and I was unable to receive any incoming calls while in Minneapolis (went straight to voicemail). I Called Sprint support and they did everything but were unable to resolve the issue then 1st week in January this year I went to Phoenix and the same thing happened while I was there.

I juggled my memory and remembered I had entered *18 at some point back in the day as a code to boost signal strength which became clear to me from my travelling experiences above that it actually locked to Washington DC tower no matter hence I wasn't able to receive calls out-of-state. The issue was resolved by doing *18 again to unlock my treo from the Washington DC tower.

Just my 2 cents!.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234