Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i have a CDMA sprint phone and it worked for me no problem,i was in an area with only one bar, did the code and got up to 3 bars....awesome!!
    to turn it off you use *180

i have noticed if you travel, you might have to turn the *18 off. I live in portland, when i travel to San Fran or LA, i have to *180 first then *18 again, because i have changed markets.
    Instead of checking signal bar strength with is not that accurate sometimes, you guys should all measure RSSI value before and after dialing *18.

Dial ##DEBUG (##33284) before dialing *18 and then again afterwards...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503
    i have a CDMA sprint phone and it worked for me no problem,i was in an area with only one bar, did the code and got up to 3 bars....awesome!!
    Yep, went from 1 bar to 3 on a SprintPCS CDMA phone.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    its a nice little capability to have at your disposal when you need a boost in signal strength, particularly when " murphy's law " happens and you're having problems with dropped calls in certain areas.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Instead of checking signal bar strength with is not that accurate sometimes, you guys should all measure RSSI value before and after dialing *18.

Dial ##DEBUG (##33284) before dialing *18 and then again afterwards...

can you explain the RSSI value? I gathered it had somethign to do with signal strength but dont KNOW what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by takmsdsm
    to turn it off you use *180

i have noticed if you travel, you might have to turn the *18 off. I live in portland, when i travel to San Fran or LA, i have to *180 first then *18 again, because i have changed markets.
    I'm on Verizon and always have only one bar at home and just dialed the *18 dial and it went to three bars. I tried the *180 dial and got a recording that there is no such number. I put the *18 on speed dial so I can dial it every morning when I turn the phone on. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd
    can you explain the RSSI value? I gathered it had somethign to do with signal strength but dont KNOW what it is.

Rssi is the signal to noise ratio. It's in negative numbers. Here is a little program to view them a little eaiser... This should work on 650's CDMA and GSM...

It is Decibles of signal to miliwatt's of power (or dbm).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    thank you much.

DO you happen to know what all the other junk in the debug screen means?

I get the channel numbers and the nid/sid are some type of carrier identifier but fingers and all those other numbers i cant seem to figure...
    I assume that *18 will only lock onto a roaming carrier if your primary is non existent, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by donric609
    The LIE is the worst... I try to avoid it as much as possible..
    Tell u what Don, I am a HUGE Grand Marnier connoisseur, I like Cuvee Louis-Alexandre when I can afford it or the Cuvee Speciale Cent Cinquantenaire.
    You ever brave the LIE, and we will enjoy a bottle. (But of course, NO driving afterwards)
    -g-
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Rssi is the signal to noise ratio. It's in negative numbers. Here is a little program to view them a little eaiser... This should work on 650's CDMA and GSM...

It is Decibles of signal to miliwatt's of power (or dbm).
    I loaded up this program, (Thanks for it BTW), & it immediately causes an error msg. Am i doing something wrong???
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    RSSI is the "Receive Signal Strengh Indication" which is typically reported in dBm, decibels referenced to one milliwatt. So a value of 0 dBm means you have a one milliwatt signal, a value of -20 dBm (which would give 4 bars) means you have a 0.01 milliwatt signal. The SNR is the difference between the noise floor (signal strength of the RF noise on the channel) and the RSSI of the data signal.

Normally roaming is controlled by the network not by the phone. This minimizes roaming events (which may interrupt data flow) and allows the network to balance load between cells. It also means the phone may stick with a weak signal much longer than you would want; forcing the phone to re-scan may result in a stronger cell being selected.
    Actually RSSI values on the Treo range approximately from -105 (no signal) to -50 (standing in front of a tower).
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggyFife
    I loaded up this program, (Thanks for it BTW), & it immediately causes an error msg. Am i doing something wrong???
    No, I programmed it to show error messages if it has any trouble getting the rssi or threshold. Threshold is irrelevent on CDMA phones, so ignore it. That's where your error was I'm guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    No, I programmed it to show error messages if it has any trouble getting the rssi or threshold. Threshold is irrelevent on CDMA phones, so ignore it. That's where your error was I'm guessing.
    Interesting. I don't get any errors running it on my SPCS 650. Just the notice from HB++ that the prog is for non comercial use or some such. Threshold just shows 0 and the RSSI value fluctuates as expected.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    That's what mine does as well. But I do get the error on a Treo 600. It just depends what software is on the phone. It's trying to check a value that doesn't "have" to be available on cdma as it means nothing.
    I just dialed *18 for the first time, and my Treo 650 immediately went into a soft reset. Is this normal?
    I have an rssi of 22 and a threshold of 6. So what does that mean? Is the RSSI actually the negative db scale? How does the threshold change and what is it?
    For GSM phones, your signal isn't exactly RSSI... I don't fully understand GSM, but as long as the signal (rssi) is greater than the threshold, you are good... the bigger the gap the better I believe
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast