Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    sorry for the double post.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    what is going on, fellas? this sounds like the coolest thing since bluetooth DUN!!

I'm with scandalex, I'd like to find out how long this lasts? Until you reset the phone or move closer to another tower?

Is this strictly the strongest Sprint signal or is it ALL signals (including Verizon)?? If it's just Sprint signals, then why doesn't this work all the time?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    if you dial *18 in and then don't see an improvement, then its likely that you are ALREADY locked onto the strongest sprint signal you can get at that time for that area.
    Maybe for certain areas, 1 or 2 bars are as strong as it gets. in other areas, where there may have 4 bars possible but you are only receiving 2 on your treo, *18 will lock you into the stronger signal when it locates it, bumping you to 4 bars.

I think it depends on where you are at the time. as far as how long it lasts - that I'm not sure about either. ill have to test it out a bit to see.
    I look forward to your test results.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "is this strictly the strongest Sprint signal or is it ALL signals (including Verizon)??

I believe this is good for all cdma signals - including verizon - but again we will have to test it out to see for sure.
    Its great to have this feature back again - it came in handy for me several times when I used my t600.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    so do you just go to the phone app and do *18 and then dial or do you go to the phone app and do ##*18# ???
    Hi, what exactly is the code? I tried *18 and I get a redirect roaming wireless for Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by evan666
    my test showd the same. I turned the phone off and back on and it went back to 2 bars. did *18 again and 4 bars. so u need to do it when the phone it turned on
    So how did you make it happen?
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    I originally had two bars and then I did the *18 and went down to 0 bars. Then I did it again and went back up to the original 2 bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    what is going on, fellas? this sounds like the coolest thing since bluetooth DUN!!

I'm with scandalex, I'd like to find out how long this lasts? Until you reset the phone or move closer to another tower?

Is this strictly the strongest Sprint signal or is it ALL signals (including Verizon)?? If it's just Sprint signals, then why doesn't this work all the time?
    Hey..

I came up through Chicago and stopped for the night in Racine, Wisconsin. My phone was still locked on a Sprint Network tower somewhere between Chicago and Racine with only 1 to 2 bars where I stopped. When I did the *18 + dial, apparently the phone locked on a tower near Milwaukee, Only 16 miles from my present location.

I have been checking the phone every couple of minutes and I am still on a solid 4 bar signal.

This would be great if it will work while roaming on Sprint affiliate towers.

Being an over the road trucker, driving all 48 states, I am going to test this out.

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    "is this strictly the strongest Sprint signal or is it ALL signals (including Verizon)?? I believe this is good for all cdma signals - including verizon - but again we will have to test it out to see for sure.
    Noo...I mean, if I have Sprint and pay for roaming...will it connect to the Verizon signal automatically if it's stronger than the Sprint signal? Or what if I don't pay for roaming? Will it connect to that stronger Verizon signal if I don't want it to? I'm assuming that it wouldn't connect if you had the roaming option turned off. I too will be waiting for some results.

Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    Its great to have this feature back again - it came in handy for me several times when I used my t600.
    This is a pretty amazing thing you've found/shared with us. Gracias, senor!
    Hey guys,

Glad to see most everyone is having success with this code. I used to use it on all my other Sprint phones. Someone said if you don't see an improvement in bars, you are already locked on the strongest tower - this is correct. I only get 1 bar in my house, so dialing *18 does nothing. It works well when you have been moving, and become stationary. It appears the CDMA phone "hangs onto" the last tower sometimes, and dialing *18 forces the handset to re-sync with the strongest tower.

Glad I remembered this (read it over at sprintusers.com years ago).
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    no doubt, eric. thanks a million for posting the code here.. we all appreciate it. I'm glad you remembered it because I was searching high and low without finding anything. you da man!!
    yup, yup...you rock my socks off, eric!!
    Kudos, this is a neat utility. I actually locked and picked up a bar as the phone went to roaming. I must be picking up the signal from another state just accross the water. Very neat can't wait to try it in NYC and the LIE (The worlds largest parking lot).
    Thanks
    -g-
    if you enter that code - does it program your phone to always find the strongest signal? or does the code get turned off, once you move networks, or turn the phone on again, etc?

overall, when does that code turn off?

THANK YOU!!!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie_g
    Kudos, this is a neat utility. I actually locked and picked up a bar as the phone went to roaming. I must be picking up the signal from another state just accross the water. Very neat can't wait to try it in NYC and the LIE (The worlds largest parking lot).
    Thanks
    -g-
    The LIE is the worst... I try to avoid it as much as possible..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "overall, when does that code turn off?"

I'm not sure we have the answer to this one yet. I'd imagine that it would last until you turn your phone off or soft reset the treo.
    when you turn the phone back on, you'd probably have to dial the code in again to get the maximum signal boost again.
    this is total speculation at this point, however. I think it will either take an inquiry to sprint's customer service or some testing to know for sure.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    my understanding is if the phone has a 'good enough' sgnal it won't switch cells. Imagine if you were half way between 2 cells and it switched everytime one signal or the other got slightly better- the phone would be ping ponging back and forth as you turned your head or trees moved in the wind, etc.

it also only checks every now and again if you are not actively making a call. every 1.28 seconds if I recall. that way the the radio is off most of the time so we get these extreme stanby times with cdma.

I bet *18 just tells it to scan now and pick the best tower even if the current one is 'good enough'.

with enough experimenting we should be able to figure out the threshold of when it is good enough and won't switch. sounds like from above 2 bars is 'good enough' and it won't swap until it gets lower.

i'de assume it's still abiding by the prl (tower preference rules for roaming)

if you really want to experiment do ##debug code before and after and see the signal strenghts.

(although I aint a clue what all the debug stuff says...)

just my understanding but after all i'm a cartoon character with a lisp....
    I Have a Cingular GSM 650 I've had the same results from cycling the radio Off Then back on. It then finds the strongest tower. apperantly the management software for the radio isnt smart enough to due this on its own unless the signal drops to a critically low level. Aint technology great..
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I don't think it's a flaw at all that the things don't constantly switch towers. that's the time when things are most likely to get screwed up and the time most likely to drop calls. its digital so the signal is good or bad- generally 4 bars is no better then 2 for quality.

also if you have an analog capable phone you don't want it going analog just because analog is slightly better then digital at one particular split second (although maybe they only go analog if digital totaly dies?)

and there is also the battery issue. I don't fully understand it but the digital phones last so much longer because they only turn the radio on every so many fractions of a second to talk to the tower when there is no active use (i THINK cdma does .01 second intervals and each phone is assigned a slot every 128 units by the tower.) If tower a talked to your phone at sequence 128 but tower b assigns sequence 65 then concievably if the phone got in a fringe spot and switched between tower a and b over and over again your battery would last literally half as long.

playing around with the debug code a bit seems that -89 in the top line of the debug is the cutoff (for vzw at least). (which is in the 2 bar range). i'm in an office building and if I have -89 or greater the debug shows steady numbers for cell (800 vs 1900mhz, channel number, and sid/nid pair) in areas at -90 or less the debug shows the phone bouncing all over looking for a better signal. in one spot of the building I can actually see it bounce between 4 differnt cells non-stop looking for something better- its pretty wild.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast