1.    #1  
    the hardware of the treo 650 is solid and i love it. the software however is extremely crippled. for example, i'm finding that i can't get enough use out of my 2GB SD card. many applications need to be in the RAM, and the favorite page cannot run applications that are in the SD. Even if i create shortcuts/aliases the performance would drop significantly.

the features and customization are extremely limited. it's very apparent that the people who work at palmsource are either very lazy or were taught the "simplicity" concept the wrong way. for instance, i can't get my treo to only beep once then vibrates when someone calls ... that's such a simple feature that should've been included along with many other features that should allow the user to customize the phone according to his/her needs.

i really been wanting a treo for a very long time. but every time i get swayed. first i bought SE P900 then i went with other solutions. but now i tried the treo, and now i'm convinced as to why i have been avoiding it. i will return it on monday and order the new HP hw6515. i trust HP. i used a handheld pc by HP that ran Windows CE 2000 and i loved it. Windows CE or PPC is intuitive and natural. big guys are behind it. not a losing company like palmsource, which doesn't exist any more LOL!!

any how...

see you when the treo gets the microsoft os.

note: i might change my mind tomorrow when i wake up. i'll sleep on it :P
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    wow - i like the treo because the software is so solid. I just changed from an XDAIIs because of stability issues. I found the xda hardware far supperior to the treo ( wi-fi,slide out keypad, landscape, design) but had to change because I just couldn't trust WM2003SE. Had a hard reset a day for the longest while. Then sometimes the machine would loop which would knock out the GSM radio until I soft reset. Then there was the bluetooth patch that was required before the blueotth radio could even be used.
    Last edited by fly888; 07/17/2005 at 05:42 AM.
    msafi, I understand that you're frustrated. You want what you feel to be basic features, that you've had in other phones to be there on the Treo. From some of your other posts, IMO, I dont think you have quite accepted the fact that the Treo 650 is not your ordinary phone.

You've stated that you want 2 things - the abilty for your phone to beep 1 time, but then you said you want 1 beep and a continually vibrate, "just like the Nokia!" You're not using a Nokia anymore, and if you're that hell bent that it should perform like a Nokia, then a Nokia is what you need to keep using.

I would love Samsung phones to perform like Sanyo; but it aint ever gonna happen!

You're other issue is auto-capitalization - you want it disabled. According to you,
    the search feature of treocentral.com has been my friend now for more than 2 years.
    Some of us have been searching for a long time, and still havent found the answers we're looking for. You originally posted 2 days ago about the AC, and so soon you're ready to throw in the towel. Have you stopped searching? Have you searched forums besides TreoC - there are plenty of them?

If you do a little more searching, or even allow more people to help you, maybe you'd get the help/answers you're looking for. There were about 3 people that tried to help you with the one ring issue and you were very quick to shoot down anything they suggested.

Do yourself a favor....chant or something. The Treo 650 is not a Nokia.

Sometimes there are working alternatives to what you may WANT and CANT have.

BTW - hope you slept well.

Dont be so quick to give up on it and open yourself up to something new. Its called accepting change.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Yeah, I looked at your other posts too. I think you have unreasonable expectations for the Treo and are frustrated when it doesn't do exactly what you want. When someone gets a Treo, they do need to be flexible and accept that it is a powerful pda/phone combo, meaning it does a lot, but not everything well. I think if you were willing to be more flexible in what you want, and learn to use the Palm OS with some of the excellent programs available, you would see how great the 650 is.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    As much as I've knocked Palm for not listening to users and doing stupid things, I have to disagree with you about customization. Simply because you can't do a "ring-vibrate" mode out of the box doesn't mean the design is awful. You can do this with third party software and the vibrate mode is in the phone. Not a huge issue although they could do more in this area.

The 32 MB of RAM is a whole different issue and reason enough to rip Palm for trying to increase their net profit by cutting a most obvious of corner in the most critical area. Unfortunately that alone limits the usability of the phone for business apps, as others have mentioned.

Having used both systems, I still prefer Palm at the moment although PPC keeps getting better. I think Palm has let the others play catch up while it invests itself in endeavors of limited worth when it should be improving the current OS and hardware.
  6.    #6  
    hello everyone,

the ring once-vibrate thing is only an example of part of the problem. it isn't the whole problem. another example of how limited the built-in functions of the OS are would be the Contacts program. how many display/sorting options can you get? only two? unbelievable!! how many users struggle to find a good replacement for the built-in contacts application?

all that said, i'll probably be keeping the treo 650. i realized that the hp ppc is not what i really want now. and i found out that using shortcuts/aliases doesn't really lower the performance "significantly". but i still believe that PPC is better than palm. i just like the hardware of the treo very much and i can also live with some of the good features of the palm os.

thank you all for sharing your views.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msafi
    the ring once-vibrate thing is only an example of part of the problem. it isn't the whole problem. another example of how limited the built-in functions of the OS are would be the Contacts program. how many display/sorting options can you get? only two? unbelievable!! how many users struggle to find a good replacement for the built-in contacts application?
    If these are your problems then consider yourself incredibly lucky. Every piece of technology has it's pros and cons. The inability of the phone to ring once and then vibrate seems extremely minor when there is a ring and vibrate mode on the phone. Regarding the contacts application, the stock isn't great but so what? I'd replace them anyways with software that developers spent time on perfecting. I use Agendus Standard which is superb. Others swear by datbk5. I'm sure you'll find other limitations but by and large, even though the new version has a ridiculous preferences layout, I still find it more than acceptable overall.

all that said, i'll probably be keeping the treo 650. i realized that the hp ppc is not what i really want now. and i found out that using shortcuts/aliases doesn't really lower the performance "significantly". but i still believe that PPC is better than palm. i just like the hardware of the treo very much and i can also live with some of the good features of the palm os.
    Good for you. As of right now I think the Palm form factor and keyboard are superior and cannot understand why only blackberries are similar. Good luck with it and I think you'll find many answers to deal with most of the annoyances here.
    AutoCorrect

hope this helps
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by msafi
    hello everyone,
    msafi, your right. Out the box, contacts is a joke; for some, thats not a biggie, to others, it means the world. I use Angendus Pro, others prefer DateBk5. So really, you're not as limited as you may think.

thank you all for sharing your views.
    Winblows is to Palm as Nokia is to Treo. Each has its good and bad and both have moments which make you want to throw them out the window. If you're sure that PPC is the route you dont want to go, then drop all thoughts of it and, for lack of a better phrase, embrace Palm. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you wont be disappointed, its too late for that. But I will say what I said before, once you're ready to accept change, you'll like what your 650 has to offer (and 3rd party apps really wont hurt).
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    You can get my treo to only beep once then vibrates when someone calls right out of the box.
    Put the ringtone to Beep once (any short ringer on the Sounds section) and Vibrate.
  11.    #11  
    mateen,

that's not true. the ringtone repeats itself until the caller hangs up. any how, i solved my problem. i beamed Alert Beep.mid to my computer, added 40 seconds of silence to the end, and beamed it back to the treo. it's working nicely now. i'll see if that'll damage my speaker, in which case i'll have to send it for repair under the warranty. :|

thank u all for your support,
    I'm frustrated too. My Treo doesn't want to tell me where I left my car keys and why my wife is pissed at me today. I thought it was a "smart" phone, I'm going to return it because it doesn't meet my expectation. I guess next time they call this crap "smart" they better make sure at least it knows why I can't get my dog to bring me my news paper before I finish my breakfast.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I'm frustrated too. My Treo doesn't want to tell me where I left my car keys and why my wife is pissed at me today. I thought it was a "smart" phone, I'm going to return it because it doesn't meet my expectation. I guess next time they call this crap "smart" they better make sure at least it knows why I can't get my dog to bring me my news paper before I finish my breakfast.

Al
    Whenever I first got the Treo 300...it was purely amazing to me that I could get on the internet from anywhere in this country!! I didn't care if the page took 15 minutes to render a page, because I went out of my way to find uses for that phone. Other than that, taking memos, and a couple other things, the phone really couldn't do that much...at least compared to the 650, which can play Nintendo ROMs, crystal clear movies and MP3s, fast browsing, bluetooth DUN, bluetooth everything, etc.

All you sissies need to go back to the Nokia 5190!!! Oh wait, that's right...you can't, because you've been spoiled by this amazing Treo device. Hahaha, Palm now has you by the testicles!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA....auto-correction my rear end. What you're saying is that the phone is smarter than you!!

Nah, I'm just kiddin'. I just wanted to say Nokia 5190 in a sentence. I remembered those numbers '5190' the other day and felt depressed that I actually remembered what they meant in cell phone terms. Then I cheered up again, because I also remembered it's my job to know geeky stuff like that. I do hope that it's on a future version of Trivial Pursuit - 'twould make winning the game so much easier!!

P.S. - On a more serious note, I think Al was on to something with the bluetooth key ring!! I mean, think about it. You get those wireless buttons to press when you lose your keys...but you lose those buttons, which means you can't find your keys when you need to. But you can't lose your phone (at least as long as it's charged and not switched to silent) since it's attached to your belt/pocket/hand, so you get a bluetooth key ring...and you'll never lose your keys!!! Definitely one of only two practical uses for bluetooth IMO (the other being DUN). High five for Al!