Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There is a link on the Palmone website under support for a SURVEY of the support site. Considering that they don't even respond to their own forum, maybe they will listen here. State your dissatisfaction with the delay of the Cingular update for our treos!
    Last edited by tlcbob; 07/20/2005 at 11:26 AM.
    Bob
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Not sure who is causing the delay...but I am pretty sure it is Cingular and not palm
    Glad I went ROW a while back. . .
    I give them one more week to get their act together...
    Then I too, will get on the ROW bandwagon

This is frustrating!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer

This is frustrating!
    I couldn't take it any longer. Glad I didn't wait. I was checking for the update 10 times a day, cause I thought it was going to happen any time.
    Someone here posted that the update would be out around the 27th. Just passing on the rumors...
    Treo 650 with 1 GB SD card!
    http://www.rkuo.com
    What does PalmOne (now Palm) have to do with Cingular's snail pace in releasing their branded ROM? Palm already released it for unbranded, its up to Cingular to get their act together.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    I couldn't take it any longer. Glad I didn't wait. I was checking for the update 10 times a day, cause I thought it was going to happen any time.
    I'm just a bit worried about going ROW and then not being able to install the Cingular upgrade over it later on -- IF it ever materializes...
    Mark
    I went ROW three days ago. With Cingular you're pretty much on your own anyway. Might as well be on your own with the latest software/firmware. Running smooth since upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeXTLoop
    I went ROW three days ago. With Cingular you're pretty much on your own anyway. Might as well be on your own with the latest software/firmware. Running smooth since upgrade.

What he said.
    Personally I don't see any compelling reason not to wait. My unit is fine the way it is for now.

What problems are people having that make doing the ROW upgrade so alluring? What's it giving you that's necessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Personally I don't see any compelling reason not to wait. My unit is fine the way it is for now.

What problems are people having that make doing the ROW upgrade so alluring? What's it giving you that's necessary?
    Adding on to greenie's question.....Do you want the update simply because there's been one for others? Do you want the update because without it you feel your 650 is lacking something? Are you going to stop using your Treo because Cingular hasnt done what you think they should?

Quote Originally Posted by tlcbob
    There is a link on the Palmone website uder support for a SURVEY of the support site. Considering that they don't even respond to their own forum, maybe they will listen here. State your dissatisfaction with the delay of the Cingular update for our treos!
    Seems to me you're prepared to go after the wrong party; your issue is with Cingular, not Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer
    This is frustrating!
    And do you really believe that if you've waited all this time, one more week is going to do the trick. Suck it up and do ROW now if its that critical to you. If it not, you'll wait and wait and wait just like every other person that is waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by rkuo
    Someone here posted that the update would be out around the 27th. Just passing on the rumors...
    Rumors on T|C may get you shot.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Yeah, same as what Scandalex and Greenberg said.

My Treo 650 is running fine. It doesn't crash. The apps all fit in the available memory. It receives my beeps, pages, e-mails. It surfs the web. It plays music. It streams internet audio. It takes pictures. It makes my colleagues with Blackberries drool.

Why is everyone so damn eager and whiny? In fact, just like every other "update", I will let all of you overeager beavers try the update and suffer its glitches and work out the bugs. Same as I do with Mac OS updates, Dragon Nat Speak updates, Novell Groupwise updates, Mozilla updates, etc.

So while a lot of you obviously want the update early, I won't even take it when it becomes available right away! I am grateful that you eager folks will test out the update for me and de-bug it. Thanks!

-- Josh

10MB of NEW RAM was enough for me.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner

A) The main reason is that even with my data pared down just about as much as I possibly can... I barely have 2 megs left free. It won't take much for me to flat run out of RAM from here on.

B) I still am getting occasional mystery resets around once per day. No big deal; but annoying. Upgrade is supposed to be more stable with less crashes.

C) My bluetooth headset gets pretty finnicky sometimes. Hoping the upgrade helps this as well. Who knows. Right now, soft resets fix the problem.

All in all, if Palm has done it's part and addressed some of the more common issues, it would be nice if Cingular cared enough about its customers to expedite the realease that everyone else seems to have.

Again, I would like to have official Cingular software on my Cingular Treo (and worry that if I bail and install ROW, I may never be able to go back to Cingular firmware)... but I'm not going to wait forever. Hence my frustration; and it is a frustration that is widely shared by Cingular customers here on TC.

Mark
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Cingulars approach of say nothing seems to be taking its toll on many cingular users here including myself. If they stepped up to the plate and explained why the delay (bug fixes, additional enhancements, etc.) I am possitive that Cingular users would be atleast somewhat more patient...but by sitting there and saying nothing, really frustrates most people to possibly in the future move away from a company that does not appear to hear their customers speak.

just my 2 cents

rob
  17.    #17  
    Yeah - MHZIMMER - I echo your frustrations.
    And PALM is not the angel in this picture- either. If they weren't - why would they be giving away free memory to appease the public. I really doubt that Cingular has engineers programming the ROM. They probably supply the customizations to PALM for the ROM firmware - I am sure that PALM is the architect of the main code.
    I can't even imagine that Cingular engineers are coding this thing, when they don't even know what data plans the unit supports! '

Also - palm has placed a tech support message board on its site that it never answers. Might as well scrap it then have it there unmonitored.

And to add to mhzimmer's list :

1) Updated Versamail
    2) Native DUN
    Last edited by tlcbob; 07/17/2005 at 12:40 PM.
    Bob
    Cingular has to test the new ROM to make sure it is compatible with their network. Palm is not going to do this for them. Cingular decides when a ROM upgrade for their Cingular-branded Treos goes out, not Palm. This is the way it is.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Cingular has to test the new ROM to make sure it is compatible with their network. Palm is not going to do this for them. Cingular decides when a ROM upgrade for their Cingular-branded Treos goes out, not Palm. This is the way it is.
    My issues are not related to Cingular (signal, etc.) as much as with Palm (memory, Versamail, DUN, reboots, etc.) Who designed the software??? Palm or Cingular. I don't think Cingular goes around designing firmware for all of their phones. The phone manufacturers customize their phones to work with the carriers with the carriers' input.

Who knows the truth in this matter. Seems like a lot of finger pointing at Cingular. I would think that they are in the mobile service business and not the phone business.
    Bob
    I guess if you're that close to running out of memory I could see your hope that the upgrade would free some up for you.

I have everything I can on a 1 gig SD card. I still have 11 MB free. I probably am running over fifty apps on my Treo now. I only install an app into RAM if it absolutely has to be there. If I only had 2 MB free I be doing the ROW update too.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast