Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    What does PalmOne (now Palm) have to do with Cingular's snail pace in releasing their branded ROM? Palm already released it for unbranded, its up to Cingular to get their act together.
    Actually...What I heard from Palm Engineering was that the Cingular ROM was still in their hands (palm). They were planning to release it to Cingular on the 7/20 and then Cingular would start distributing to customers on the 7/27.
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    Actually...What I heard from Palm Engineering was that the Cingular ROM was still in their hands (palm). They were planning to release it to Cingular on the 7/20 and then Cingular would start distributing to customers on the 7/27.
    I sure do hope that info is correct! Thanks for sharing...
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    Start the clock?
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    Start the clock?
    Since EVEN Verizon got off their keesters, hopefully, we won't have long to wait...
    David
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tlcbob
    Yeah - MHZIMMER - I echo your frustrations.
    And PALM is not the angel in this picture- either. If they weren't - why would they be giving away free memory to appease the public. I really doubt that Cingular has engineers programming the ROM.
    Uhhh no. Palm has released ROM's in time for all of THEIR unlocked units. The other vendors get a reference ROM in which they modify with their own changes. It is not Palm's responsibility to create a ROM for everyone who wants it, they just create the reference ROM in the developer kit.

Now, the wireless company on the ball with updates seems to be Rogers Wireless. Makes sense as smaller companies tend to care about their customers more. Sprint seems to be doing a good job with it too. Verizon is lagging behind updates and so is Cingular.

Actually, im not sure about Verizon because the updates for Sprint, Cingular and the others seem to include the NVFS optimizations to make it more stable. Verizon included the NVFS optimizations with 1.0 (initial release). 1.03 just updated the built in wireless sync mail application and updated roaming capability. So was verizon the first one to have NVFS optimizations because it was already stock with the unit? At any rate ... they still have bluetooth DUN disabled, and i'm still mad about that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuopus
    Uhhh no. Palm has released ROM's in time for all of THEIR unlocked units. The other vendors get a reference ROM in which they modify with their own changes. It is not Palm's responsibility to create a ROM for everyone who wants it, they just create the reference ROM in the developer kit.
    I dont believe that is entirely true (at least in the case of Cingular)....As I posted a ways back...palm engineering told us they were in fact still working on the ROM for/with cingular and there part was supposed to be finished today (well after they put out the generic GSM ROM)..Its then Cingulars call to release it (supposed they will make it available to at least some customer by 7/27.

I have not got an update updated status this week (too busy to check), but I see hints of its impending release (and somebody else posted similiar info today)
    Is it just me, or do all Cingular GSM phones have to be manually turned on after even soft resets? My buddy's VZW automagically comes to life as soon as the reset is over. Am I missing something, or, is this a shortfall in Cingular's implementation of the Palm OS?
    David
    I thought all the Treos were this way.

In any event there are several third party apps which turn the radio on after a reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I thought all the Treos were this way.

In any event there are several third party apps which turn the radio on after a reset.
    I thought they were all alike as well until I saw my friend's do it's thing. I've looked around for 3rd party apps that supply this function, but haven't found anything yet. Specific suggestions (if known offhand) would be appreciated.
    David
    Lightwav
    Treo Guard
    Phone Technition
    Radio Control

Just to name a few
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsilver
    Is it just me, or do all Cingular GSM phones have to be manually turned on after even soft resets? My buddy's VZW automagically comes to life as soon as the reset is over. Am I missing something, or, is this a shortfall in Cingular's implementation of the Palm OS?
    I actually have a VZW and the phone does come on automagically ... but does not if it reboots quickly .. kind of wierd.

At any rate, there are a few programs that can turn the phone on for your when you reset. TreoGuard and Butler both can do this ... both really good software. If you also want MP3 ringtones I suggest TreoGuard. Both good software.
    I actually have a VZW and the phone does come on automagically ... but does not if it reboots quickly .. kind of wierd.

At any rate, there are a few programs that can turn the phone on for your when you reset. TreoGuard and Butler both can do this ... both really good software. If you also want MP3 ringtones I suggest TreoGuard. Both good software.
    Thanks - much appreciated! I know that Phone Technician does this, but wasn't aware that Butler (which I am trialing) did it as well. What menu is it hiding under?
    David
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsilver
    Thanks - much appreciated! I know that Phone Technician does this, but wasn't aware that Butler (which I am trialing) did it as well. What menu is it hiding under?
    Woops I just looked on my friends butler .... its not in there. I'm afraid I was mistaken. It is for sure in TreoGuard though.
    Woops I just looked on my friends butler .... its not in there. I'm afraid I was mistaken. It is for sure in TreoGuard though.
    Thanks for the clarification - thought I was going blind...
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Glad I went ROW a while back. . .
    And people scoffed at me for buying an unlocked GSM model... I started ROW, updated ROW, and never ever have to worry about when a wireless provider feels like it's ready to release their lobotomized firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlcbob
    PALM is not the angel in this picture- either. If they weren't - why would they be giving away free memory to appease the public.
    Uh, you do realize this is no longer happening, right? It only happened due to customer upset over the crappy memory management... and has been addressed by the latest firmware. As someone else in this thread mentioned already, a significant gain in free RAM (depending on how much of what kind of data you have stored) is but one of the significant improvements to be expected in this new release.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Cingular has to test the new ROM to make sure it is compatible with their network. Palm is not going to do this for them. Cingular decides when a ROM upgrade for their Cingular-branded Treos goes out, not Palm. This is the way it is.
    Well, those of us unlocked customers on Cingular's network can quite confidently assert the firmware works just fine, thank you very much. :-) Now, as to the *customizations* Cingular makes... that may be another story. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy being on UNcustomized firmware?
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Well, those of us unlocked customers on Cingular's network can quite confidently assert the firmware works just fine, thank you very much. :-) Now, as to the *customizations* Cingular makes... that may be another story. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy being on UNcustomized firmware?
    I believe you may have mentioned it, yes, you may have...
    David
    Let's see:

1. Memory
    2. Louder speaker
    3. Memory
    4. Stability
    5. Memory
    6. DUN

Ooh - there's the solution to the mystery - Cingular hasn't figured out how to "hack out" the DUN feature that appears in the ROW version. I've got a 2gb card, but I've found that for me Snappermail, Datebk5, and DocsTo Go get pretty dicey when memory gets below 5mb.

Besides, there is NO valid excuse that phones released FAR after the Cingular version gets theres first. And yes, I am the type who gets upset when the table next to me, seated 15 minutes later, gets its meal before mine....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    Start the clock?
    at least for my group...yes

we are still being told we will have it on the 27th (even being hand delivered)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast